996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

AMS k16 Billet's... Who's got them on their cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 PM
slick858 has a spectacular aura aboutslick858 has a spectacular aura aboutslick858 has a spectacular aura about
AMS k16 Billet's... Who's got them on their cars?

I was talking to Tony over at EPL and he said that he had these on his personal car and absolutely loves them for the street, wanted to see if anyone else has them and how much power they have seen with their setups.

Tommy

Old 10-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Our billet hybrid K16 turbos are capable of 600+rwhp on 93 octane pump fuel with the correct supporting modifications.

Best,
Neil

Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Our billet hybrid K16 turbos are capable of 600+rwhp on 93 octane pump fuel with the correct supporting modifications.

Best,
Neil

OK , I have to ask the question.
Whats are the K16 billet Hybrid. what makes them so different to standard k16 which are so restrictive. I have standard K16's at the moment. I will have to look at alternatives some point in the future and K24 26g were looking to be the way to go. So the question still stands. why go to the billet.
Thanks for any information
Frank

Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 AM
☣MUSCLE☣ has a spectacular aura about☣MUSCLE☣ has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
OK , I have to ask the question.
Whats are the K16 billet Hybrid. what makes them so different to standard k16 which are so restrictive. I have standard K16's at the moment. I will have to look at alternatives some point in the future and K24 26g were looking to be the way to go. So the question still stands. why go to the billet.
Thanks for any information
Frank
"Billet" refers to the replacement of the stock compressor wheel with a larger billet wheel for more flow. This gives you the same rate of spool but with more flow resulting in much more power.

The most important aspect of these K16 hybrids is to retain stock spool characteristics. Reaching boost between quickly between 2300 and 2500rpm as apposed to the larger garrets which hit boost anywhere between 3700-4300rpm.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:45 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ☣MUSCLE☣
"Billet" refers to the replacement of the stock compressor wheel with a larger billet wheel for more flow. This gives you the same rate of spool but with more flow resulting in much more power.

The most important aspect of these K16 hybrids is to retain stock spool characteristics. Reaching boost between quickly between 2300 and 2500rpm as apposed to the larger garrets which hit boost anywhere between 3700-4300rpm.
Thanks,
So how much of the standard K16 is retained??
What are the power limitations of the K16 Billet Hybrid??
How much do you recon it costs to mod a new set of K16's with about 2000 miles on them??
Thanks again.
Frank

Old 10-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Thanks,
How much do you recon it costs to mod a new set of K16's with about 2000 miles on them??
Thanks again.
Frank
There are many tuners out there that will do that for you successfully. I suggest you take a look at these two to give you an idea

911tuning (Markski)

http://www.911tuning.com/996-Turbo/S...75HP-p-84.html

Switzer Innovation (Neil who just posted above my post)
P700 KIT (Look at his dyno, ridiculous)

http://www.switzerperformanceinnovat...996tt_p93.html

Regarding what is retained. The entire housing of your turbo is retained. You send them your core to modify the internals (Compressor, some tuners clip the turbine wheel etc.)

Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 AM
There are many tuners out there that will do that for you successfully. I suggest you take a look at these two to give you an idea

911tuning (Markski)

http://www.911tuning.com/996-Turbo/S...75HP-p-84.html

Switzer Innovation (Neil who just posted above my post)
P700 KIT (Look at his dyno, ridiculous)

http://www.switzerperformanceinnovat...996tt_p93.html

Regarding what is retained. The entire housing of your turbo is retained. You send them your core to modify the internals (Compressor, some tuners clip the turbine wheel etc.)
Thanks for the links,
I now remember Markski did the mod ( thanks for the remind lol) I forgot about the K16g modification all together. I will be looking for upgraded Turbos' once my Tip has been to MKB . Its already started to slip in 3rd to 4th changes.
I already run a 100 cell Miltek exhaust, par diverters and K&N filter and Revo stage 2 map @ 1.0 bar, so with Turbos, IC's and a Revo stage 3 map & 5 bar FPR I will be there. ( Still a way to go though. The Tip box is the problem at the moment).
Frank.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 10-31-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:21 AM
Thanks for the links,
I knew Markski did the mod, I just forgot all about the K16g modification. I will be looking for upgraded Turbos' once my Tip has been to MKB . Its already started to slip in 3rd to 4th changes.
I already run a 100 cell Miltek exhaust, par diverters and K&N filter and Revo stage 2 map @ 1.0 bar, so with Turbos, IC's and a Revo stage 3 map & 5 bar FPR I will be there. ( Still a way to go though. The Tip box is the problem at the moment).
Frank.
Excellent.

Yes, I am upgrading my tip also. I am working on an 800whp package which should be done by the end of the year. Since Mark's done your upgrade continue to work with him on what you are doing.

Have you done any PBOX runs on your car? What's it like on the current setup?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:25 AM
Excellent.

Yes, I am upgrading my tip also. I am working on an 800whp package which should be done by the end of the year. Since Mark's done your upgrade continue to work with him on what you are doing.

Have you done any PBOX runs on your car? What's it like on the current setup?
Alas, sorry you misunderstood. Markski hasn't worked on my car. I'm in the uK. All the work was done my me, apart from the Revo Technik flash.
but you are correct, it would be very good to work with him on my modding. The thing is I dont want to waste any of his time at the moment, I am a very slow moder. What I dont want is to get Mark involved at an early stage and then do nothing myself for the next 6 months. When its time, I will call on his help along with 996ttalot ( Ken) and Par over here.
As to my set up, I can only tell you what I know and I wont make up figures so;
The car was on the dyno completely standard plus a K&N filter &a Revo Technic stage 1 and produced 482 BHP @ FW and 550 ft lbs Torque.
I then fitted a Miltek 100 Cell motor sport exhaust( which is supposed to give a 20-30 bhp increase) and a Revo Technik stage 2 with aggressive boost ( 1.0 Bar) supposed to give 7-10 % increase and finally a set of Par m/sport DV's
So on paper only 482 + 30 = 512 bhp +7%= 547bhp a' 1.0 bat on 99 octane fuel.
I'm not sure if it is or is not. I know it feels very quick, but not a quick as my 550 bhp Cosworth ( but weighed less though).
I haven't any times, as since I have done the stage 2 tune the tip is slipping so I back off the power just a bit when i change from 3rd to 4th. Its going to let go though, I know that.
Frank
frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 10-31-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:29 AM
Alas, sorry you misunderstood. Markski hasn't worked on my car. I'm in the uK. All the work was done my me, apart from the Revo Technik flash.
but you are correct, it would be very good to work with him on my modding. The thing is I dont want to waste any of his time at the moment, I am a very slow moder. What I dont want is to get Mark involved at an early stage and then do nothing myself for the next 6 months. When its time, I will call on his help along with 996ttalot ( Ken) and Par over here.
frank
Understood. What is the power like at your current setup, have you PBOXed it or run against anybody?

Old 10-31-2010, 04:32 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Thanks,
Thanks again.
Frank
The top end power is what is said to be lacking with K16 based Turbo's. And there aren't many performance numbers out there other than AMS's project car. I'm currently stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to decide between the AMS/EPL Billet 16's and EPL A28's which are also in a similar position concerning numbers.

The 16's seem to spool just a tad bit faster and no running water lines on the install. For my application, spool is everything, but from what I've read the A28's may have better top end, which is hard to pass up. This is why the lack of real world numbers is causing me to hold tight. Someone has to come up with something sooner or later. But I'm leaning towards A28's.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
The top end power is what is said to be lacking with K16 based Turbo's. And there aren't many performance numbers out there other than AMS's project car. I'm currently stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to decide between the AMS/EPL Billet 16's and EPL A28's which are also in a similar position concerning numbers.

The 16's seem to spool just a tad bit faster and no running water lines on the install. For my application, spool is everything, but from what I've read the A28's may have better top end, which is hard to pass up. This is why the lack of real world numbers is causing me to hold tight. Someone has to come up with something sooner or later. But I'm leaning towards A28's.
Go for the A28s. The spool is incredible especially when those turbos are modified and the top end is ridiculous. You also have the option of GT30s in 3071 trim. You can have the quick spool of the A28s with the power of the 3076 when done right.

If you're stepping up to A28s then it's a different league to the K16s. You can both make 600whp. The difference is that the K16s will be doing so at 1.4-1.5bar where the A28s will be doing it at 1.1-1.2 bar!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Understood. What is the power like at your current setup, have you PBOXed it or run against anybody?
Sorry I was editing as you posted, Basicaly:

The car was on the dyno completely standard plus a K&N filter &a Revo Technic stage 1 and produced 482 BHP( o.9 bar) @ FW and 550 ft lbs Torque.
I then fitted a Miltek 100 Cell motor sport exhaust( which is supposed to give a 20-30 bhp increase) and a Revo Technik stage 2 with aggressive boost ( 1.0 Bar) supposed to give 7-10 % increase and finally a set of Par m/sport DV's
So on paper only 482 + 30 = 512 bhp +7%= 547bhp a' 1.0 bar on 99 octane fuel.
I'm not sure if it is or is not. I know it feels very quick, but not a quick as my 550 bhp Cosworth ( but weighed less though).
I haven't any times, as since I have done the stage 2 tune the tip is slipping so I back off the power just a bit when i change from 3rd to 4th. Its going to let go though, I know that.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 10-31-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:42 AM
Sorry I was editing as you posted, Basicaly:

The car was on the dyno completely standard plus a K&N filter &a Revo Technic stage 1 and produced 482 BHP @ FW and 550 ft lbs Torque.
So on paper only 482 + 30 = 512 bhp +7%= 547bhp a' 1.0 bat on 99 octane fuel.
Frank
You are making some really good numbers. I'd run it on the dyno again to get a figure. You might be actually making what you just calculated especially since your tiptronic is slipping with just these modifications!

Also you say you are running 99octane. Since you are in Scotland I am assuming that is 99RON which is about 93-94US octane. Just an FYI so you don't blow up your engine in the future thinking you are running race fuel and turn the boost up like alot of ppl out here do

Old 10-31-2010, 04:44 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Go for the A28s. The spool is incredible especially when those turbos are modified and the top end is ridiculous. You also have the option of GT30s in 3071 trim. You can have the quick spool of the A28s with the power of the 3076 when done right.

If you're stepping up to A28s then it's a different league to the K16s. You can both make 600whp. The difference is that the K16s will be doing so at 1.4-1.5bar where the A28s will be doing it at 1.1-1.2 bar!
Good point, that's another thing I didn't like was running so much boost on the K16's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMS k16 Billet's... Who's got them on their cars?