996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

check engine light/ exhaust problem question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:11 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
I thought the O2s readiness was sensed as a pair. So disabling via flash gives you only one, and you will pass. HOWEVER, it can be a PITA to get the car to set all the OTHER readiness codes.
Originally Posted by Big H
Ard if the system is functioning correctly all the continuous and non continuous readiness monitors will all eventually complete and/or pass. There are instances where emissions testing programs will allow a vehicle to pass even with one monitor not yet completed. I don't know exactly in what states.

My initial question was for Markski regarding the elimination of downstream oxygen sensors via flash and effects on readiness status.

I hope this answers your question
Yeah, we are saying the same thing.

When you flash it to ignore the O2s you will nbot be ready.

The rest depends on the state rules.

Also, unless people know WHY they failed, it is hard to say it was the one O2 sensor readiness code. You could have had a evap or secondary air readiness code that never sets, add it to the O2 and that is two for a fail....

Old 11-27-2010, 02:43 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
I have no cats and at the beginning after a few km I got the CEL error, I spoke with the guys that made my flash and after a few tries they manage to "trick" the ecu.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Big H is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
big H,

My rear O2's are flashed out and car will not pass NY state inspection. I have to put on cats flash back the O2's and then give it some miles for it to be ready. then get my inspection.

Tim you have answered my initial question by experiences on your own vehicle. Some of the readiness monitors will never complete after cat O2's are eliminated. You wont get catalytic converter efficiency fault codes or MIL anymore.

The only thing that's being accomplished by removing rear O2 sensors via flash is to keep the check engine lamp from coming on.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:11 AM
Big H is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ard
I thought the O2s readiness was sensed as a pair. So disabling via flash gives you only one, and you will pass. HOWEVER, it can be a PITA to get the car to set all the OTHER readiness codes.

Disabling rear downstream O2 sensors via flash will not allow vehicle to pass even though vehicle has no fault codes.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:05 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alex55
I have no cats and at the beginning after a few km I got the CEL error, I spoke with the guys that made my flash and after a few tries they manage to "trick" the ecu.
Mr.Alex from Romania,a happy man with many beautiful chicks around can you answer this question please or you want me to go and grab you from your neck

Alex do you,in Romania,have to make every year smog control test as all this guys in US have to do ??

Old 11-27-2010, 09:22 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdss
Mr.Alex from Romania,a happy man with many beautiful chicks around can you answer this question please or you want me to go and grab you from your neck

Alex do you,in Romania,have to make every year smog control test as all this guys in US have to do ??

Every two years.

Last edited by alex55; 11-27-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !

Every two years.

We do it here only once when you are getting to introduce the car to the country....then you can go catless,striat pipes...whatever

Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by rdss
We do it here only once when you are getting to introduce the car to the country....then you can go catless,striat pipes...whatever
You are lucky!

Here at two years we must go to check up the cars, we are not allowed to have tinted windows , no number plate in front and not to change the tires/rims to other sizes that is written in the registration of the car.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:51 AM
You are lucky!

Here at two years we must go to check up the cars, we are not allowed to have tinted windows , no number plate in front and not to change the tires/rims to other sizes that is written in the registration of the car.
At least they let you change tires when they are worn out

Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM
mike237548 is infamous around these parts
so i went to a new place.. a performance shop near me that is EVOMs certified.. they checked the car out and told me that i have a 100cell fabspeed exhaust that gives a bad signal (functions improperly) at idle position only... so they suggested i put O2 spacers on the rear sensors and flash the car with evomsit software. i wanted to do it today but they had to order the O2 spacers... next week.

does everyone agree this will fix my CEL problem? thats all im really worried about here, the performance boost will just be a bonus.

Thanks to everyone for your help with this!
~Mike

Old 12-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
The tune will not help the problem. do it if you want more performance. I have never had luck with the extenders. I also find it hard to believe a CAT only goes bad in a certain flow range. Just my .02.. Just replace the CAT's

Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 AM
slamnss is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
The tune will not help the problem. do it if you want more performance. I have never had luck with the extenders. I also find it hard to believe a CAT only goes bad in a certain flow range. Just my .02.. Just replace the CAT's
where can i find the o2 extensions?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
vibrant performance.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 AM
mtl911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by slamnss
where can i find the o2 extensions?
I got mine from ebay, im installing them tomorrow, i'll let you know if they work after ive installed them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oxyge...#ht_504wt_1165

Old 12-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad I don't have to worry about this where I live.

Also, in re-reading this thread; why can't you use them in the primary 02s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: check engine light/ exhaust problem question