996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

check engine light/ exhaust problem question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 PM
mike237548 is infamous around these parts
Exclamation check engine light/ exhaust problem question

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here. i bought an 01 996 turbo (10k miles) a few months back and the check engine light came on after a few weeks.. i brought it back to the dealership, they checked the code and it was the oxygen sensor, they installed four new oxygen sensors after diagnosing that two were completely shot, and the other two were "going bad".. (around 2,400?)... a few days after picking it up from that, the check engine light came back on, the dealership checked the code, same thing so they shut the light and told me it was the computer, learning and adjusting to the new sensors...

i have to mention that the car has an aftermarket sport exhaust system and headers, i dont know exactly which though.

anyways after bringing the car back to the dealer to shut the check engine light, three times now after having the new sensors put in, they decide that the problem must be the aftermarket exhaust system... they told me my options are to either:
1.) revert to stock exhaust/cat's (around 2k? i think) & i will loose HP(they said around -35hp)
2.) upgrade to a better, more quality aftermarket exhaust (milltek?)
3.) deal with the check engine light issue, but if its always on, ill never know if something really goes wrong with the car until it stops moving :P

does this sound strange to anyone? normal? any thoughts as to what i should do? will a milltek exhaust give the check engine light problem as well?

thank you to everyone in advance for reading this, and helping me in any way you can with my 996tt, by the way, other than the check engine light always being on, the car runs great and i love it.. coming from an 05 mercedes c230 sedan with extensive mods.. vertical doors etc lol.

~Mike

Old 10-29-2010, 10:38 PM
TweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to beholdTweakitTT is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like the dealer doesn't really know what the problem is and is blaming your mods. They may be making you do unnecessary repairs to your car for..$$$

May be a good idea to go to another shop...one with aftermarket mod experience.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
the cats on the after market exhaust are probably burned out. What code is the check engine light signaling?- you can use an OBD reader to get the P code and self diagnose the condition.

My sport exhaust throws a cel- no big deal- only when it comes time for smog.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:41 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
You could always get a tune and turn the 02s off. Keep what you have ( unless you don't like the sound ) and add HP.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
When you say "dealership" is this a real Porsche dealership or some other kind of dealer.

They should be looking at the fuel trims and other data to diagnose this... if all that is looking good, then maybe suspect the exhaust.

You can get a used stock exhaust for $50. Or many shops have loaners or a member can loan it. Once you get it sorted you can add a quality aftermarket exhaust. But if you spring for the exhaust with these guys I'd be concerned you might still be chasing issues.

Are they competent?

A

Old 10-30-2010, 04:58 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Not good.. 2400.00 for four o2's... I have a stock exhaust and think I have a after market one some where too.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
You can also buy extensions to put the o2 sensors in,no more check engine light and very cheap.
Here is a picture off an extension .

Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
mike,
make some more posts and PM me for more info.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Not all 02s and those extensions work together. You can make them work if your willing to grind some of the inside of the extension out. Some of them aren't deep enough for the 02s. I had trouble getting the back 02s to work when I added them.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Not good.. 2400.00 for four o2's... I have a stock exhaust and think I have a after market one some where too.
Wait.

I thought he was talking about 2400 miles later....

Did they actually charge YOU to fix it? And it was $2400??? OMG. if so.

Here in CA that dealer could be in trouble selling a car knowing it was in CARB violation (and as a dealer they cannot say "oh, we didnt know".)

GL

A

Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM
docjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the roughdocjmj is a jewel in the rough
Subscribed:

I have the same issue:

Car runs great and suspect I have an O2 sensor issue or catalytic converter issue:

Luckily, Nebraska has no smog check. I bought an OBD reader and simply clear the CEL when it happens.

I am planning on resolving this by a flash and aftermarket exhaust when I get tired of clearing the CEL (1-2 per month. Cold weather starts which may indicate a poorly functioning air induction motor too)

Any comments appreciated.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 PM
996ftw is infamous around these parts
I had the first gen Speedtech exhaust and it was constantly giving me CELs. i bought the O2 extensions and the problem went away after it was installed. hope that helps. Contact your exhaust vendor to see if they supply these O2 extensions.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
we can flash it and turn the post o2s off...
and if your a market of a badd *** exhaust met me know
good luck,
markski

http://www.911tuning.com/996-Turbo/Exhaust-c-63.html

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
You could always get a tune and turn the 02s off. Keep what you have ( unless you don't like the sound ) and add HP.
This is what you want to do. It transforms the car and will also get rid of that pesky CEL.

The extensions dont always work. I had them on my old speedtech (pre-tune).

Also, get a code reader or pass by any auto parts store when the CEL is on and post the fault code.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. reconnect and you should be good if it indeed was your O2's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: check engine light/ exhaust problem question