996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are your thoughts on nitrous?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:48 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
How do you feel about Top Fuel drag racers? Nitrous is a poor man's way to more HP. I don't considered it "cheating" per se, just another way of increasing HP but comes with more risk.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:01 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Why anyone would bolt on nitrous to a big dollar motor like 3.6L turbo is beyond me. First off, going down this route with these motors will limit the available nitrous power because you can get away with a 35 to 75 shot at the most without doing much damage and even with these set ups there are risks to the longevity of the motor. Nitrous really isn't designed to be safely bolted on and if you do you are not able to use any where near enough to make a real difference.

Set the motor up to run nitrous and the power can be eye popping when coupled with a programable nitrous system.

I have to chuckle when I hear comments like "cheap power." Setting up a programmable 300 shot system for these motors is on par cost wise to doing your internals after you have taken the bolt on's as far as you safely dare.

Besides strengthening the obvious motor parts, serious nitrous in conjunction with an already built motor needs additional attention to liners, liner oilers, looser ring tolerances, the correct ring material, black like diamonds wrist pin coating, ceramic coated piston domes, valves, combustion chambers and exhaust ports.

A motor correctly built for nitrous use is not cheap, it is safe and in conjunction with other mods will usually hand the other guy his head on a platter. Nitrous does not make power by itself. Nitrous is not explosive. It is an oxidizer ....... this allows usage of more fuel in the combustion stroke which makes more power.

Think of the ways you can use it ....... all at once, progressively, to bring on boost sooner, in top gears, progressively for quicker engine response coming out of corners.

A win is a win. People can rationalize all they want when they get beat. On the other hand, if you can beat a car utilizing nitrous and you are not using the win has that much more satisfying.

Last edited by cjv; 10-30-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
My name is Chris Powell... I am a nitrous junky...

^-- My old Camaro setup before we stripped everything out of the bay. It was pilled at 400 but the only time I let it progress to 100% ended up bad. Had C16 that was old and I had left in the sun (didn't know it hurt it LOL)... I was also running 21* of timing and NGK-8s. That kit wasn't as much as a turbo setup, but it was not cheap at all. A whole new fuel system for it, intake plumbing, progressive, etc... The motor was built for a 400+ shot, hellfire (tool-steel) rings, etc...

^--- Lil Powell's old C5's intake. It was pilled for a 300 shot, but the motor was only built for like a 300-350 shot because we chose not to use a tool steel ring, etc... It had a standalone fuel system and a progressive as well...

Nitrous is always looked down upon by people wither "higher end" or big money build cars because it's relatively cheap to do (lets say a 150 shot on a stock C6 Z06)... Where as a turbo kit on a Porsche TT is going to cost 5x more. Regardless people shouldn't look at it as cheap HP because there is a lot more to it. You have to realize unlike a turbo setup or blower setup. With the push of a button your 150rwhp shot will make 250+rwtq sometimes, so you have to work harder to get the car to hook. I had thought about using it to spool on my motor when stuff went together and I put larger snails. But I would never use on TOP of the boost for power, just not worth on it. Even if the bottom end is "built" for it you never know what can happen in a split second LOL!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
it isn't cheating if you disclose it but I am not a fan of it. I have seen too many blown motors on hot days because of it.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:52 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Imho...

...just say no to NOX.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long...

Old 10-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned
Shotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud ofShotcaller has much to be proud of
in 1/4 mile...F/I cars is the quickest
60-130...F/I cars is the quickest
Street Racing/Highway pulling...F/I cars the quickest
TX mile...F/I car the fastest...Even V8 cars F/I car r faster than Nitrous cars

We found that on modded bolt-ons Porsches ( with a30/gt30..etc ) ...nitrous is not needed since our cars has great low-end power.

On high hp supra lets say 800hp and above a littel nitrous ALWAYS recommend coz they r damn laggy comparing with modded porsches

We found that +850hp porsche able to beat +850hp modded non-nitrous supras by good margin from 80 to +190 without any problem

Nitrous is cheap good mod but simply not the best and reliable mod

On GT3076R cars we able to beat built cars w/200-250 shot

Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
i like it!

I use it almost daily......on patients

Last edited by turtle n hare; 10-31-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:01 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I'll add some clarity to my position. There are some guys that really know their stuff and build a motor around NOS, usually Muscle Cars. They drag race, and can drive the wheels off their car. That is completely respectable.

What I don't like is the people that a) have a car that is a turd without nos) b) hide the nos, c) have a nearly stock car or a hunk of junk with nos d) refuse to do any real power adders and e) put nos on cars that nos has no business on (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes) . It's their car, so they can do what they want with it, but I can't stand it.

"I can't race cause I gotta go get more nos" or "I ran out of nos which is why I lost" are the worst ever.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by turtle n hare
i like it!

I use it almost daily......on patients

Funy Guy

Old 10-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'll add some clarity to my position. There are some guys that really know their stuff and build a motor around NOS, usually Muscle Cars. They drag race, and can drive the wheels off their car. That is completely respectable.

What I don't like is the people that a) have a car that is a turd without nos) b) hide the nos, c) have a nearly stock car or a hunk of junk with nos d) refuse to do any real power adders and e) put nos on cars that nos has no business on (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes) . It's their car, so they can do what they want with it, but I can't stand it.

"I can't race cause I gotta go get more nos" or "I ran out of nos which is why I lost" are the worst ever.
This is why I am "on the fence" with NOS. I cant argue against what you are saying...its true but its also not the whole story. Cheet or not a cheat ....that is the question?
Frank

Old 10-31-2010, 06:22 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I feel the way you do Scott. I've seen many too many "accidents" with nitrous. If a fuel pump fails, melted engine. Clogged fuel jet, melted engine. I've had a few bikes with spray and spent a lot of money building wet kits for my bikes and never ended up using them...short of 1 time at the track...All these guys running these "dry" kits. It's like a torch in your cylinder...if a little is good, more must be better!!! It goes in cold, but burns HOT!!! Being a bracket racer, I prefer something a little more consistant. A good working nitrous system relies on a lot of parts. Electronics,(if you have them), pumps, solenoids, jets, wiring, etc...If you have a pretty big shot (over 150) and don't have a progressive controller, nitrous will beat the crap out of your pistons, rods and bearings....If you build an engine for it, you'll obviously cheat that aspect of it...for a while. I've always been of the opinion, if you hate your engine, spray it...you'll never be disappointed...

Old 10-31-2010, 06:39 AM
Fishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cjv
Why anyone would bolt on nitrous to a big dollar motor like 3.6L turbo is beyond me. First off, going down this route with these motors will limit the available nitrous power because you can get away with a 35 to 75 shot at the most without doing much damage and even with these set ups there are risks to the longevity of the motor. Nitrous really isn't designed to be safely bolted on and if you do you are not able to use any where near enough to make a real difference.

Set the motor up to run nitrous and the power can be eye popping when coupled with a programable nitrous system.

I have to chuckle when I hear comments like "cheap power." Setting up a programmable 300 shot system for these motors is on par cost wise to doing your internals after you have taken the bolt on's as far as you safely dare.

Besides strengthening the obvious motor parts, serious nitrous in conjunction with an already built motor needs additional attention to liners, liner oilers, looser ring tolerances, the correct ring material, black like diamonds wrist pin coating, ceramic coated piston domes, valves, combustion chambers and exhaust ports.

A motor correctly built for nitrous use is not cheap, it is safe and in conjunction with other mods will usually hand the other guy his head on a platter. Nitrous does not make power by itself. Nitrous is not explosive. It is an oxidizer ....... this allows usage of more fuel in the combustion stroke which makes more power.

Think of the ways you can use it ....... all at once, progressively, to bring on boost sooner, in top gears, progressively for quicker engine response coming out of corners.

A win is a win. People can rationalize all they want when they get beat. On the other hand, if you can beat a car utilizing nitrous and you are not using the win has that much more satisfying.
I have to disagree with almost everything you said.

First, building a motor for spray is much the same as a boosted motor. Also, you can spray a 3.6 a hell of a lot more then 35hp shot because it already has an engine built with a lot of the characteristics you look for in a sprayed motor.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:35 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fishey
I have to disagree with almost everything you said.

First, building a motor for spray is much the same as a boosted motor. Also, you can spray a 3.6 a hell of a lot more then 35hp shot because it already has an engine built with a lot of the characteristics you look for in a sprayed motor.
If you say so. I already stated what I believe needs to be done.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:06 PM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
While there certainly are differences in principles of implementation and end-results, the concept of running nitrous really isn't inherently different than using water/methanol injection, or running race gas. You'll make more power while they last, and less after you've used them up.

Of course, you could always run race gas... but you could also always run nitrous, or w/m, etc. Just different means to the same end: increasing engine output over the levels that same engine will produce when using pump fuel.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Nos is best used in whip it's!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on nitrous?