996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2000 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM
phenixdragon has a spectacular aura aboutphenixdragon has a spectacular aura about
2000 911 Turbo?

I don't have a 911 Turbo but I have loved them and recently started looking to buy one. I found a perfectly clean 2000 911 Turbo for sale for under 40K with only about 70K miles on it. I am very interested in it and wish I looked for one of these earlier in the year because I bought a 2010 Camaro SS. Been looking to twin turbo the Camaro but I'd rather have a 911 Turbo and I had no idea the 996's resale so cheaply.

Anyway, I wanted to find out about performance and what to look for on buying a used one. Such as, are there any known issues with these?

And for performance upgrades, I would like to push the car to around 500, or even 600hp depend on what it would take to do that. Can someone give me some ideas on what I could do to the motor to get this power from it? And safley of course.

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
40k is to much. If you can spend that much you can get 1 newer and w/ less miles. Keep reading here and you'll find out all kinds of great info.

These cars are Awesome!

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I think the 2000 turbos are not originally from the US.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Can you post a link? Not sure Porsche made a Turbo in 2000?

Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 PM
phenixdragon has a spectacular aura aboutphenixdragon has a spectacular aura about
Oh sorry. It's a 2001.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Ahh...carry on...

Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 PM
So if 40K is too much for this car, what about do these sell for? I just never looked until now. Was just kind of curious but had no idea they don't hold their value. Always loved the car.

And actually...I went to a local dealer that buys and sells speciality cars and was talking to them abotu brokering a trade in on my Camaro for this 911 and would do it through them but they were saying 27K for my car plus $4,500-$4,000 on their fee for buying the 911. Screw that. I do get a tax credit to trade in the Camaro, but that;s only about 1,000 per $10,000 on the trade in. I'm going to try to sell it privately for more. Anyway, the guy was telling me that upgrades on the 911 would be way cheaper than to TT a Camaro, such as just putting in better Garrett turbos.

I wanted 600hp at the crank on my Camaro, which is easy but $10,000 but if I can do it 500hp on a 911 (996) Turbo for less I'm down for that.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:31 PM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
I actually have a 2000 911 Turbo (model year 2001 tho). I was very surprised right after I bought it when I couldn't find any other 2000 Turbos. In Europe there are quite a few 911 Turbos with first registration dated early in 2000.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
They held their value just fine, until a year or so ago, when the value of everything plummeted....An 01-02 turbo with reasonable miles (less than 50k?) can be found for mid 40's. Mid to high 30's for higher milage, less cared for car...Don't buy a turbo because it's cheap. It's cheap for a reason. Get a PPI from someone OTHER than the seller,(if the seller is a dealer). Also, you can get to 500 crank on a 996 Turbo with pretty much just a flash ($1200-$1500?) and exhaust ($2000-$5000)...

Old 10-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Shop around, don't think you have to buy local to get a great car. You can have a PPI done anywhere. Also you can put a thread on here and find some1 close to the car if you aren't to go check it out.

Read everything you can find on the year car you are interested in. Ask lost of questions. Do your homework and you'll find your dream car.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM
This one is actually in Cali but it would be a good idea to see maybe if someone on here could check it out for me. But I may look around too to see what else is out there. I just don't want to get into a car that I may wish 6 months from now on wanting the Camaro again. I do love the Camaro, and it gets way more looks than a Porsche does, but I love what Porsche is. The 911 Turbo has for a long time been the ultimate car for me.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:18 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by phenixdragon
This one is actually in Cali but it would be a good idea to see maybe if someone on here could check it out for me. But I may look around too to see what else is out there. I just don't want to get into a car that I may wish 6 months from now on wanting the Camaro again. I do love the Camaro, and it gets way more looks than a Porsche does, but I love what Porsche is. The 911 Turbo has for a long time been the ultimate car for me.

Me thinks you are giving wayyy too much credit to the Camaro. It's a new body and may get "What the heck is that" looks right now. Give it 6 months and it will blend to all of the other angular ugly American cars.

Drive the Porsche one time and you will realize everything that the camaro is not.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't say I am giving too much credit. It is a big head turner and will be for a few years. But like the Mustang, it will be a dime a dozen. 911 Turbo, most people have no idea what it is. They know the name, but nothing else about it. And I say most people as in the people not into the car world. And at least in the Seattle area, Porsche in general is a dime a dozen also. Turbo, not so much, but than it goes to what I was saying. Most people don't know what it really is.

Personally I don't care on getting looks. I'm tired of it in the Camaro. I don't even acknowledge a thumbs up. Just don't car.

Never have driven a Porsche but I'm sure I will love it. Driven lots of other cars, some that would blow the doors off of 911 Turbo but probably the best overall feeling I have been in the ///M3 I use to own. Just loved the overall performance and how it got the power on the ground. I can only imagine the 911 is even better.

Another question comes to mine. Putting in a in dash nav. Is that pretty easy on these? Some cars you can, some you need a a dash adapter, some you just can't do it. My 05 TL you couldn't add it in. The Camaro you can with a dash kit. Just a lot of cars today the headunit is including HVAC and other controls which makes it tough.

Last edited by phenixdragon; 10-31-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 PM
GMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of lightGMendoza is a glorious beacon of light
Yes you can add navigation.

Where's the car you are interested in?

Also a 5th gen camaro is and feels like a boat compared to the 911.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
It's in Sacramento.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2000 911 Turbo?