996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How Many Over-Revs are too many?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Scottslaw
nor have I (I would never do that). My only point is that my rev limit is stock, and I've logged type II's simply by accelerating aggressively.
Do we know at what the rev limit is to trigger a type 2. i ask because a very high powered engine, pushing high boost, must have a lot of rotational inertia and a lot of pressure still in the system and could very well spin past the rev limiter under rotational inertia aided by the pressure still in the manifold. At this point the accelerator has not been released so the DV's will not have released boost ( no vacumm to the top of the DV's).
Just a thought.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 11-10-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Mine logs type II's as well, but has never missed a shift, etc. Not sure if my rev is increased or not. I think it may be, but I never asked! :-)

Old 11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Lets face it, if you guys are saying you dont miss a gear and you still get type 2 over rev's with the standard rev limiter ( not changed with the flash), then the engine must get to the type 2 limit some how. Its not magic, the only way it can go beyond the rev limiter must be if it is pushed by the wheels with a missed gear or something else. If the engine is physically unable to drive it past the limiter but it still goes past it then inertia must be the cause.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 11-10-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
It was suggested in other threads that Type 2's might occur if you were shifting at redline on downhill slopes.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
JSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond reputeJSBear has a reputation beyond repute
Personally ...

On a tuned car with extended rev limit, I think the a GOOD PPI is more important than stressing about overrevs. Just my opinion.

I've triggered stage 2's on several occasions with extended rev limit and I' a fairly mellow driver.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SRISER
And what is the difference between stage I and stage II?
Stage 1 on a stock 996tt are ignitions in the range of 6750 - 7250rpm.
Stage 2 on a stock 996tt are ignitions in excess of 7250rpm

For each rotation of the crankshaft, there are 3 ignitions on our cars. At 7250rpm, there are 21750 ignitions per minute or 362.5 per second. Simple arithmetic will allow you do determine how long your engine has spent in the overrev range.

If your car is chipped than it usually has the redline raised. RUF in Dallas told me my car has the redline raised by 500 rpm resulting in a redline of 7250 vise the 6750 on a stock 996TT. As a result, if your car is chipped and you rev to the new redline you will record stage 1 ignitions every time and if you hit the new higher rev limiter (assuming 7250rpm) or go slightly beyond it you will record stage 2 ignitions.

I think people make way too much fuss about the overrev issue. Before cars had these onboard DMEs we never bothered with overrevs but rather looked at the health of the car as a whole. BTW, when each Porsche engine is assembled at the factory it is run at redline for a couple of minutes as normal modus operandi. The only downside to this is that PCNA can screw you on a claim due to the overrevs by claiming abuse. Therein lies the rub......

Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by johnselli
Stage 1 on a stock 996tt are ignitions in the range of 6750 - 7250rpm.
Stage 2 on a stock 996tt are ignitions in excess of 7250rpm

For each rotation of the crankshaft, there are 3 ignitions on our cars. At 7250rpm, there are 21750 ignitions per minute or 362.5 per second. Simple arithmetic will allow you do determine how long your engine has spent in the overrev range.

If your car is chipped than it usually has the redline raised. RUF in Dallas told me my car has the redline raised by 500 rpm resulting in a redline of 7250 vise the 6750 on a stock 996TT. As a result, if your car is chipped and you rev to the new redline you will record stage 1 ignitions every time and if you hit the new higher rev limiter (assuming 7250rpm) or go slightly beyond it you will record stage 2 ignitions.

I think people make way too much fuss about the overrev issue. Before cars had these onboard DMEs we never bothered with overrevs but rather looked at the health of the car as a whole. BTW, when each Porsche engine is assembled at the factory it is run at redline for a couple of minutes as normal modus operandi. The only downside to this is that PCNA can screw you on a claim due to the overrevs by claiming abuse. Therein lies the rub......
Hate to disagree with you, but my rev limiter is set at 7400 and when I hit 7000 on an upshift one day (well below the new rev limit) and checked it with my Durametric, it logged a type II over rev. That is a real world test that I conducted and saw the evidence with my own two eyes. It wasn't something that someone told me. If you don't believe me, buy a cable, load the program, run your car, come back home and check your ignitions and you'll see for yourself. Based on my experience and test, anything over 6750 will trigger a type II over rev. And BTW, I don't think it's a big deal, I agree if you are still under warranty, PCNA will use this to say you abused your car. F'em

Last edited by 9Eleven; 11-10-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Hate to disagree with you, but my rev limiter is set at 7400 and when I hit 7000 on an upshift one day (well below the new rev limit) and checked it with my Durametric, it logged a type II over rev. That is a real world test that I conducted and saw the evidence with my own two eyes. It wasn't something that someone told me. If you don't believe, buy a cable, load the program, run your car, come back home and check you ignitions and you'll see for yourself. Based on my experience and test, anything over 6750 will trigger a type II over rev. And BTW, I don't think it's a big deal, I agree if you are still under warranty, PCNA will use this to say you abused your car. F'em
It's not a perfect world and there are variances to everything. We're dealing with electrons here......Just like one of the guys on this board that scanned his DME and it showed a higher count for stage 2s than stage 1s. Weird...........

Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
Well an interesting question comes to mind. If you have an aftermarket warranty and go to an indie mechanic (or even possibly a dealer), will the aftermarket request this information? I understand PCNA's stance on it, but are aftermarket's going to try and void claims with this as well? Any experience?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:44 PM
knicks is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnselli
It's not a perfect world and there are variances to everything. We're dealing with electrons here......Just like one of the guys on this board that scanned his DME and it showed a higher count for stage 2s than stage 1s. Weird...........
Man that's wierd. I've heard of very similar numbers between stage 1 and 2 but never more stage 2's than 1's.