996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How Many Over-Revs are too many?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:30 AM
SRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura about
How Many Over-Revs are too many?

Just curious as to what the consensus might be on this issue.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:50 AM
SRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura aboutSRISER has a spectacular aura about
And what is the difference between stage I and stage II?

Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 AM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
Type 1 is hitting the rev-limiter on the way up -shouldn't be a big deal. Type 2 is exceeding the rev-limit red-line e.g. if you go from 3-2 instead of 3-4 - this is more problematic. That said I've known several people who are very careful with their cars and still show type 2s so there might be a little more going on with the type 2s than I know about. For a 5-10 year old car, I personally wouldn't worry about a few thousand Type 1s. As for Type 2s, lower is better.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I would rather buy a car that was not down shifted a lot. This type of driving puts a lot of strain on both the engine and tranny. When I come to a stop I just put the car in neutral and brake. I never down shift through the gears. Type 2's may be an indication that the car has been tracked.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
Type 1 is hitting the rev-limiter on the way up -shouldn't be a big deal. Type 2 is exceeding the rev-limit red-line e.g. if you go from 3-2 instead of 3-4 - this is more problematic. That said I've known several people who are very careful with their cars and still show type 2s so there might be a little more going on with the type 2s than I know about. For a 5-10 year old car, I personally wouldn't worry about a few thousand Type 1s. As for Type 2s, lower is better.
Well, as you guys know, I am in the middle of having my trans rebuilt under CPO warranty (2nd gear pop-out). PCNA wanted the DME downloaded to look at overrevs. There were 18 total with no specification of whether they were type I or type II. I am concerned that they would use this information as justification to deny the repair.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with robertp however; with the exception of blipping the throttle when downshifting

Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 AM
mtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant futuremtcraigco has a brilliant future
Makes me feel better, I tend to smak the limiter on the 1-2 unless I'm very sharp or shift a bit early

Don't hit type2s as I don't wind it that hard for a downshift, even when driving hard.

thanks for the info

Old 11-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I can tell you with certainty that you can log a type ii without missing a downshift. The other night I went for a spirited drive that had a couple redline shifts. I never detected the rev limiter kick in. When I got back, just for giggles I hooked up my durametric and it had a small number of revolutions recorded in the typ II range. Go figure. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm on a pretty old flywheel. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 AM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Scottslaw
I can tell you with certainty that you can log a type ii without missing a downshift. The other night I went for a spirited drive that had a couple redline shifts. I never detected the rev limiter kick in. When I got back, just for giggles I hooked up my durametric and it had a small number of revolutions recorded in the typ II range. Go figure. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that I'm on a pretty old flywheel. Just thought I'd share my experience.
+ 1. I did the same thing and it recorded Type IIs. My redline was increased to 7400 so even though you don't hit the rev limiter at 6750 and you shift at 7000, the ECU records it as a Type II.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Ajs76 is infamous around these parts
I can understand Type I's from flashing it, but Type 2's? That's annoying. So is it even possible to find a chipped car without Type 2's?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ajs76
I can understand Type I's from flashing it, but Type 2's? That's annoying. So is it even possible to find a chipped car without Type 2's?
If the rev limiter was raised when it was reprogrammed and the driver goes beyond the normal rev limiter (6750), No.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
God I don't even want to know my Type 2's are LOL! Considering I rev to 7800 it is probably pretty high LOL!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Porsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to beholdPorsche917 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SRISER
PCNA wanted the DME downloaded to look at overrevs. There were 18 total with no specification of whether they were type I or type II. I am concerned that they would use this information as justification to deny the repair.

Only 18? not bad at all considering at 2000rpm each cylinder fires about 5 times a second. if it were in the thousands on stage 2 or higher maybe there might be area for concern.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have not change my rev limiter from stock.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by robertp
I have not change my rev limiter from stock.
nor have I (I would never do that). My only point is that my rev limit is stock, and I've logged type II's simply by accelerating aggressively.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Many Over-Revs are too many?