996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What is most effective for simply lowering car? Which springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:05 PM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
What is most effective for simply lowering car? Which springs?

I am looking to lower my car a little and do not want coilovers. If I simply purchase springs, which ones should I go with?

-Lou

Old 10-06-2003, 09:36 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
H&Rs are really your best bet. You can do the springs and add the look you are wanting for a fraction of the cost. The Eibachs are very costly.

Old 10-06-2003, 09:59 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
You will pay a lot of labor for springs alone so I always advise to do coilovers or something a bit better than springs alone...
BTW - I had the H&R springs on my 01 and the ride was sooooo stiff!!

Old 10-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Lou...

I'd really advise again just springs. I had H&R springs before I had H&R coilovers, like msindi said, they are very stiff and the handling got worse. At the least, do the ROW 030 kit. $300 springs have no place on your $120+ TT!

Old 10-07-2003, 06:45 AM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
H&R has 2 selections to choose from. "Sport" which drops your car about an inch and has the the exact same ride as stock (not rough) and "Race" which drops it I think closer to 2 inches. This is the one that you will wish you hadnt

Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 AM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Correct, you have to specify which spring when you call. Most will sell you the race version which are not totally ideal for street. The cost to do the springs should not be that much. I can do them in the car without pulling the strut. These guys are probably trying to sell the whole job.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
four bags of concrete in the back seat will drop the body an inch all the way around

Old 10-07-2003, 09:06 AM
RDH
RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !RDH Is a GOD !
Another alternative to Kens concrete idea would be to simply go on an eating binge. This will involve eating at least 10 times a day everything you can get your hands on. The ride height will vary from each individuals own body characteristics but the install time is reduced to however long it takes to get in the car

Or, listen to stephens advice Sport springs

Old 10-07-2003, 09:17 AM
LSM
LSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of lightLSM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by RDH
Another alternative to Kens concrete idea would be to simply go on an eating binge. This will involve eating at least 10 times a day everything you can get your hands on. The ride height will vary from each individuals own body characteristics but the install time is reduced to however long it takes to get in the car

Or, listen to stephens advice Sport springs

I could do the eating thing, but, I worry that the car will be weight biased on only one side. I will need an eating partner to sit on the passenger side to level everything out. Any of you guys interested?

-Lou

Old 10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
LSM
Originally posted by PorschePhD
Correct, you have to specify which spring when you call. Most will sell you the race version which are not totally ideal for street. The cost to do the springs should not be that much. I can do them in the car without pulling the strut. These guys are probably trying to sell the whole job.
If I get the H&R "sport" springs, how much will that lower my car? Will I have premature wear on my shocks? Should I replace the stock shocks as well? Thanks for your expertise on this. Do you have experience driving with the "sport" springs, if so, how is the ride, is handling negatively impacted?

-Lou

Old 10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Chris Y.
Lou...

I'd really advise again just springs. I had H&R springs before I had H&R coilovers, like msindi said, they are very stiff and the handling got worse. At the least, do the ROW 030 kit. $300 springs have no place on your $120+ TT!
Which H&R springs did you have the "race" or "sport" version?

Old 10-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Chris Y. is infamous around these parts
Lou,

I had the "Sport" springs. Approx 1" drop all around. Are you guys sure about the "Race" version? I checked on both the H&R website and Tire Rack, none list the Race version.

Old 10-07-2003, 01:05 PM
msindi is infamous around these parts
Stephen - How do you do springs without removing the struts?? The dealer took everything off from wheels to brakes to struts when they did the springs on my 01!!

Old 10-08-2003, 09:25 AM
LSM
Originally posted by Chris Y.
Lou,

I had the "Sport" springs. Approx 1" drop all around. Are you guys sure about the "Race" version? I checked on both the H&R website and Tire Rack, none list the Race version.
Chris,

You said the ride and handling were terrible with just the springs correct? Did you have coilovers or just springs? Do I have to change shocks as well??

-Lou

Old 10-09-2003, 10:13 AM
racer63 is infamous around these parts
Re: What is most effective for simply lowering car? Which springs?

Originally posted by LSM
I am looking to lower my car a little and do not want coilovers. If I simply purchase springs, which ones should I go with?

-Lou
Lou -

In case your aversion to coilovers is ride quality related, I can say that the PSS9s do not adversely impact ride quality at all. In fact, it may actually improve ride quality slightly over stock. At least that's the way it feels to me.

Price-wise, there won't be a ton of difference.

Handling should be much improved with the coil overs. Additionally, you can get the car corner balanced properly and your alignment (camber in particular) can be set to your preferences.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is most effective for simply lowering car? Which springs?