996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I see something over the Tire Rack Banner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:43 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by SteveH
anyone care to post what the money is actually for? is the site not able to support itself? what are the major costs for something like this? I can't imagine it costs that much to run.

I enjoy the site tremendously. But, there are much worthier charities to give to IMO. Someone sell me on it.
i wouldn't call it a charity. while there is commercial sponsorship, we users do still get much value from the site. and i wouldn't be too sure about it being cheap to operate.

that said, where are my stars shank (i sent you that e-mail re: paypal)

Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
anyone care to post what the money is actually for? is the site not able to support itself? what are the major costs for something like this? I can't imagine it costs that much to run.

I enjoy the site tremendously. But, there are much worthier charities to give to IMO. Someone sell me on it.

The monthly payment to run so far is more than a 996turbo lease payment. We are also evolving the site this year with some new cool features, and more exposure. Between support tickets, daily backups, and the managed solution, it does very costly. Its all worth it though.

This is completely voluntary, and we'd stil love ya if you didn't pitch in.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:48 AM
Banned
sticky is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ShankGT2
The monthly payment to run so far is more than a 996turbo lease payment. We are also evolving the site this year with some new cool features, and more exposure. Between support tickets, daily backups, and the managed solution, it does very costly. Its all worth it though.

This is completely voluntary, and we'd stil love ya if you didn't pitch in.
Sorry buddy, if you are paying that much you are getting ripped off. I know you aren't, I run a forum, I know how much it costs and the maintenance involved.

The donations go into your pocket, no offense, that is the truth, what the sponsors are paying for their space is WAY more than enough to support the site, this is just greed.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:07 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
Sure, Shank is coning us all. With the collection of cars he have, he surely needs to be greedy with a couple of $K's. It's ridiculous to think that it's because of greed.
Of course this site costs a pretty penny to maintain, if you want to contribute, do it, if you don't , you can still use the forum.

Steve, think about it like I did, you're in here like once a day and checking out the threads and having a good time. The gold membership is not even $1 a week. Also it's a nice way to show your appreciation of the forum. It's not charity, but $25 isn't a lot of money (though as I'm a student, relatively it's a lot more for me than it is for some of you guys ) it's just a way to ensure that the forum can evolve and be even better.

Keep up the good work guys!

Last edited by dzy; 03-08-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:25 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Sticky, with all due respect, you are absolutely wrong! Don't tell me how you "know how to run a forum" - compare apples to apples. We have a dedicated server lease of $681/mo + additional fees, and about to expand to addtional servers and an Akamai Edge server setup. That will cost about as half of your Cayenne S. Donations are NOT going into our pockets, but rather for 6speed. BTW, Darren can easily fax you a copy of our monthly statement. So before you bull**** about "that is the truth" - you're assuming an inaccuracy. What we do with sponsorship funds is our business - If you think we pocket this vs. saving for promotional items etc.. - Assume all you want. The fact is our sponsors are profiting and we hope they get the best out of it.

And PS: You should delete your web link in your signature, thats for our paying sponsors. Thats THEFT and GREED.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:32 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Sticky with all due respect you are way out of line here. As ryan said the support is volunatary so no one is forcing your hand. Our costs have far exceeded our expectations and that is a good thing becuae it means the community is continually growing at a rate much faster than we expected.

All your post offers is a mild form of slander which is not appreciated since 6speed is for you guys to enjoy. Take it for what it is contirbutiing to help run a place you visit and enjoy everyday.

Old 03-08-2005, 08:06 AM
Banned
renntech36 is infamous around these partsrenntech36 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by sticky
Sorry buddy, if you are paying that much you are getting ripped off. I know you aren't, I run a forum, I know how much it costs and the maintenance involved.

The donations go into your pocket, no offense, that is the truth, what the sponsors are paying for their space is WAY more than enough to support the site, this is just greed.
Yeah sticky, can't you tell that Ryan needs this money real bad to put an aluminum spoiler on his 96 Civic. Come on man, this is not v-tec.com, and to claim that they are pocketing this money is ludacris. So, what Ryan is doing isn't greed, it is actually smart business, I just think your'e being a dick

Old 03-08-2005, 08:09 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by renntech36
Yeah sticky, can't you tell that Ryan needs this money real bad to put an aluminum spoiler on his 96 Civic. Come on man, this is not v-tec.com, and to claim that they are pocketing this money is ludacris. So, what Ryan is doing isn't greed, it is actually smart business, I just think your'e being a dick
Hey Harris, You can't comment on this thread until you have stars....

And maybe you will get three.. I ony got two... That's what happens with you get the first 'minute' of a new model

Old 03-08-2005, 09:28 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by dzy

Steve, think about it like I did, you're in here like once a day and checking out the threads and having a good time. The gold membership is not even $1 a week. Also it's a nice way to show your appreciation of the forum. It's not charity, but $25 isn't a lot of money (though as I'm a student, relatively it's a lot more for me than it is for some of you guys ) it's just a way to ensure that the forum can evolve and be even better.

Keep up the good work guys!
here's how i think about it:

If i spend money, I do so in order to get something from it. If I am not getting anything from it, then it is charity. So, I was simply asking what I will get for my money because if nothing, then it is charity and I'd rather give it to dying kids or something.

but i have my answer and as of now have made my decision.

-Steve

P.S. If Shank is putting some money into his pocket then good for him. You guys are the ones willingly giving it up without asking for anything in return...why do you care where it goes?

Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
You guys are the ones willingly giving it up without asking for anything in return...why do you care where it goes?
I've gotten a lot from this board. Much more than the measely $100.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:50 AM
dzy
dzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond reputedzy has a reputation beyond repute
here's how i think about it:

If i spend money, I do so in order to get something from it. If I am not getting anything from it, then it is charity. So, I was simply asking what I will get for my money because if nothing, then it is charity and I'd rather give it to dying kids or something.

but i have my answer and as of now have made my decision.

-Steve

P.S. If Shank is putting some money into his pocket then good for him. You guys are the ones willingly giving it up without asking for anything in return...why do you care where it goes?

With your definition of charity, then I guess it's charity to you if you don't feel any satisfaction with helping the board out and supporting it. I don't think that any of the guys that paid are going to give less to charity because of the donation here. This is from the "entertainment budget" so to speak.

I really don't think that Ryan is putting the money into his own pocket and if that was his intent, there are better ways to get the money.
As Ben said, it's a way to give back a bit to the board.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned
Originally posted by ShankGT2
Sticky, with all due respect, you are absolutely wrong! Don't tell me how you "know how to run a forum" - compare apples to apples. We have a dedicated server lease of $681/mo + additional fees, and about to expand to addtional servers and an Akamai Edge server setup. That will cost about as half of your Cayenne S. Donations are NOT going into our pockets, but rather for 6speed. BTW, Darren can easily fax you a copy of our monthly statement. So before you bull**** about "that is the truth" - you're assuming an inaccuracy. What we do with sponsorship funds is our business - If you think we pocket this vs. saving for promotional items etc.. - Assume all you want. The fact is our sponsors are profiting and we hope they get the best out of it.

And PS: You should delete your web link in your signature, thats for our paying sponsors. Thats THEFT and GREED.
Would you like my help, as I use more bandwith for less money. 681 a month? Does that come with vasoline from the host because you are getting ****ed. I know what the sponsors pay you, why don't you tell everyone on the forum so they can see the costs are already covered easily, and this is just excess.

I realize it's optional, the smart members won't be giving up any adidtional money for things they can get for free elsewhere. Those stars are very pretty though.

Go ahead and fax me a copy, I will gladly pm you my fax line.

You should worry about upgrading to vb3 before asking for donations, or will we need to donate for that to happen as well? Want me to do it for you, I'll say I charged you 600 an hour that way you can ask for more money.

Old 03-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned
Originally posted by renntech36
That isn't the goal, I like this site, great info and great members. Donations are not necessary, sponsors cover the cost, and just because someone "doesn't need the money" doesn't mean they aren't pocketing the excess. Maybe they will buy a couple of new smilies...

Old 03-08-2005, 11:39 AM
SilverPorsche is infamous around these parts
Sticky -

You are a real jerk here.

This forum is fantastic and has saved me thousands upon thousands on buying my Turbo and on mods I have done.

You may have a forum but that doesn't make you the foremost on this particular one and what Ryan may have planned, his costs, ect.

I run a textile company and would never publically say that this is what goes on in someone elses textile compnay that I do not know and who is pocketing what. That is just showing your ignorance and that you are just to cheap to contribute to a forum that blows the doors off yours.

My advice....go back to your dinky Germantechnick forum and keep your opinions there

Old 03-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned
Originally posted by SilverPorsche
Sticky -

You are a real jerk here.

This forum is fantastic and has saved me thousands upon thousands on buying my Turbo and on mods I have done.

You may have a forum but that doesn't make you the foremost on this particular one and what Ryan may have planned. I run a textile company and would never publically say that this is what goes on in someone elses textile compnay that I do not know and who is pocketing what. That is just showing your ignorance and that you are just to cheap to contribute to a forum that blows the doors off yours.

My advice....go back to your dinky Germantechnick forum and keep your opinions there
I am not trying to be a jerk, just point out the obvious, costs are already covered, they are making money, and this is not fair to the membership. I realize this forum has tons of info, and great members, I LIKE IT, FOR THE LAST TIME.

This will not work, dtmpower tried it, people will not pay for what they can get for free, it just isn't smart. It's optional, no one is holding a gun to my head, but the fact is it doesn't look too good when you already have costs more than covered and are asking for more. If they were donating the excess funds to charity now that would be different...

As far as me not knowing what is going on, you think I don't talk to sponsors that are on here and know exactly what they pay for their space? Shank should share that info with everyone and then ask for donations...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I see something over the Tire Rack Banner