996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Behind the Scenes at AWE Tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor
Chris/AWE is a jewel in the roughChris/AWE is a jewel in the roughChris/AWE is a jewel in the rough
Behind the Scenes at AWE Tuning

Hi all,

We’ve had a few questions about the AWE Tuning headquarters lately, and what it looks like… thought I’d jump in here with a few shots of our 10,000 square foot headquarters right outside Philadelphia, PA and some of the toys that grace it daily.

Our “laboratory” is as much our Mustang MD-500 AWD Dyno, as it is CAD tools, our CNC machine or our corporate-sponsored New Jersey Motorsports Park.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

Cheers!

Alex

Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
nice facility,

the Faro platnium is that a form of a CMM machine?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor
Chris/AWE is a jewel in the roughChris/AWE is a jewel in the roughChris/AWE is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
nice facility,

the Faro platnium is that a form of a CMM machine?
Yes, the Faro arm is a coordinate measuring machine.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
WOW! That is sweet. I'm glad you shared the pics, Thanks. I love the statement over the Dyno, it fits very well.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:07 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Alex/AWE
Yes, the Faro arm is a coordinate measuring machine.

thats a much more compact unit then what ive used in the aerospace industry what does a setup like that run? i know the one i used was like 380k without the head and datums

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
rossignol24 is infamous around these partsrossignol24 is infamous around these parts
Awesome facility, I've been buying / looking at awe products for the past 7 years. Great products and hear nothing but great things. I'm actually out your way for work so I'll definitely be stopping down sometime this week... I need to start modding the GT2 ! !

Old 11-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Wolk's Wagon is infamous around these partsWolk's Wagon is infamous around these parts
thats a much more compact unit then what ive used in the aerospace industry what does a setup like that run? i know the one i used was like 380k without the head and datums
You think that one is compact, look at the little black one in the background behind the FMIC.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Wolk's Wagon
You think that one is compact, look at the little black one in the background behind the FMIC.
no fair you must have known about that one before hand i thought it was a lamp on the desk =)

Old 11-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rossignol24
Awesome facility, I've been buying / looking at awe products for the past 7 years. Great products and hear nothing but great things. I'm actually out your way for work so I'll definitely be stopping down sometime this week... I need to start modding the GT2 ! !
Please feel free to stop by anytime you're in the area. We'd love to show you the facility in person and help you plan out the next step for your car.

Originally Posted by Hogapalooza
WOW! That is sweet. I'm glad you shared the pics, Thanks. I love the statement over the Dyno, it fits very well.
Glad you liked the photos. That sign has become pretty famous over the years and it does fit very well. All of our products get tested on that Mustang Dyno. If it doesn't perform there, it doesn't get put into production.

380k? I don't know the exact cost, however I know it wasn't that much. We invest a lot of funds into tools that help our research and development process, but that's still a little rich for our blood at this stage.

Originally Posted by Wolk's Wagon
no fair you must have known about that one before hand i thought it was a lamp on the desk =)
Haha, the small digitizing arm looks like a baby's toy next to our Faro Arm. I can only imagine what it is like compared to the $380k tool you were using.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:38 PM
i was usging it to check the forged ti bell helicopter rotor holder, they cost 22k to make each and at one time i counted 305 waiting inspection. and with the boeing 777 landing gears behind them i really wonder how much the company i was working for 14$/hr was pulling in on my behalf ?

although there was alot of integrity in the shop as far as inspection (very odd to find this) it was not really that much of a high tech shop.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
hold up so not only were you getting anally raped by evoms but by work also 14/hr to work on things of such caliber. You own stock in KY?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
alex great looking facility

Old 11-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Blockhed
hold up so not only were you getting anally raped by evoms but by work also 14/hr to work on things of such caliber. You own stock in KY?

whats actually funny is they promoted me shortly after that from swing shift to day shift put the entire shops instrument calibrations under my responsibility (3300 instruments) and then told me they were taking my 1$/hr shift differential away! 10days later i was employed by another firm for 6 times the daily salary heh and left smiling

yea i might have some stock of KY but it doesn't get used in the manner your implying

Old 11-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
i'd love to see one of those vent gauge setups for a porsche !

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Our Faro arm was just shy of $50K and with the amount of time that is has saved us in R&D it has almost paid for itself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Behind the Scenes at AWE Tuning