996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Which Sway bars to buy and where?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2003 | 07:13 AM
|
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Which Sway bars to buy and where?

I want to add the adjustable swaybars front and rear, who makes the best ones and where should I buy them?

Thanks

Old 10-07-2003 | 07:37 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Budman,
You may want to rethink the front swaybar addition. The current thinking (which makes sense) is to just add a rear to stiffen up the rear and reduce the inherent understeer in the car. More torsionally stiff rear=more oversteer, more torsionally stiff front=more understeer. The word "torsionally" used in the preceding sentence refers to the car body's axial torsional rigidity (Sorry guys but at least some can appreciate it!!). That said, here are the sizes for the available bars:

Stock Front Swaybar 24mm
Stock Rear Swaybar 21.7mm

GT3 Front Swaybar 26.7mm 5 way
GT3 Rear Swaybar 20.8mm 4 way

TechArt Front Swaybar 23.8mm 3 way
TechArt Rear Swaybar 23mm 3 way

H&R Front Swaybar 25mm 3 way
H&R Rear Swaybar 24mm 3 way

I know a few people had some close tolerance issues with the H&R's but if that has been resolved I like them the best. Two reasons. First, they are the largest. The various connection points will vary the moment arm enough to give you a broad variation in stiffness with the stiffest probably stiffer than the rest. Secondly, they use a special teflon sleeve (similar to a chinese handcuff) that goes between the bar and the mounting bushing to quell creaks and squeaks. See pic below (courtesy of AWE Tuning).

Last edited by KPV; 10-07-2003 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2003 | 08:23 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
KPV-

Currently H&R has suspended selling the rear bars. The part # has also been discontinued.

H&R has decided to redesign the bar rather than add a small spacer which was initially planned.

I have not received a firm date of the new bars release, but H&R asked that all correspondence be handled through me.

-side note-

Tail of the Dragon sounds like a real hooty hoot. Todd and I have not done a group drive like that in years. Unfortunately we are unable to attend due to the fact that we will be in Germany for the Essen Motorshow. Bummer.

Driving the Autobahn is a real drag....

Old 10-07-2003 | 08:25 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
The rollbar has a stiffening effect as well. The most effective rollbar for stiffening the chassis will have a normal diagonal from one of the top corners to the opposing lower mount as well as a sloping X-Brace between the rear two mounting points (ideally mounted on the shock towers) and the top two corners of the roll bar. This would make the "X" parallel and directly beneath the rear glass. This effectively stiffenes the rear of the car behind the front seats. The car body still has torsional flexibility from that point forward unless a full cage is installed.