996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mich ps cup tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 06:12 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Agree with what the others have said: you need more negative camber. I run about -2.5deg on the track, -0.9deg on the street.

I wasn't able to get this much camber on my car (with PSS9) because the springs interfered with the inside of the shock tower. People with JIC seem not to have a problem. I'm in the process of changing my springs, and I have now learned the reason is that PSS9 springs are 70mm ID, whereas most springs are 60mm ID. So, it's the larger diameter springs that cause the interference problem.

As a result, you need to go with the GT3 split control arm. I can go from the street camber setting to track camber by adding 14mm shims (7+3+2+2). I also need to adjust the toe. On my car, 9.5 turns on each tie rod end does the trick. That will depend a lot on your ride height, etc., so you'll have to make some measurements to be sure.

I have adjustable toe links and dogbones in the rear. However, the toe link and split control arm would work back there as well. I run -2.9deg in the rear. Some people say this is too much, but I get very even tire wear across the profile with that setup.

It takes me about three hours total to swap tires, bleed brakes and adjust alignment to go between street and track settings. With this setup, I can get 8-10 track days from a set of MPSC's, compared to 3-4 before.

Jon