996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Mich ps cup tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:43 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Mich ps cup tire question

ps cup question
I have a 996tt and the front tires are worn more than the rears. The dimples on outer shoulder are all gone, I am past the wear indicators on most areas of fronts.

I guess this is bc it is a all wheel drive car and running -.9 camber front and -1.8ish rear.

No cords yet but it is my first time to run the ps cup tires on a car. I have done 5-6 track days, not sure how many heat cycles.

Are they toast?

Old 11-23-2010, 07:15 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
so the outside of your front tires wore out before the inside of the rear tires?

Old 11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
ps cup question
I have a 996tt and the front tires are worn more than the rears. The dimples on outer shoulder are all gone, I am past the wear indicators on most areas of fronts.

I guess this is bc it is a all wheel drive car and running -.9 camber front and -1.8ish rear.

No cords yet but it is my first time to run the ps cup tires on a car. I have done 5-6 track days, not sure how many heat cycles.

Are they toast?

Sounds like you need to run more front camber, I burned through a set of MPSC's really fast at the track because I didn't have enough camber, after increasing the camber the tire wears evenly now.

If the cords aren't showing you should be fine for a track day, just keep an eye on them.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
so the outside of your front tires wore out before the inside of the rear tires?

no, the fronts pretty much from 3/4 on outside are worn, so that the dimples on the outside patch are all gone and I am into the wear indicators. The rears have worn pretty evenly and still have sign of the dimples or cross etch pattern left.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Liquidcooled
Sounds like you need to run more front camber, I burned through a set of MPSC's really fast at the track because I didn't have enough camber, after increasing the camber the tire wears evenly now.

If the cords aren't showing you should be fine for a track day, just keep an eye on them.
thanks, I was thinking about the same and had heard other folks go through a set with out enough neg camber. All I can get right now is neg 9 at my height and with a stock set up aside from pss10's that are on the car.

Already have some rss goodies on rear.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
thanks, I was thinking about the same and had heard other folks go through a set with out enough neg camber. All I can get right now is neg 9 at my height and with a stock set up aside from pss10's that are on the car.

Already have some rss goodies on rear.

If it's in the budget add some GT3 or RSS adjustable lower control arms for the front, that's what I had to do to get the camber where I needed it. You should also run about .4 more negative camber in the front than the rear (e.g -2.0R and -2.4F), the MPSC's like negative camber. I also added a GT3 rear swaybar to help with the push. Once you get your car setup for these tires they stick like glue on the track and will last longer.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:33 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
+1 for the GT3 adjustable front control arms. They will allow you to get the added camber that you need. RSS makes some beautiful billet ones.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Need camber, no way around it.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
+1 camber. Say bye to most of the understeer to. Always check your tire pressures as well. on the subject of them being any good...After 4-5 heavy heat cycles or 4-5 light track days you are done as far as peak performance. I was just on another thread talking about how I live PS02's. But I must say the Toyo R888's are really great too if you want to try them. You can swap if the inside/outside wear is not even too.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for all the info all! Very helpful.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:21 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
+1 camber. Say bye to most of the understeer to. Always check your tire pressures as well. on the subject of them being any good...After 4-5 heavy heat cycles or 4-5 light track days you are done as far as peak performance. I was just on another thread talking about how I live PS02's. But I must say the Toyo R888's are really great too if you want to try them. You can swap if the inside/outside wear is not even too.

Sam i will get R888's next month,so they can be swaped...they don't have a giro direct ? do you understand me ??

Old 11-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Not asymmetric. As is left tire right tire. The are only directional. So they only spin one direction (forward) but the tread is rolling in the same direction if you swap the rear left tire with rear right keeping the wheels in there respective corners.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
So the inside of the left rear tire will be inside of the right rear wheel,is that correct ??

Old 11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Former Vendor
No it will be the outside. Picture that the wheels stay, the tires "slide over" still rolling in the same direction but swapping inside for outside.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Thank you Sam,i got it now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mich ps cup tire question