996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Camber Plates vs. GT3 Control Arms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM
rhargy is infamous around these parts
Camber Plates vs. GT3 Control Arms

Currently looking to increase camber (front and rear) beyond what the stock set up will allow. Some friends have indicated concern about the control arm approach leading to engagement problems with the half shafts, especially on the front and have suggested the camber plate approach. Others, naturally indicated no problem.

I'll probably be moving to the Moton Clubsport setup over the winter. The car gets used mildly on the street and gets most of its mileage on the track.

Any experience out there, positive or negative would be appreciated.

Have a great Thanksgiving all !

Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Control arms for sure. No issued with half shafts. The issue is if the wrong sway bar and drop links are used. Great mod! Call RSS.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I had GT3 lower arms and shimmed out to -4 front and 3.5 in rear with no half shaft problems. This also widens the track width of the car by a small amount whereas the camber plates do not.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Nothing wrong with lower control arms. I think you may be talking about the front half shafts maybe popping loose with too much negative camber? Still not an issue unless you are running HUGE amounts of negative camber. Like -4.5 or something.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by rhargy
Currently looking to increase camber (front and rear) beyond what the stock set up will allow. Some friends have indicated concern about the control arm approach leading to engagement problems with the half shafts, especially on the front and have suggested the camber plate approach. Others, naturally indicated no problem.

I'll probably be moving to the Moton Clubsport setup over the winter. The car gets used mildly on the street and gets most of its mileage on the track.

Any experience out there, positive or negative would be appreciated.

Have a great Thanksgiving all !
Running -2.9 degrees camber in the front with GT3 adjustable lower control arms with no problems at the track or on the street.

I was also told that you can run into problems with the half shaft popping out, but after doing lots of searches and seeing all the people running the GT3 arms without any problems I went with them.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:49 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Control arms for sure. No issued with half shafts. The issue is if the wrong sway bar and drop links are used. Great mod! Call RSS.
Would a h&r sway bar and pss10's droplinks be the wrong combo?

Good question brought up by the op, I am thinking of the same and my ptech said I could get -1.5 with it. Tuned in.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts
Would a h&r sway bar and pss10's droplinks be the wrong combo?

Good question brought up by the op, I am thinking of the same and my ptech said I could get -1.5 with it. Tuned in.
Opps! I thought you were talking about plates not control arms. Plates seemed to be the lesser expensive option for me right now.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
H&R will fit no problem because they are curved on the ends to go over the axle. GT-2/3 for example are straight so they hit the axle. H&R's are a bit stiff and heavy though. TPC, RSS and GMG have good light bars for your car too. With r-compound tires a stiff bar is nice. I love the PSS-10 for a street/track car. The included drop links are good.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I would trade my h&r but I need something light that's similar stiffness. Anyone know the weight difference?

Old 11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Originally Posted by hollywood996tts

You will need more than -1.5 degrees of camber in the front if you want to stop wearing out or cording the outside edges of your MPSC's, especially since you are running -1.8 degrees of camber in the rear, this setup will make your car really push and burn up your front tires quickly.

The GT3 or RSS adjustable lower control arms is the way to go if you are going to be tracking your car with R compounds.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned
speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !speed21 Is a GOD !
Gt3 arms all day....you can set the wheels nicely in the gaurds with the bottom of the rim coming out instead of the top of the wheel pulling in. The plates are ok but they leave you with a wheel that sits too far in at the top of the gaurd so you then have to use wheel spacers to get the wheel to sit right in the gaurds...otherwise she starts looking a bit like a shopping trolley. Never heard of shafts falling out either .

Old 11-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I would trade my h&r but I need something light that's similar stiffness. Anyone know the weight difference?
I'm not sure of the weight difference but the GMG adjustable swaybars will be as stiff or stiffer than your H&R bar and they are hollow.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Former Vendor
+1 on the lower arms. You can get up to -2.5 to 3 deg camber. Yeah H&R sways are solid. You can run mo-30 front and gt-3 rear. Hollow, cheap and with good front camber works well + rear is adjustable.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I think I will switch to a gt3 bar. But it would be nice to know the weight difference.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:42 AM
rhargy is infamous around these parts
Thanks all for the great input !

The control arms are certainly the overwhelming favorite. I'll certainly update when I get it finished (after paying the Xmas bills)

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving to all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camber Plates vs. GT3 Control Arms