996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wastegate Actuator noise/rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tvurt
Where is the play(movement)?

And no offense to sunnyside, but Chad posted the correct way to balance your wastegates.

The play can be in many places look at the arrows I drew.

Tom
No offence taken and I have told him another way. There is always more than one way to skin Rabbit.

Frank

Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alex55
So I finally went with the car to the service and the rattling is from this side, the wg is working fine. I hope that is not the problem that I am thinking...

Waiting for your help like always, thanks!

What problem do you think it is Alex......
Do they rattle when you use your hand to try to move the wastegate, or is the rattle when you are driving:
1. off boost
2. On boost
3. Engine Running or Not running.

I ask because the wastegate inside the turbo is a ceramic dis that is Riveted onto the crank arm. It is not a tightly riveted, it allows the disc to float a little so it makes a good seal over the wastegate outlet form the housing. This disc can rattle when there is no tension on the wastegate from the actuator. When the wastegate open under boost the ceramic disc can vibrate a little if becoming worn. It should not vibrate/rattle when off boost.
If the ceramic disc rattles off boost then there is no tension forcing the disc onto the wastegate hole.
Normal cause is seized partially closed wastegate or no tension form the actuator. Ie no preload on the rod.

Which is it Alex?

Frank

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
I've start to hear this sound a few moths ago, at 1600-1800rpm I hear a rattle. When I hit with the finger the rod from the wg it rattles. They tested the wg and is working fine so what can i do to get rid of this rattle?

I was thinking at the exhaust part of the turbo...

Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
I've start to hear this sound a few moths ago, at 1600-1800rpm I hear a rattle. When I hit with the finger the rod from the wg it rattles. They tested the wg and is working fine so what can i do to get rid of this rattle?

I was thinking at the exhaust part of the turbo...
Alex have you seen yourself the rod push the wastegate open. No ,matter how worn the bushing in the turbo casing is, when the actuator pulls ( preload ) on the little crank/arm it should not vibrate as all the play in the bushing is being taken out by preload from the actuator.

Are you also sure that the actuator is fully closed. I know you say its been set up, but the starting point should be with full closed wastgates. ie the ceramic disc should be tight over the waste gate outlet hole sealing it. If the ceramic disc is even 0.5mm from fully sealing the hole the disc will float ie it will be free to move on the rivet that it is connected to the arm with.
If you are not sure, you can get to the waste gate ceramic disc with just the exhaust off. check that the disc is pulled tightly over the hole/outlet.With the actuators set up correctly( correct pre-load) you should not be able to spin the disc around it should be fully pulled up to the face of the wastegate outlet hole.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 12-21-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:06 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
This piece is the problem

Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Alex, that should not rattle with pre-load applied. Are you sure the sound is not traveling from behind that arm inside the Turbo??
I then have to ask, are you sure there is pre-load on the arm, there should be. Under load the arm cant move to make a sound its beimg pulled very hard so cant rattle. It will only rattle if worn when not under any pre-load.

The only thing looking at the picture is they washer at the back of the arm could vibrate even when pre-load is present.
These arms are riveted to each other. That arm can not be riveted tight as it has to have clearance to move, so a packing washer is placed at the back of the arm and metal is peened over so stop the washer form coming of. If they are slightly worn the washer could rattle. I cant see this is a big problem. To prove a theory, pack the back of that arm and washer with high temperature copper grease and see if that stops the rattle for a while.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 12-21-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Thanks Frank!

Anybody else??

Old 12-23-2010, 01:56 AM
BUMP!

Wtf nobody except Frank (Sunnyside) can help on this forum??

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Hi Alex,
TBH its probably at the stage where anyone would need to be with you to see for them selves. Try making a video for us to see a bit more.

If you are getting the required boost with the turbos set up correctly, not dropping boost or over boosting, no codes or any other reason to suggest a fault then it might just be a case of an annoying rattle. Try the HT copper grease, not for a long term fix but to prove the rattle is or is not from the arm in the picture. If a little copper grease helps to start with I would suggest the rattle is causing no harm and it might just be a case of "Live with it". It could be one of those rattles that will go away on its own.
Who knows. unless I was there I Cant think of another way to suggest for you. I have a idea on how I would continue, I'm just not sure just how much you have done/tested.
I will keep reading and see how you get on.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 12-23-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Found out the cause of the rattling!!!

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Found out the cause of the rattling!!!
good find, should be easy to fix, was there any loss of power or just the rattle? could be worse

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
good find, should be easy to fix, was there any loss of power or just the rattle? could be worse
Hi, that is the heat shield of the left turbo, no loss of power just an annoying noise between 1600-1800rpm and only while driving the car.

They just weld it.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi, that is the heat shield of the left turbo, no loss of power just an annoying noise between 1600-1800rpm and only while driving the car.

They just weld it.
Hi Alex, good news.
At least you still have the heat shields. Mine corroded so badly they fell off. I saw one bouncing across the road in my mirror.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Hi Alex, good news.
At least you still have the heat shields. Mine corroded so badly they fell off. I saw one bouncing across the road in my mirror.
Hi Frank, yes now i can start to enjoy again the car but i still have a few rattlings to fix inside the cabin

The new bad news is that my hydraulics from the spoiler started to leak

Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Hi Frank, yes now i can start to enjoy again the car but i still have a few rattlings to fix inside the cabin

The new bad news is that my hydraulics from the spoiler started to leak
Is that bad news or the just excuse you need to bin the hydraulics and have a better spoiler fitted or even the fixed wing option

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wastegate Actuator noise/rattle