996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any interests in a 996TT knowledge thread?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Any interests in a 996TT knowledge thread?

I have seen threads started on Ferrari boards and such that contain lots of good to know info. I think it is a great source for things like acceptable substitute parts sources, hints on other maintenance items and mods, and lionks to other helpful sites. A perfect example is the alternator for our cars. Their is a bosch unit that you can buy from almost any O'reilly or napa and the substitute part number is ____. Or the diverter valve on the 996TT is a common VAG part as well under part number____. Or before you replace your wing hydraulics, try this procedure first____.

I posted general examples to get my point across, but you get the point. I think a thread like this would be a great source for people that don't like to just throw money at the dealership to cover the P-tax to let them fix it. The Ferrari 348 community has found a heap of replacement/upgrade parts that has made their cars more repliable and cheaper to maintain in many ways. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Schmoo is infamous around these parts
+1
Really helpful for those of us thinking of pulling the trigger

Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Good idea!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:15 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
My contribution is for the bosch diverter valves. The 710N is a VAG part that has proven itself to be reliable up to ~20psi of boost and doesn't require lubrication. Part number is 06A-145-710-N and is available at at any VW or Audi dealership. They have updated the valve even more which will change the "N" to another letter, but as long as it is an"N" revision or higher it is a good part.

As some of you know, the N75 valve is also a Bosch VAG part as well. I am however not sure what the porsche part number is verses the VW/AUDI parts nor do I know compatibility. The VW is quite possibly cheaper though.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Excellent idea - The problem would be to differentiate a "normal" post with one intended for this new thread. Isn't this what is already happening on this site? The posts are a little more mixed up but all the info is there. Perhaps someone with admin access could make such a thread that included links to relevant threads - it would just be a lot of work but extremely useful in the end.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
i think there should be a section with this, like in any other website. If the thread is worth putting there once the discussion is pretty much over, we can just transfer it to the knowledge section and it can be used for future reference. Like a master thread or vit (very important thread) section

Old 11-27-2010, 01:21 PM
All that needs to be done is to make a sticky that anyone can contribute to. The mods would then need to edit the thread to avoid posts that are not contributions. It doesn't need to be too complicated. Just one sticky thread with good info.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Oh, and when somebody posts good info on another thread, it would just be linked on the knowledge thread with an explanation. Or even links to other sites with good info.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
from the tone of a few other threads do you want to preclude vendors from this proposed knowledge thread? as despised as they seem to be they are a knowledge source...I think if they make a contribution it would be ok but if they are in there selling or dumping on another vendor or member then their posts should be removed...if members would simply use the report function for non-contributing posts it would be easy to moderate....I think it is a good idea....links to another site I'll have to check on...they are ok if they are not active but I will ask the admins about active links to other sites (shouldn't be a problem if they are forums or boards and not vendor sites)

Old 11-27-2010, 01:50 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
This website is so complicated...

Old 11-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Well, I think that if a vendor is to contribute a clear explanation of what constitutes a contribution and a product plug from a vendor. Most vendors do not intend on plugging a product that will make them look bad, but they will work more for their own benefit. I don't think vendors should use the thread to plug a product. But if they provide technical advice or info that would be great.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:06 PM
1q2w3e4r is infamous around these parts
Sounds like a good idea I've seen plenty of them over on M3forums titled "things you didn't know about your M3" as I'm sure heaps of other members have

I think it would work quite well

Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
I am in support of this idea, I've seen it executed on some other sites I browse for some of my other model cars and it makes finding project really simple and its just nice to have TONS of good useful information in one well put together thread.

Justin

Old 11-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
the fact that this is a vendor supported forum and requires no contribution from members does make it more complicated and a big headache for the mods...mods are members too...they aren't paid staff they are volunteer members...we don't particularly care for the commercial direction the forum has taken either because we are enthusiasts, just like you...believe me, we **** off the vendors too because they would love to do more than we permit them to do...I think you nailed it..."technical advice or info only"...if a vendor abuses the priviledge we can fix that...let me see if the admins will give us another sub-forum in the 996tt section that can be the "996tt knowledge forum"

Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
turbotoys1 is infamous around these parts
yes let's make one

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any interests in a 996TT knowledge thread?