996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

A few laps around Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
A few laps around Laguna Seca

Mike (Porka) and I were at a Laguna Seca track event with NCRC this weekend. I registered to drive for Saturday as a few weeks ago it said it was going to be sunny and rain on Sunday but it turned out to be the opposite. It was raining like crazy and all I had was slicks. On my first session of the day, my rear- left went flat between turn 4 and 5. Good thing it was raining or else at the speeds I would have been going in the dry, it would have been very bad. Also a big thank you to Mike for lending me his spare set of slick tires. Without your kindness it would have been game over for the rest of the weekend for me.
Other than that, not much action at the track with slicks in the wet as they are for the dry, so I just cruised and had fun. On Sunday Mike lend me his car on slicks + dry day to do 3 hot laps and wow I wished I had my car, but I could not get my new tires mounted in time as all local tire shops were closed. Hopefully December 31st it will be a dry session and shatter some 996 turbo lap records.
p.s.
My best lap time of the day was a 1:44 (timed from corkscrew to corkscrew) on a wet track with half of that lap being my out lap and half of it a hot lap + traffic + I was just taking it easy as the track was wet and I was on slicks. The rest of the session was ruined by traffic. It is really a sigh of relief knowing this car is fast even though conditions did not permit to showcase it. I really think the car is capable in helping me get my goal of sub 1:36’s at Laguna Seca. But Talk is cheap, I hope to be back at the track in 4 weeks to make it happen.

I was waiting for the fastest GTR on the track that day. I could barely keep up, he kept inching away. Great AWD and computer aids that thing has to sort itself out in the rain as you will see in turn 2 when I let him pass to play some cat and mouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eW2gOjmtnM

This video is the only session of the day when it was not raining and you can start to see a dry line forming. The ‘dry line’ only lasted 3 laps, and my fastest lap if timed at the top if timed from corkscrew to corkscrew was the fastest of the day. Too much traffic to be timed at start/finished line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioIdgzj3fWo

This was my second session of the day, it was raining pretty hard. So I was just taking it chill and instructing on car control. Mostly showing how one can drive comfortable in the rain and there’s no need to panic. The car was at the limit of adhesion on slicks on, any miscalculated input and it was bad. I did go off a bit in the later session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hBWfYpRLEc

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 11-29-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:22 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Something to watch this evening, thanks E.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:36 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwei
Something to watch this evening, thanks E.
No problem. I hope it entertains you, specialy the part when I'm going deep into the braking zone into turn 2, while looking for a good radio station. ( I was bored)

Old 11-30-2010, 03:42 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Good stuff guys.... looks like a blast, even in the rain! Makes me miss my car...

Old 11-30-2010, 06:49 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Nice, it looks like fun, thanks!

ps. you should find another position for the GoPro.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Originally Posted by flash68
Good stuff guys.... looks like a blast, even in the rain! Makes me miss my car...
Dave, you should come sometime. We are going again Decm 31st, yes i know a bit hard to have some people make it on that day. But it's fun in the dry killing just about everything. Having battles with drivers and passing them in the race group/ open group is equivilent to about 1,000,000 60-130's and about 10,000,000 1/4 drag passes

Originally Posted by alex55
Nice, it looks like fun, thanks!

ps. you should find another position for the GoPro.
The first video posted, that was not a good place, the others were okay. as you can see driver inputs etc. imo.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Very smooth driving style... compliments Enrique!! Very fast without abusing the car, that's how I like it!How do you like your clubsport (KW)? Are they too harsh on the street?

Old 11-30-2010, 04:01 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Nice vids Enrique,too hard to drive with xlicks in the rain,even that you were going fast passing the other cars.Congrats and thanks for the vids.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Sign of the cross at the start? Or just scratching your nose? lol

Looks like fun!!! I am so ready for spring DE!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Very smooth driving style... compliments Enrique!! Very fast without abusing the car, that's how I like it!How do you like your clubsport (KW)? Are they too harsh on the street?
Thank you for the compliments! I love the KW clubsport, nothing about them so far that I do not like. I have 4k miles on them and Iv only had them for 4 months. They are very easy to navigate and find a good setup on what your looking for. They suit me very nice in the back roads and on the track. Hopefully in 4 weeks Ill have more data on how they do at laguna seca. I'm expecting 1:35's or lower with them, in the dry.

Originally Posted by rdss
Nice vids Enrique,too hard to drive with xlicks in the rain,even that you were going fast passing the other cars.Congrats and thanks for the vids.
Thank you Rolando. How is your setup working out for you ? Are you enjoying the settings we exchanged via pm ? How was your track day ?

Originally Posted by raineycd
Sign of the cross at the start? Or just scratching your nose? lol

Looks like fun!!! I am so ready for spring DE!

I always do it before i go out, and with 3 signals forward; it's a habbit' i'm just a tad superstitious when it comes to racing. I follow a few other habbits.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Nm.......

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
[quote=f1crazydriver;3054259]

Thank you Rolando. How is your setup working out for you ? Are you enjoying the settings we exchanged via pm ? How was your track day ?

Enrique i still haven't go to the track yet,i hope to go eather this weekend or next one.I¡ll let you know but the springs feels incredible,it's another car,really amazing.