996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996TT Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Chet M is infamous around these parts
996TT Windshield Replacement

Decided to take the twin out today for work since I wasnt going to be with any clients. Was driving on I-5 near Lathrop and Manteca,Ca and got wacked by a rock about the size of a dime. I didnt see it coming until the last second and could do nothing but watch it hit. Needless to say it put a bullseye in my windshield about the size of a quarter. I am trying the liquid windshield repair (its drying right now) to see if I can live with the results. If not, does anyone know a good place somewhere in the Central Valley or Bay Area that can replace a 996TT windshield and do the work RIGHT? I've had a few windshields replaced in my lifetime on different cars and it seems they can never match the factory installs. This would include the dealerships as well. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Chet,

I have THE glass company, they come to our dealership.

Call or email me with your VIN number, Ill check availability of the glass (only use OE Porsche glass) and can set something up for tomorrow, etc.

Brian Haske
Carlsen Porsche
650.701.9200 X 103
brian.haske@carlsenporsche.com

Old 03-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
Good to see someone out in my neck of the woods. (I'm in Manteca) I'm sorry to hear of your windshield. I've had mine replaced before and I have but one recommendation; OEM glass. Do not settle for anything but. I had my dealer handle the replacement (which they outsourced) and it was handled with no issue, good as new. The work was handled by Claridge's in/near Fremont. I also recommend Carlsen (In Menlo Park) or Stead in Walnut Creek. Both dealerships are top notch. Unfortunately, those are the closest to us. (Fresno and Sac are the other choices.)

Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
did your insurance cover it? how much is glass and labor?

Old 03-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC is infamous around these partsRobynC is infamous around these parts
It was a few years back, and yes, they did, minus my deductible. Total was $800.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
Ruiner is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by RobynC
It was a few years back, and yes, they did, minus my deductible. Total was $800.
Same thing for me on November of last year. Same price as well. Now, if you have the rain sensing device, then it should be around $1200 give or take.

Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
bond is infamous around these parts
Make sure they use the ADHESIVE SET from Porsche!! - not whatever silicone is in the Windshield Installer's glue gun. No dealer I know has ever used it voluntarily since its expensive (I forced my dealer to use the correct part # 000-043-300-94 @ $102.86)

Bond

Old 03-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Chet M is infamous around these parts
Brian- I will call you tomorrow. I know Gary and Larry in sales and was gonna call them but it looks like you're the man to see. I havent been to the new Dealership yet. I used to work out there in a few years back and would pop in every so often but that was at the old location.

Robyn- Hello Robyn. I've seen your car here on the site. Very nice ride...fast I'm sure too. Yeah, we dont see too many Porsches our way, seems like everyone is into the SUV's with 22 inch wheels out here. Of course that would be me too for the work wagon!

Collin - I hear the cost is about $1500 and of course it would happen now. I havent had an insurance claim ever and I decided to raise my deductible up some figuring that I could save some dough and look what happens!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 AM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Sounds good to me,
I did check, we do have the windshield in stock

Old 03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Re: 996TT Windshield Replacement

Originally posted by Chet M
Decided to take the twin out today for work since I wasnt going to be with any clients. Was driving on I-5 near Lathrop and Manteca,Ca and got wacked by a rock about the size of a dime. I didnt see it coming until the last second and could do nothing but watch it hit. Needless to say it put a bullseye in my windshield about the size of a quarter. I am trying the liquid windshield repair (its drying right now) to see if I can live with the results. If not, does anyone know a good place somewhere in the Central Valley or Bay Area that can replace a 996TT windshield and do the work RIGHT? I've had a few windshields replaced in my lifetime on different cars and it seems they can never match the factory installs. This would include the dealerships as well. Any info would be appreciated.
isn't the turbo windshield the same as the non tt 996? fwiw, i had safelite.com supply and install mine (at my house) and the total was less than $500. they did a great job.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Brian Haske
Sounds good to me,
I did check, we do have the windshield in stock
more than one? i may replace mine too, altho i know i'll get a chip the next day

Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
hope all turns well

Old 03-10-2005, 11:52 AM
safelite.com supply and install

DONT use aftermarket, or you'll regret it later.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:49 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Re: safelite.com supply and install

Originally posted by Brian Haske
DONT use aftermarket, or you'll regret it later.
i didn't regret it at all. fit was perfect as was service and i had no problems out of it whatsoever.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:09 PM
does aftermarket and oem have diff insignias on the glass?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996TT Windshield Replacement