996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

S-Car-Go Carbon Fiber Intake. Any Data?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Joe Weinstein
So the EVO hose kit will accomplish approximately the same
thing?
Apples and oranges. The EVO Boost Hose Kit contains the hoses AFTER the turbos. The S-Car-Go intake plenum (and the Gemballa and FVD products) consist of the piping BEFORE the turbos -- the piping between the airbox and the turbos. As Sharky observed, they serve completely different purposes.

Craig

Old 03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Joe Weinstein
what new EVO intake? I don't see that on their site...
I think Sharky is referring to the new V-Flow air box that EVO will be releasing next week.

Craig

Old 03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Old 03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Gotcha. Interesting. Yes, i'd like to hear the cost and
gain...
Joe

Old 03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sharkster
Loose suspension is not a good idea but as you saw with Fred's he had all kindsa race parts on their from a GT3 cup car that take up way less space. There was no way for it to rub or do anything of the sort. In fact the areas where the holes occured were facing down towards the pavement and on a part that's away from any suspension part too. I don't know what happened before when it was installed at DynoSpot.

In all seriousness though, whilst it does make power I just think there's always a risk when using carbon fiber in the undercarriage like that. Any debris hits that at 100mph and buy bye...

It should also be said that even though you have never had a problem your car is not exactly the best testiment for its safety as a daily driver is it

Not gonna get any rocks hitting it on the dyno are we
Alex,

KA has left the track at well over 100 mph going into the dirt and weeds. Still no problems. I can't help but to believe there is something to what caused the damage that isn't meeting the eye. I am not saying that I know anything ......... but for that matter neither does anyone else. Everyone is just guessing.

Old 03-10-2005, 09:51 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by fredttx50
Chad, yes it was a suspension issue and it wasn't my installers fault like Rob states. His mechanic at the time came to look at the damage and noticed that S Car Go did not properly fasten some bolts, hence the rubbing. (he admitted that it was S Car Go's fault).

Even if it wasn't a rock that hit it, and just some rubbing, that shows to me that the design is flawed.

Joe, you can make up your own mind of course but at least listen to what everyone has to say. (it happened to me several times and cost me thousands of $$$ out of my pocket as well as time) S Car go, will not give a **** if it happens to you.

Sorry Chad, but you are too closely affiliated to S Car go to give an unbiased response.

Joe, I reiterate, DO NOT TAKE CHANCES, an extra few ponies will not make up for lost turbos, need of a new setup, and labor hours.
Fred,

Excuse me, but if you are talking about your first breakage, I don't believe S Car Go did your suspension. Would you please clear this up. Second, didn't S Car Go take care of your turbo's even though they didn't touch your suspension? I don't call this "not giving a ****." Please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Second, I do not believe the other tuners at the last event share your opinion. I heard some comments quite to the contrary. If any of them agree with what you are saying, then we would all like to hear from them. I know several of them are on this board.

I also find it it strange that more than one of them use this intake as part of their packages. Out of the approx. 100 units installed all the problems seem to occur with two or three customers. I believe you lead the pack with three incidents. Why aren't the approx. other 97 customers having the same problem? This is a legitimate question.

Last edited by cjv; 03-10-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:09 PM
cjv
Originally posted by Craig
Joe,

As Sharky stated, the power delta is entriely a function of the turbos you are using. The larger and more air hungry the turbos are, the greater the hp increase by increasing the air supply. Stock turbos get all the air they need from the stock intake piping.

Personally, I went with the Gemballa intake piping.

Craig
Craig,

You are incorrect to a great degree. First, the hoses introduce turbulance and restrictions. Flow test them and you will find this to be true. Second. the hoses are only part of the problem. The aluminum to a larger extent, the hoses to a lesser extent introduce heat sink and result in warmer air which translates to less oxygen molecles per given volume which means less power.

Please understand. I am not saying these other products are not an improvement over the stock product. They are an improvement, however none of them approach the S Car Go product performance wise.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 PM
cjv
"Not gonna get any rocks hitting it on the dyno are we"

One question please. Is this the same sharkster who I gave a ride to on Mt. Hamilton Road. Didn't we bottom out the car at a high rate of speed over a half inch road improvement? I believe we also dodged a bird in flight at a very high rate of speed.

Please don't insinuate KA is a dyno queen. You of all people know better. You also know I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Alex,

KA has left the track at well over 100 mph going into the dirt and weeds. Still no problems. I can't help but to believe there is something to what caused the damage that isn't meeting the eye. I am not saying that I know anything ......... but for that matter neither does anyone else. Everyone is just guessing.
LOL I wouldn't like to be leaving the track in a 3200 pound car at 100mph tho Who was that?

I had first hand experience with James, Fred on the last occasion where they were fine before leaving for vegas and then whilst driving there.... the rest is history I felt so bad for Fred to have that as the reason for his disq from the contest as I really thought his car stood a chance of winning... I know the roads are pretty bad there in Vegas and yes there is all kindsa debris so shrug.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
"Not gonna get any rocks hitting it on the dyno are we"

One question please. Is this the same sharkster who I gave a ride to on Mt. Hamilton Road. Didn't we bottom out the car at a high rate of speed over a half inch road improvement? I believe we also dodged a bird in flight at a very high rate of speed.

Please don't insinuate KA is a dyno queen. You of all people know better. You also know I have nothing to prove to anyone.
I was poking fun at ya:P And plus I'm happy that mins is back

I do remember that ride back in the day and I know the bird wasn't responsible for any damage... the JRZs took care of that

Bottoming out the car is going to hurt all of us with either FVD, Scargo or other headers. In fact we all go so low that the drivers side header in particularily always gets scuffed... I can't tell you how many we've seen that get damaged. Oops mine were too

I just want to see her out there on the drag strip...

Last edited by sharkster; 03-10-2005 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I just want to sum up that based on what I have seen, YES the Scargo intake does make power but NO I don't believe that carbon fiber down there in the undercarriage is the best material to be used especially on a street car. In my mind it's just too risky. That's just my opinion however minute and humble and I'm not knocking the product at all in terms of power.... I'm just not going to use it on my car for that reason. I went with the FVD one which is actually so similair to what RuF uses

And not to poke fun at you but in reality your car hasn't been a commuter car/daily driver for the last 3 years like Fred's was. He put like 30k miles on that if I remember right and so in my mind it didn't pass the "road" test.

I know he no longer has the car but I do take his side on the frustration he had with not being able to compete.

Last edited by sharkster; 03-10-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 PM
And just to re-iterate the same point I am making, take a look at this response from Kevin (who I know you trust and value in terms of his opinion)

From
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=190429

He says:

"Joe, I think that there are better systems that are out there. The carbon fiber is very fragile, ask Fred at this years shootout.. His car was disabled after throwing a ton of cash for the event, just to be ruined by FOD damage to the compressor wheels.. Any rocks or road debris can crack the intake.. I have repaired 3 sets of turbo's that have ran this intale...

Please note that this is a VERY GOOD concept!!! There are many other safer manufactures, Gemballa, Ruf and your own home made system!!! Ruf basically uses universal radiator hose.. Stop by a local NAPA store and look at the hose, it is flexible, and basically will conform to the bends and shape that you need..

Edit.. FVD also has a system.."

Old 03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
cjv
Alex,

I have an extreme amount of respect for both you and Kevin. I believe we all know the S Car Go developes the most power for an intake. We know carbon fiber is no where near as impact resistent as a rubber hose. We know the death of a S Car Go system is an improperly installed suspension.

Now as for the rocks. I hate to give away all my secrets, but has anyone ever heard of neophreme (spelling) or wet suit material? A little glued on the bottom of the carbon fiber where it is exposed does wonders. As a plus, it is very light.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:57 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Just a fyi Chad: Neoprene

Old 03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
With all do respect to S-Car-Go/cjv, given the application, CF simply does not make sense to me.

CF is used for places where you need extreme rigidity without the penalty of weight.

Well, from a weight-savings stand point, we are talking ounces here... so, it can't be that. Even at a couple lbs, it's near inconsequential.

From a ridigidy stand point, the levels that the CF achieves are again, inconsequential and unnecessary for the application.

From a heat-shielding standpoint, the air does not spend enough time in the passage to be a factor, and that's assuming that it's heat-shielding abilities can not be matched, which is not the case. So, dynamic heat-soak is not the point.

Now, let's look at the negatives... it is brittle. The construction is most likely comprised of not very many layers of CF cloth... maybe a couple at most. Vibrations and derbis can crack the resin, sucking it into the turbos and motor. And CF is not that puncture resistance, relatively speaking. One needs to look at a kevlar blend to achieve that. And all this is exacerbated by the fact that the turbo inlet is within inches from the ground, in close proximity to a wide patch of driven tire. Even if wrapped in protective neophrene, a rock could transmit enough shock to loosen resin, where as with plastic or al, it's simply bounce off or dent. And in the case that al and plastic is penetrated, it doesn't send shrapnel into the system as would CF setup.

Now, even if there were the slightest of advantages to the CF setup, which I simply don't see, the unnecessary and real increase in a less robust system simply can't and shouldn't be tolerated.

So, let's ask ourselves: using CF to achieve minimal weight savings and extreme but needless rigidity... as a trade-off for a less robust setup. Why? There are simply way to many alternatives that are much more robust than this.

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-11-2005 at 10:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S-Car-Go Carbon Fiber Intake. Any Data?