996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

S-Car-Go Carbon Fiber Intake. Any Data?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:17 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
S-Car-Go Carbon Fiber Intake. Any Data?

Hi all. I have the opportunity to save the labor costs on an
install of the S-Car-Go carbon fiber intake pieces. I am told
that it does make a power difference in the mid-range,
which is what I would like.
Does anyone have power data that helps isolate/verify
the benefits of this piece?

thanks
Joe Weinstein

Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Joe, DO NOT GET THE S CAR GO UNIT!!!!! TRUST ME, I HAVE LOST 2-3 SETS OF TURBO'S BECAUSE OF THEIR FREAKING CARBON FIBER MATERIAL.

IF A ROCK HITS THOSE PIPES, THE CF WILL CRACK AND GET SUCKED INTO YOUR TURBOS AND POSSIBLY YOUR ENGINE.

TRUST ME , YOU DON'T WANT TO GO WITH THEM. GET THE FVD ONES!

ASK ANYONE FROM THE SHOOTOUT WHO SAW WHAT HAPPENED.

AGAIN, DO NOT GET THEM OR YOU WILL PAY IN THE END.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Fred. If I were to use any new intake system,
is there any strong data showing the benefit?
thanks
Joe

Old 03-10-2005, 12:48 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Joe what turbos do you have right now? At the point where they're large enough to need more air then an intake is beneficial but if you have K16s or K24s your money is better spent elsewhere.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Joe,

Twenty-four rwhp gain with the S Car Go unit. As for problems with the unit. I along with most people who have installed them have never had a problem. I know Fred says he had a rock problem the last time however that is the only rock problem I have heard of. I know the first problem Fred had was due to a suspension part not being secured properly. I know of three others who have had the same problem due to not tightening the suspension properly. This is critical with the S Car Go intake. A loose suspension can't damage a rubber hose.

If you install it properly in addition to making sure that anyone works on your suspension secures the suspension parts properly, then you won't have problems.

If you want a back up on the power figures, give Stephen @ Imagine Auto a call.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Joe,

As Sharky stated, the power delta is entriely a function of the turbos you are using. The larger and more air hungry the turbos are, the greater the hp increase by increasing the air supply. Stock turbos get all the air they need from the stock intake piping.

Personally, I went with the Gemballa intake piping.

Craig

Old 03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Joe,

Twenty-four rwhp gain with the S Car Go unit. As for problems with the unit. I along with most people who have installed them have never had a problem. I know Fred says he had a rock problem the last time however that is the only rock problem I have heard of. I know the first problem Fred had was due to a suspension part not being secured properly. I know of three others who have had the same problem due to not tightening the suspension properly. This is critical with the S Car Go intake. A loose suspension can't damage a rubber hose.

If you install it properly in addition to making sure that anyone works on your suspension secures the suspension parts properly, then you won't have problems.

If you want a back up on the power figures, give Stephen @ Imagine Auto a call.
Loose suspension is not a good idea but as you saw with Fred's he had all kindsa race parts on their from a GT3 cup car that take up way less space. There was no way for it to rub or do anything of the sort. In fact the areas where the holes occured were facing down towards the pavement and on a part that's away from any suspension part too. I don't know what happened before when it was installed at DynoSpot.

In all seriousness though, whilst it does make power I just think there's always a risk when using carbon fiber in the undercarriage like that. Any debris hits that at 100mph and buy bye...

It should also be said that even though you have never had a problem your car is not exactly the best testiment for its safety as a daily driver is it

Not gonna get any rocks hitting it on the dyno are we

Last edited by sharkster; 03-10-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:48 PM
Hi. My car is a stock k16 (non-X50) with a europipe.
Joe

Old 03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
go for EVO www.evoms.com

Old 03-10-2005, 02:58 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Chad, yes it was a suspension issue and it wasn't my installers fault like Rob states. His mechanic at the time came to look at the damage and noticed that S Car Go did not properly fasten some bolts, hence the rubbing. (he admitted that it was S Car Go's fault).

Even if it wasn't a rock that hit it, and just some rubbing, that shows to me that the design is flawed.

Joe, you can make up your own mind of course but at least listen to what everyone has to say. (it happened to me several times and cost me thousands of $$$ out of my pocket as well as time) S Car go, will not give a **** if it happens to you.

Sorry Chad, but you are too closely affiliated to S Car go to give an unbiased response.

Joe, I reiterate, DO NOT TAKE CHANCES, an extra few ponies will not make up for lost turbos, need of a new setup, and labor hours.

Old 03-10-2005, 02:58 PM
So the EVO hose kit will accomplish approximately the same
thing?

Old 03-10-2005, 03:02 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Joe Weinstein
Hi. My car is a stock k16 (non-X50) with a europipe.
Joe
I do not think upgraded intake piping will provide any meaningful increase in HP for stock k16s (unless you are running them at 2 bar). The stock intake piping should get the turbos all the air they need.

Craig

Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Joe Weinstein
So the EVO hose kit will accomplish approximately the same
thing?
The EVO boost hose kit is for maintaining boost. It's not really needed on anything until a Stage IV or plus I'd say.... Stock hoses are known to leak boost and pop off under higher boost situations is all.

They are different parts.

Seeing as you have K16 I do not think the intake plenum will make a difference.

The new EVO intake however does so.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:32 PM
what new EVO intake? I don't see that on their site...

Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
Wouldn't reconfiguring the intake tract make changes in certain characteristics of the motor like where the horsepower and torque came in? It would seem to me a freer flowing intake and exhaust would possibly help in that regard up to a point of practical returns?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S-Car-Go Carbon Fiber Intake. Any Data?