996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

see anything wrong in this data log file?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor
acuteperformance is infamous around these parts
see anything wrong in this data log file?

Did a 3rd gear pull from 3000-5400 RPM (too much traffic) tonight. See anything wrong? I feel like I'm running a bit rich since my tailpipes are black and it always smells like gas.

However, looking at the data, when I'm at max boost it seems like my AF is just about right.

I'm running the Softronic tune w/ no other mods right now.

Thanks.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	996tt_log.png
Views:	277
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	139338  

Last edited by acuteperformance; 12-11-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:55 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Looks rich to me especially on the low end. Would be good to see your timing numbers, but on your tuner would know if things are working as they have been programmed.

Without the maps, would be hard to comment specifically...

Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
If it's a WOT run it does not look rich to me. It may be a little lean. You really need a run to go all the way to the redline to evaluate AFRs, imo. Near redline would like to see lambda at 0.8 or a little less at WOT. Timing angle is another critical parameter to also look at. If it were my car, I would run again at a time when you can get a longer run say 2000-redline in fourth gear. Also tick the timing angle parameter.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
not enough load for analysis....boost and cfm are low so at this point afr is good imho

Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
thanks guys. i'll see if i can find an open stretch of highway to do a proper run and check the timing angle.

to get bar i subtract 1000 from the boost pressure sensor since it's in millibar? the softronic says it'll raise boost to 1 bar so I want ot make sure I odn't have any boost leaks as well.

michael
acute performance

Old 12-12-2010, 01:41 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by acuteperformance
to get bar i subtract 1000 from the boost pressure sensor since it's in millibar? the softronic says it'll raise boost to 1 bar so I want ot make sure I odn't have any boost leaks as well.
Thats correct about boost pressure sensor. Unfortunately, in my experiance, you cant check for boost leaks reliably by looking at a log. In the case of most leaks except for the largest ones (which throw a CEL) the total boost of the car will be the same. The turbos will just have to work harder to get there and the power will come on more gradually than it should. To test for small leaks that dont throw a CEL you need to pressure test the system with or without smoke. Do a search on how to do this. There are several threads...

Old 12-12-2010, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor
that's what i was afraid of. thanks.

michael

Originally Posted by MBailey
Thats correct about boost pressure sensor. Unfortunately, in my experiance, you cant check for boost leaks reliably by looking at a log. In the case of most leaks except for the largest ones (which throw a CEL) the total boost of the car will be the same. The turbos will just have to work harder to get there and the power will come on more gradually than it should. To test for small leaks that dont throw a CEL you need to pressure test the system with or without smoke. Do a search on how to do this. There are several threads...

Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor
Didn't see the timing angle option in Durametric. Did you mean something else? Here is an updated sheet with a better data.

Will do a boost leak test at some point.

Michael
Acute Performance - DPE Master Dealer

Originally Posted by MBailey
Also tick the timing angle parameter.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20101212_DataLog.png
Views:	135
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	139368  
Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Is this a stock K16 car? Boost seems low for anything more that a stock K16.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Former Vendor
Yes, it's stock K16 turbos but I'm running Softronic tune. What are you thinking?

Michael
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by raineycd
Is this a stock K16 car? Boost seems low for anything more that a stock K16.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Yes, it's stock K16 turbos but I'm running Softronic tune. What are you thinking?

Michael
Acute Performance
That would explain the rich AFRs. You should be around 1 - 1.1 bar boost I would think and it look like you are around .6 - .7. Def check for boost leaks, etc.

How old are your spark plugs, etc?

Should have a tick for ignition angle (I think it is near the the top part of the list under RPM).

Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Former Vendor
Ahh yes there is ignition angle but no timing angle. Anything in the graph you don't need to see?

Spark plugs are less than 1 month old and I'm hoping me running rich hasnt fouled them up too bad.

Michael
Acute Performance

Old 12-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Ahh yes there is ignition angle but no timing angle. Anything in the graph you don't need to see?

Spark plugs are less than 1 month old and I'm hoping me running rich hasnt fouled them up too bad.

Michael
Acute Performance
What plugs?

Don't need MAF or the O25 volt...

Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Former Vendor
lol thanks. i found that same thread and reading through it now.

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by raineycd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: see anything wrong in this data log file?