996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon Fibre Roof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Carbon Fibre Roof

How much weight does this save please & rough estimate of labor involved ??

Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
U will save between25-30 lbs and I would guess the cost to do it right at about 10k.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Joe was it you that had a sunroof blow out at the mile? If so can I get more details
Rich I picked up a CF piece that fit in sunroof spot and closes it up, aka sunroof delete. Got lucky and found a gt3 headliner. I wonder if this will hold at 200

Old 12-12-2010, 11:20 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Plus the safety when going 200 mph plus
R

Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
I don't have a girlie sunroof, that's why I have a tuned 430 Spider, where to get a Carbon replacement roof I guess it needs just to be 996 specific, not for a Turbo ?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
GMG has them im sure other places too.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:01 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Blockhed
Joe was it you that had a sunroof blow out at the mile? If so can I get more details
Rich I picked up a CF piece that fit in sunroof spot and closes it up, aka sunroof delete. Got lucky and found a gt3 headliner. I wonder if this will hold at 200
Yes,the suction on the roof at 230mph was so great that it bent the tabs on the sunroof panel where it is bolted to the track,leaving the roof with a half inch gap between the roof and sunroof panel

Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
You'll save around 45 lbs depending on which type you get. Getty makes some that are 8 lbs.

The labor will be the biggest part of the job, but that's because you have to remove the windshield and rear glass to get it out. Unless you have a crazy labor rate and someone who works extremely slow, it shouldn't be more than 10-20 hours shop time ($1200-$2400) + paying someone to take out/put in the glass. And those shop hours are being generous. I imagine closer to 5k than 10k.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
You'll save around 45 lbs depending on which type you get. Getty makes some that are 8 lbs.

The labor will be the biggest part of the job, but that's because you have to remove the windshield and rear glass to get it out. Unless you have a crazy labor rate and someone who works extremely slow, it shouldn't be more than 10-20 hours shop time ($1200-$2400) + paying someone to take out/put in the glass. And those shop hours are being generous. I imagine closer to 5k than 10k.
don't forget the interior......to remove the interior ( headliner,a,b,c, pillar trim,seats)correctly and reinstall it correctly it will take more than 10-20 hrs to do the job right.If you want to do it any old way and not replace every clip that breaks(trust me they will break )and have some rattles here and there you can save some money.If it has to be like new you will spend closer to 10k.The GT3 headliner retails over 1100 just by itself .Count on buying a new windshield too because i was told by a reputable glass guy that half of them will break when they try to remove them.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 PM
also it is not safer to have a carbon roof panel on any kind of street car especially without a cage.Cf breaks like glass and in a roll over your hands can become pinned between the roof structure and the ground.Any racing association will require the driver to wear hand restraints in a car with a CF roof panel.Unless it is a full racecar my advice would be to go with a factory GT2 panel which is only a few pounds more.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joetwint
don't forget the interior......to remove the interior ( headliner,a,b,c, pillar trim,seats)correctly and reinstall it correctly it will take more than 10-20 hrs to do the job right.If you want to do it any old way and not replace every clip that breaks(trust me they will break )and have some rattles here and there you can save some money.If it has to be like new you will spend closer to 10k.The GT3 headliner retails over 1100 just by itself .Count on buying a new windshield too because i was told by a reputable glass guy that half of them will break when they try to remove them.
I'll give you a few hours as all of the ones I know of have been race cars, or close to it so much of that has not gone back in. But my quote is far less than 10k. I would just encourage anyone who's getting it done to do some research before they do it. I couldn't convince myself that 45 lbs was even worth a few grand nevertheless 10k for 25-30lbs.

With that being said, I'm not even going that far. A local mechanic that works at one of the dealerships makes sunroof conversion kits where you remove the cartridge and reuse the panel. It's epoxied and supported with lightweight beams. Saves 25 lbs and cost is minimal comparatively. Just waiting on my kit to be built.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:36 AM
JG GT500 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by joetwint
Any racing association will require the driver to wear hand restraints in a car with a CF roof panel.
Interesting, so anyone with a 2008+ M3 that comes standard with Carbon roof panel has to wear hand restraints at a track event?

How much would the panel itself cost for a 996T?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM
RCH
Banned
thnaks Guys as I fortunately don't have a sunroof I won't be doing that then, even the OEM Lexan rear window seems to cost about $4K with labor included and that doesn't even save much weight !

Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
It's super rare to get the 996TT without a sunroof from the factory, they seem to be speical orders and are build on the same line as the GT2 bodies (I've heard)....Also from what I understand is that you cannot get a 997TT without a sunroof at all? :dunno:

Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
http://www.gt-racing.com/
rich try this place

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fibre Roof