996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help...coolant hose rupture?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
swordsman is infamous around these parts
Need help...coolant hose rupture?

I was wondering if any of you guys have had this happend to your car before: couple days ago I was driving on the freeway and the coolant hose broke off and coolant splattered all over my rear decklid, then smoke started coming out and I immediately pulled over and turned off the engine. I only drove the car for about 20 min before this happened, the temperature was cool and I wasn't doing any boosting either. The dealer basically said that it was a freak accident? They replaced the hose and added a reservoir to help preventing the samething from happening again. They also mentioned it may have something to do with all the modification I've done with my car, I only have the stage 3 ECU upgrade with the usual stuff like the k24 turbos, GT2 intercoolers, air filter, diverter valve...and a 3rd intercooler from Gemballa. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Peter

Old 03-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Garey Cooper is infamous around these parts
I haven't heard of this happening before, at least not in 886TT's. It does happen occaisionally with water cooled cars in general. I can't believe it has to do with your modifications either. They don't effect the water pressurisation so far as I can understand.

Old 03-11-2005, 09:28 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
it was just probably the hose, old hose or a loose clamp that did it...

Old 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys...hopefully it was just a freak accident, I'm picking up the car this afternoon and going for a test drive immediately!

Old 03-11-2005, 11:05 AM
joekimdds is infamous around these parts
actually...the same thing happened to me....just happened to be at the dealership asking a different question...they noticed that the coolant hose was busted or loose and splattered all over the engine...took them 3 days to replace all the hoses and belts...(they felt the fluids might corrode the rubbers) and engine cleaned it...

Old 03-11-2005, 11:11 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Swordsman,
I want to offer a different opinion. Your car has the Gemballa nose on it. I am not sure if your bodyshop tilted your radiator forward (aka GT2 style) in the process of installing the nose. Did they?? If so, the feed and return hoses for the radiator may be kinked as they must make a fairly sharp bend to connect to the newly sloped radiator inlet and outlet. That said, if it is sloped, and the hoses are kinked (like when you kink a water hose to stop the water from flowing) the pressure behind the kink may be higher than normal. This could lead to premature release or rupture of a hose elsewhere.

Can you please post a picture of the hose that ruptured so the rest of us can check ours??? It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by KPV
Swordsman,
I want to offer a different opinion. Your car has the Gemballa nose on it. I am not sure if your bodyshop tilted your radiator forward (aka GT2 style) in the process of installing the nose. Did they?? If so, the feed and return hoses for the radiator may be kinked as they must make a fairly sharp bend to connect to the newly sloped radiator inlet and outlet. That said, if it is sloped, and the hoses are kinked (like when you kink a water hose to stop the water from flowing) the pressure behind the kink may be higher than normal. This could lead to premature release or rupture of a hose elsewhere.

Can you please post a picture of the hose that ruptured so the rest of us can check ours??? It would be greatly appreciated.

Ken,
Thanks for the input. Checked with the shop and the radiator was not touched when installing the Gemballa nose. I picked up the car from the dealer this afternoon and spoke with the technician, he indicated that it was just a fitment problem, the coolant hose came off because it was not properly secured through the clamp and the Q-ring (the hose was not kinked). They replaced the parts with brand new hose, clamp, and Q-ring...all under warranty too consider the car is pretty heavily modified. He also said that the rupture had nothing to do with the modification in my car...he even complimented that my set-up was simple & clean!

Peter

Old 03-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by joekimdds
actually...the same thing happened to me....just happened to be at the dealership asking a different question...they noticed that the coolant hose was busted or loose and splattered all over the engine...took them 3 days to replace all the hoses and belts...(they felt the fluids might corrode the rubbers) and engine cleaned it...

Did the dealer tell you what was the cause for the coolant hose to come loose?

And you're pretty lucky that your car didn't start smoking on your way to the dealer as you were basically running without the coolant fluid...that's exactly what happened to me the other day!