996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

new guage pod. your opinions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Reminds me of the Civic's I see out there all the time.

Sorry...please don't be offended...

T

Old 03-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
I like the concept... needs better-executed wrapping... and definitely needs better gauge-suite (Defi, HKS).

I think with the right gauge suite and nice alcantara/leather wrapping, it will look right at home in my Porsche.

Functionally, the A-pillar is one of the best places for gauges. A boost gauge below the radio for real-time monitoring is practically useless.

These pix are from a long time ago, but all the info I needed were close to line-of-sight on the a-pillar well within peripheral vision and minimized eye-refocusing. I'd definitely recommend a gauge setup that includes peak/hold and playback. Very useful.

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-11-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
If I was inclined to mod the interior of my car, which I'm not, I would definately start with an A pillar mounted boost gauge. I have a boost gauge mounted on the A pillar in my suburban and it seems to be a very user friendly location (plus I think it looks cool). Last time I did a high speed run in my car, I found it difficult to take my eyes off the road to check the speedometer, let alone something in the center console.

Mike

Old 03-11-2005, 05:46 AM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
the only issue I have is with the leather wrapping. That can be improved easily with a different stitch pattern, that matches the factory job.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
It looks like it belongs on a car in a high school parking lot...

Old 03-11-2005, 09:22 AM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is infamous around these parts
ssorry but not on a porsche

Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned
If you want functional real-time monitoring of gauges, the only places available are the a-pillars, top-of-dash, hood, HUD, or mickey-mouse style on top of the gauge pod. Basically, a location that requires minimal deviation and refocusing from line-of-sight.

Locating them on the center console is aesthetically pleasing, but not good for real-time monitoring. The last thing you want to be doing when traveling at deep triple digit speeds is to have your vision redirected and refocused to a point down low in the cockpit.

So... it's simply a question of aesthetics vs. function.

And if the first application of an a-pillar pod was conceived in a Zonda or Porsche, I think everyone would be applauding the "innovation".

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-11-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:08 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by StephenTi
If you want functional real-time monitoring of gauges, the only places available are the a-pillars, top-of-dash, hood, HUD, or mickey-mouse style on top of the gauge pod. Basically, a location that requires minimal deviation and refocusing from line-of-sight.

Locating them on the center console is aesthetically pleasing, but not good for real-time monitoring. The last thing you want to be doing when traveling at deep triple digit speeds is to have your vision redirected and refocused to a point down low in the cockpit.

And if the first application of an a-pillar pod was conceived in a Zonda or Porsche, I think everyone would be applauding the "innovation".
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY STEPHEN...

a pillars are great for real time monitoring.. u only need to glance a sec ... to see what boost your runnng etc...

i like the a pillars i might jock it later on... i thinkit just need better leather rapping and gauges..

allen what size are they 60mm or 52mm?

P.S. STEPHEN YOUR MKIV LOOKS BAD *** ... I TOO AM A FORMER SUPRA OWNER MK3 THOUGH.. DID U USE TO POST AT SUPRAFORUMS? WERE U EVER A PART OF TO4R.COM?

COOLL BADASS SUPRA TURBO.. I WANNA GET ONE SOMEDAY, GREAT CAR TO THRASH AROUND WITH AND CAN HANDLES GOOBS OF BOOST & POWER

Last edited by 02barebones996; 03-11-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Allan@SpeedG is infamous around these parts
2" guages

Old 03-11-2005, 12:56 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
I want Heads Up Display or LCD glasses that show everything in a tidy layout.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
TT993 is infamous around these parts
Use some japanese gauges like Defi, HKS, Greddy not american companies. Autometer and the like are for camaros and mustangs.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned
Originally posted by 02barebones996
MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY STEPHEN...

a pillars are great for real time monitoring.. u only need to glance a sec ... to see what boost your runnng etc...

i like the a pillars i might jock it later on... i thinkit just need better leather rapping and gauges..

allen what size are they 60mm or 52mm?

P.S. STEPHEN YOUR MKIV LOOKS BAD *** ... I TOO AM A FORMER SUPRA OWNER MK3 THOUGH.. DID U USE TO POST AT SUPRAFORUMS? WERE U EVER A PART OF TO4R.COM?

COOLL BADASS SUPRA TURBO.. I WANNA GET ONE SOMEDAY, GREAT CAR TO THRASH AROUND WITH AND CAN HANDLES GOOBS OF BOOST & POWER
Thanks for the kind words.

Nils was nice enough to invite me right before T04R went online.. even sent me a t-shirt. Don't really know them personally, but really cool guys.

And while it's been a long time, I think my supraforum handle was trbomx5.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
Originally posted by StephenTi

I guess too each his own. The reason Porsche did not conceive it is because it's not necessary in road cars or road racing cars. I've spent more than an average amount of time in track and full race cars, I have not seen any need for an "a-pillar pod" nor have I been a serious track/road car that had one. I'd rather have the smallest a-pillar possible (for vision) than to know what my boost is... If I have an abnormal reading, I have a very bright red light that comes on. That alerts me to check the gauges at the next opportunity. Unless I have a light, the only thing I look at is tach, and oil temp (on the straights), and the gas gauge when the motor starts cutting out I cannot imagine going around a left hand sweeper or turn and having to try to see around that thing, especially if I'm wearing a 5 point harness...

I also disagree with your assessment that the last thing you want to be doing when traveling at "deep triple digit speeds" is to have your vision redirected... The most relaxing point on a road course is on long straights when you are traveling at triple digit speeds. That's when I play with the lap timer, mess with the mirrors, pick my nose, etc...

Is it something that is required in drag racing? I'm not slamming anyone, I don't know...

Thanks

Roy

Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Banned
I've done a lot of my own tuning of cars, and when you are tweaking the setup, gauges are vital in monitoring the state of tune, especially after changes are made. Something as simply as dialing in boost requires a vigilant eye on the boost gauge pushing the car. Warning lights are great for a single-data-point, but pretty useless if you want to monitor. I've only had two cars that had a-pillar gauges, and neither posed a visibility issue. I guess my opinion for a functional gauge suite stems from my experience as both an end-user as well as a tuner enthusiast.

And if having gauges on the a-pillar is tacky, as some have voiced, imagine their response to a 996T of gauges and blinking warning lights!

To each his own... again, I'm not arguing that the a-pillar setup is the best setup for gauge installation from an aesthetic standpoint or that it belongs in our car... BUT, if you want functional and real-time monitoring, and don't want to sacrafice your radio/hvac controls, your choices are very limited, and given those restraints, the a-pillar may be the most functional solution. I've seen some very nice custom a-pillar installs that'd look right at home in a Zonda.

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-11-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
Originally posted by TT993
Use some japanese gauges like Defi, HKS, Greddy not american companies. Autometer and the like are for camaros and mustangs.
As far as I know, Defi, HKS and Greddy do not offer wideband air fuel gauges (at least not when I shopped them six months ago). AEM offers a wideband air fuel gauge. IMHO, wideband is essential.

Craig

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: new guage pod. your opinions please