996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

new guage pod. your opinions please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned
StephenTi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by trak blaster
It's more of a Bling thing anyway, you don't see guages like this on track cars, there always mounted in the dash where you can just glance down to view them. These seem like somebody with this level of a car is trying too hard to draw attention, like look what I have. Sometimes less is more, a little more professional look would be in the center console area.
Considering that most of us only track occassionally, mounting them on the dash where our RADIO and HVAC controls are would be rediculous. For a lot of us, it has nothing to do with drawing attention, but more to do with real-time monitoring of vitals such as boost, af, and egt on the fly. Why don't you take a careful read at past posts... do I think they make the interior "look" better, hell no... but it's probably the most functional and practical solution for real-time monitoring.

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-12-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:28 PM
trak blaster is infamous around these parts
Honestly if you have your car reflashed correctly you shouldn't be worrying about EGT, CHT, A/F ratio all the time. On older cars it's more important, on a 996TT you can't adjust the A/F anyway unless your crazy enough to have an adjustable wideband and want to mess with it while your driving...

Whats wrong with the stock digital guage, maybe it's off 0.1 or so but does it matter that much. If your A/F is at 12.2 at WOT what are you going to do different in driiving versus if it's at 12.8???

You really don't need these to drive on the street or the track.

Seems it's more of the Ricer wanta be 1/4 milers that started the trend, would be awful to see the P-car guys follow suit.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Banned
toddstacky is infamous around these parts
If it was my Turbo I wouldn't want to have that A-pillar set-up and pull up to a nice hotel or restaurant.

Something about it cheapens the look of the car.

Would look great in a Supra though!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned
Originally posted by trak blaster
Honestly if you have your car reflashed correctly you shouldn't be worrying about EGT, CHT, A/F ratio all the time. On older cars it's more important, on a 996TT you can't adjust the A/F anyway unless your crazy enough to have an adjustable wideband and want to mess with it while your driving...

Whats wrong with the stock digital guage, maybe it's off 0.1 or so but does it matter that much. If your A/F is at 12.2 at WOT what are you going to do different in driiving versus if it's at 12.8???

You really don't need these to drive on the street or the track.

Seems it's more of the Ricer wanta be 1/4 milers that started the trend, would be awful to see the P-car guys follow suit.
Just because YOU don't know that to do with the incoming date, it doesn't mean others don't! I never said the setup was good for everyone... BUT, IF YOU WANT REAL TIME MONITORING OF VITALS IN YOUR STREET DRIVEN 996T, THE A-PILLAR IS PROBABLY THE BEST PLACE FOR IT. Since you OBVIOUSLY don't fall in that catagory, you don't have to worry about what others want gauges for... to judge others for wanting something that's functional for them because you don't have an use for it is simply ignorant...

Old 03-12-2005, 05:25 PM
trak blaster is infamous around these parts
OK Craig, I mean Stephen...

1.2 Bar, EGT=1280, CHT=650, A/F=11.8

Now what? Lift or Pinch?

No time, have to change the Kenny G CD.

Old 03-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Banned
You're an idiot, Trak Blaster... there's a few of us who are constantly refining our setups with our programmers. I know at times, I wished for a nice set of gauge suite in my car to help me keep an eye as to what's going on... when to shut down... what the car was doing at a given symptom... etc.

I datalog my 996T regularly and swap data with fellow members as well as sending the files out to get my ECU fine-tuned. I've tuned my own ECU, done turbo swaps, installed coilovers and roll bars, dyno-tuned, spec'd out custom turbo setups, road-race, and everything else in between short of a motor-rebuild... so, I speak from experience... it's pretty obvious you're speaking out of your ***.

I'm done with this dialog. There're plenty of good people and good topics on this forum, and 6speeders a tight bunch. I'm not going to waste anymore forum space with an ignorant and pathetic 5-post troll like you.

Last edited by StephenTi; 03-12-2005 at 05:50 PM.