996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Glacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the rough
I might be very interested. Im just down in Calgary. Can you send or post some pictures?
garrett@b737.ca

Originally Posted by supersurfr
I'm not sure were you live in Canada, but if in the edmonton area, I have
4 X 18" Rims 8" fronts and 11" rears wheel offset 8/50 and 11/45.
With Hankook Icebears Front 225/40R18 ,rear 265/35R18. These tires have less than 1000 Km. Contact if you have an interest

Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I'd just worry about bead separation in hard cornering with these since they're the absolute minimum on an 11" rim. But that's tempting since I drive my Turbo year-round and I'd hate to buy another set of rims. I already have the stock 18" GT3 rims in my garage, plus 19" HRE's on my car.
My tire guy is the best - he said 275 was no problem 265 would not go on the stock rims. I wouldn't track it like this, but it's fine for city driving.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
I have Blizzak LM60 in 275 and 225. They fit the OE 11" wheels fine and I still have them in stock. Please give me a call if interested.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
My tire guy is the best - he said 275 was no problem 265 would not go on the stock rims. I wouldn't track it like this, but it's fine for city driving.
Yeah I definitely wouldn't go with 265 on these rims. I used to run 265 on my C4 10" rims, but I never would on 11" rims as on my Turbo.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
ybslow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Slider

I'm just up in Duncan. Who do you get your tires from in Victoria?

What time of year do you put your winter tires on and then take them off again?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I usually go with 1010tires.com. They are in Richmond so tires usually arrive the next day.

I watch the weather reports and when they say: "It's going to snow tomorrow", I put the snow tires on. (I did that about a month ago.)

In February, I'll wait until the temperature has been 5 to 10 degrees for a few weeks and then I'll switch back. If a freak storm is forecast, later I can always put the snows back on. These tires are great in the rain too though.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
If you go with 275's in the back, shouldn't you change the front size as well? Those would represent a 1/2" difference in diameter front to rear regardless if you go with a 35 or 30 profile. I can't imagine that is good for the AWD system.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
If you go with 275's in the back, shouldn't you change the front size as well? Those would represent a 1/2" difference in diameter front to rear regardless if you go with a 35 or 30 profile. I can't imagine that is good for the AWD system.
That's why I went with 235 in the front - it keeps the diameter the correct size.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
nj911skr is infamous around these parts
I went with the Pirelli 240 Sottozero Serie II in 225/45/18 and 295/35/18 (slightly taller than stock) on the factory 8 and 11 inch wheels. Still have to put them on but looking forward to using the Turbo through the winter.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a 265 stretched improperly on an 11" wheel. It looks goofy and isn't safe.

Name:  265winteronan11wheel-2.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  77.3 KB

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 PM
RickyN F355 is infamous around these partsRickyN F355 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nikolas
what impact wld it have on AWD? not sure i follow that.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RickyN F355
what impact wld it have on AWD? not sure i follow that.
I was told it causes the blinker fluid reservoir to drain into the headlight.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,In regards to tire diameter and AWD......I have put around 20,000 miles on 285/35 18[25.9 dia.] rears and 235/40/18[25.4dia.] with out a problem.I have had the car on the AWD dyno many times,drove to EPL in CT. from Chicago,gone 180mph numerous times with no problems, with that .5 inch difference, with the AWD.The only thing that I have noticed ,is under hard acceleration on slightly uneven surfaces that my PSM light will come on.By the way, those were Michelin Pilot A/S Plus tires.I am not affraid to say this ,that I am not a road racer with this type of car,just a straight line acceleration junkie...lol...I was willing to give up a little cornering grip for being able to enjoy my car all yr. around with a better ride and more pot hole protection......Plus,I do not have to change tires/rims every season for my driving needs....Yes,I know that this is not a Porsche way of things.....Happy Holidays to all.......

Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 AM
The issue with trying to maintain the same diameter front and back is to reduce the chance that the front diff will get trashed. There are other threads where this is explained in detail. The destruction is a slow process and the fact that someone has not had a problem yet does not mean that damage is not being done.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Yes maybe if it is' way out' of wack with tire diameters.From what I have read and saw here in the forums is mostly' theory' talked about AND not proven in real world.I have talked and spent alot of time with real world Porsche mechanics,since I have owned 5 Porsches in my life time,and none have told me they have saw a failure due to a variation of my diameters.....Maybe most owners will never put those miles on there cars,like I have with this .5 inch difference, or dyno there cars,or do 180mph numerous times to see.....Like I have,,,especially with the power I have over stock which should not help that situation if it were true......All I am doing is passing on my REAL world experience to help others decide.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Winter Tires?