996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Glacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nj911skr
I went with the Pirelli 240 Sottozero Serie II in 225/45/18 and 295/35/18 (slightly taller than stock) on the factory 8 and 11 inch wheels. Still have to put them on but looking forward to using the Turbo through the winter.
I think this is the way I am going to go. The 225/45's in the front are 26.0" and the 295/35's in the rear are 26.1". That 0.1" difference is the same difference as the stock tires.
Thanks to everyone for their input!!
g

Old 12-21-2010, 10:38 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,I have heard of others running the 245/40/18 fronts with those size rears.....
but I do not know if they would clear or if they make it in your brand/type of tire.......Good Luck

Old 12-21-2010, 10:39 PM
GT2 Mike has a spectacular aura aboutGT2 Mike has a spectacular aura about
Any of you guys running studded tires ?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Glacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the roughGlacier is a jewel in the rough
Studded tires are kinda useless unless you are so far north that they don't pave the roads. I have used them before and they are great on ice, but as soon as the road is plowed and you are back on pavement, they are really slippery!!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Glacier
Studded tires are kinda useless unless you are so far north that they don't pave the roads. I have used them before and they are great on ice, but as soon as the road is plowed and you are back on pavement, they are really slippery!!
I would generally agree, but not when you're dealing with high altitudes. The snow here is icier than anything I've seen before, and I spent almost 20 years driving all of the Northeast and thought studs were worthless. In the icy snow here in the high mountains of CO, studs help.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Yes maybe if it is' way out' of wack with tire diameters.From what I have read and saw here in the forums is mostly' theory' talked about AND not proven in real world.I have talked and spent alot of time with real world Porsche mechanics,since I have owned 5 Porsches in my life time,and none have told me they have saw a failure due to a variation of my diameters.....Maybe most owners will never put those miles on there cars,like I have with this .5 inch difference, or dyno there cars,or do 180mph numerous times to see.....Like I have,,,especially with the power I have over stock which should not help that situation if it were true......All I am doing is passing on my REAL world experience to help others decide.........
The problem is you are dealing with an unforgiving material - metal. Overtime it will affect things when gear teath are spinning at opposing forces. A 1/2 inch is not much so the time for overall damage will be longer. Since you have so many miles, it may be that 1/2" difference is close to OK. Personally I wouldn't do it. I have had AWD cars for years. I have heard many stories, especially with BMW's and staggerred sets where the drivetrain suffered from this very same issue.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:54 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,Thank You for your input.....Theroy,real life,not much difference,,,,Who knows?? We all have to weigh out are info and then decide what to do.Thats what I did , 'IF' the AWD goes bad,atleast I had saved money on tire swaps and pot hole damage plus a smoother ride with that size........lol.......Anyways everything still looks good and 'Hopefully' I will never put enough miles on it to make it happen,if it does.....If I do ,you will be the first to know.......Happy Holidays......

Old 12-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by johnspeed
HI,Thank You for your input.....Theroy,real life,not much difference,,,,Who knows?? We all have to weigh out are info and then decide what to do.Thats what I did , 'IF' the AWD goes bad,atleast I had saved money on tire swaps and pot hole damage plus a smoother ride with that size........lol.......Anyways everything still looks good and 'Hopefully' I will never put enough miles on it to make it happen,if it does.....If I do ,you will be the first to know.......Happy Holidays......
That's why sites like this are so great. It is always great to hear from people doing things differently and getting their feedback.

All the best and enjoy the Christmas holiday!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Pot hole damage is the least of your worries as far as I'm concerned. I've heard people quote that for over 10 years of Porsche ownership, but yet to hear of anything substantial. Plus if you've got the money to afford/drive a car like this in the winter, that's a small expense.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM
HI,I guess you did not read the rest of 'MY' reasons to pick my tire combo.To each there own....As far as your comment goes,I can 'afford' to take the chance to see if the AWD fails,which it has not and maybe will not fail in my ownership....lol.....Maybe you can not take that chance.....Like I said to each there own,I am only sharing my info to help others....Happy Holidays........

Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Suggest you ask Tire Rack a board sponsor, as I did I have the Dunlops which are 265 on the rear 11 OEM inch wide *18 inch wheels, I thought they would be too narrow but they are really the best choice

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RichardCH
Suggest you ask Tire Rack a board sponsor, as I did I have the Dunlops which are 265 on the rear 11 OEM inch wide *18 inch wheels, I thought they would be too narrow but they are really the best choice
265 is not the correct choice. 275 is. 265's are not designed to be "pulled" that far out to be put on an 11" wheel. The result over time is interior stress to the shoulder area of the tire. It creates undo stress and eventually cracking. I have seen 265's come off with all kinds of cracking inside the tire as a result of the stress. 275 is a better, more relaxed fit, AND protects the rim too. The OD difference to a 225/40 is 2%, which is fine.

I have been here for 6 years now, and for all 6 of them I have gone through this every winter with you guys. DON'T put a 265 on an 11" wheel.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
I still maintain the right answer is to buy winter wheels.

I have 225-40/18 on 18x8 wheels.
I have 265-35/18 on 18x10 wheels.

Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D on Sport Edition Cup 4 wheels.

Entire package $1,666 shipped from Tirerack.

Worth EVERY penny.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:24 PM
RickyN F355 is infamous around these partsRickyN F355 is infamous around these parts
wait so 265 on the stock rims is NOT right? does anyone make a 275 snow tire?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
If you read back, you'll see that's what I'm using - Hankook Icebear 275 rear 235 front.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Winter Tires?