996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Your thoughts on driver side race seat w/stock pass. seat?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:06 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
1) look like a tool
2) most PCA clubs must have equal seating/restraints on both sides
3) look like a tool
Wow... you added ZERO value vs. what was already posted in the thread, but I guess 1/100 of my post did ask for an opinion so thanks for sharing.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
GT2 Mike has a spectacular aura aboutGT2 Mike has a spectacular aura about
I love the GT3's !

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
oem 996 gt3 seats are not comfotable period! im 6.1 and 180lbs and i dont fit in them well. the shoulders are too narrow and the seat is positioned in a way that makes you sit very forward almost like your hovering over the steering wheel

another issue with them is when you shift your arm hits the bolster

there a bad design! although i will say they look great and are fantastic quality

not only that they give an amazing amount of support

here is the deal! just like a suit it has to feel right.. these seats just dont feel right on me.

the replica's that rottec sells have a wider area for your shoulders and are comfortable..

the 997gt2 seats are great as they recline, but there not really bucket seats.. the support just is not there.. but they look badass

Last edited by porka; 12-21-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
Not sure about that side helmet support on the street. Would it restrict your vision?

I have the GT3 seats, and like them very much. You should definitely install seat back supports to the roll bar. It's dangerous to not have them in the event of rear impact, as your spine can hit the bar.

The install is pretty easy. I have a web page with pics when you get around to doing it.

Jon

If you have any type of a cage or roll bar, you shouldn't drive without a helmet and use at least a four point harness at all times. Roll bars on strictly street cars are overkill and may end up killing you.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
If you have any type of a cage or roll bar, you shouldn't drive without a helmet and use at least a four point harness at all times. Roll bars on strictly street cars are overkill and may end up killing you.
A roll cage does put a lot of things near the driver that could be hit in an accident, and also makes access extremely difficult. I would definitely agree that they shouldn't be used on a street car.

OTOH, a roll bar is all behind the driver. The upper bar should be covered with foam. Four point harnesses should NEVER be worn anywhere. A sub belt is required to make the shoulder harnesses work, so a 5-point or 6-point is required. However, they restrict motion too much to be worn safely on the street. You just can't lean forward to look around a corner, for example. Keep the stock 3-point belt for street driving.

Jon

Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
I don't know if I agree with that when it comes to a roll bar, Porsche has been putting rolls bars in cars from the factory (at least as an option) for quite some time now. In order for a roll bar like Tequipment or GMG or something to hit your head, your head would not only have to go up or sideways , but significantly backwards.

If that's happening I think you have bigger worries than the roll bar because that's not going to happen in any ordeal where your wheels are still on the ground. And in the event that they aren't, the risk is far outweighed by the reward of them keeping your complete roof from collapsing.

Plus driving on the street in a car with a helmet on, I mean, really, has anyone done that?

Old 12-22-2010, 06:57 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
some good info here, I am starting to look as well but I will do both thinking it would look really odd only doing 1 seat. I am at the point on the track of having a hard time staying in the seat. One thing I have been doing and strongly recommend is to def sit in them and try them out, I found some nice looking seats are very tight for wider shoulder people.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:24 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
ok guys let me share some information on this topic as a racer and an instructor - we've discussed with students and racers at events be they DE or race weekends.

If you have a cage you should have race seats with restraints, min of 5 points, preferably 6 pts (dual anti-submarine belts). 4 pt harnesses are acceptable by some groups depending on the rest of the hardware in the car, main point at Tech inspection is the angle of the shoulder straps to the anchors.

If you are in a street only car, and you have have race seats you must have a bar and properly installed harness. This is becuase in the event of rollover you want the roof structure to NOT cave in your head because racing shells ARE NOT COLLAPSABLE. in a street car the factory seats are designed to COLLAPSE, as such street cars equipped with a factory seat on track can be with or without rollbar. BUT if a street car has a racing shell, then it requires a rigid anti-buckling support structure such as a roll bar or better yet a roll cage (min of 6 pts.)

Hope this helps...it's always nice have the feeling that your adequetly protected and safe while riding in the right seat

Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 AM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sunir
ok guys let me share some information on this topic as a racer and an instructor - we've discussed with students and racers at events be they DE or race weekends.

If you have a cage you should have race seats with restraints, min of 5 points, preferably 6 pts (dual anti-submarine belts). 4 pt harnesses are acceptable by some groups depending on the rest of the hardware in the car, main point at Tech inspection is the angle of the shoulder straps to the anchors.

If you are in a street only car, and you have have race seats you must have a bar and properly installed harness. This is becuase in the event of rollover you want the roof structure to NOT cave in your head because racing shells ARE NOT COLLAPSABLE. in a street car the factory seats are designed to COLLAPSE, as such street cars equipped with a factory seat on track can be with or without rollbar. BUT if a street car has a racing shell, then it requires a rigid anti-buckling support structure such as a roll bar or better yet a roll cage (min of 6 pts.)

Hope this helps...it's always nice have the feeling that your adequetly protected and safe while riding in the right seat
Thanks for the info Sunir.