996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Finally got my 996 TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 AM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Finally got my 996 TT

I finally took delivery of my bone stock 01 996TT on monday from Lamborghini Houston. Thanks to Raj at Lamborghini, i got a very clean seal grey 25K on clock bone stock,6 speed car on monday.

I am happy to say that it performs well in almost every aspect. It is a bit too quite though, it loses it oomph up top, and the clutch actuator required replacement.

I am already starting the search for more power and I am excited about the prospect of a reliable 700hp, of course thats what i have been reading on 6speed.

Should I go stage by stage? Please chime in and give me some recommendations as to how I should approaches this with a reasonable budget in mind. Since I have 2 kids in private school and the wife will kill me. LOL!

Merry Christmas everyone!!! May God keep you and your family safe and happy.

Attached Images    

Last edited by turtle n hare; 12-19-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
Congrats Andy. It won't be long before the modding bug hits especially after a few mexico cruises.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 AM
996TTFred is infamous around these parts
Great looking Turbo Andy, and a great color I might add. My seal gray Turbo started with a few mods and I have been adding more for the past year. Exhaust and flash is next.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:48 AM
RickyN F355 is infamous around these partsRickyN F355 is infamous around these parts
i did EP2 loud and EPL flash last year...going with alpa 3076s this year...if u want the 700 hp just go for it...dont do stages...

enjoy it!

Old 12-19-2010, 08:01 AM
h1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud ofh1sp has much to be proud of
2 kids in private school?
maybe pick up some newer turbo wheels and the rest I would Leave it bone stock. Its a nice lookin ride.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
Congrats on your purchase. You signature shows you have a 964 as well, love those!

If you KNOW you are going to end up at 700, just do it all at once don't stage it in.

My plan is to keep mine stock and drive it for 10 years and 200k. We'll see how that pans out The mod bug is contagious.

Personally, I would want to sample a 700 hp car before I went that direction. There are lots of built turbos in the Houston area, maybe you could catch a ride with one of them.

Before I did anything in the engine bay (outside of a tune, pipe and airbox), I'd upgrade the suspension.

Enjoy.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
durango is correct when i1st drove my 01 i was very displeased , as it felt like i was driveing a 1949 fruit truck.... my previous p car was 86 turbo that felt like a porsche, get a set of pss10 or 9s you will love then and you can adjust the height....
my 1st thoughts are to get the air in and out , that sez exhaust,airbox and correct pipeing. take your time and enjoy, it's a long fun road to the correct high hp

Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Dr Kans is infamous around these parts
Yahoo !!!
Great purchase. I too just received my 2003 Turbo this week, what a hoot.
My did come with some aftermarket upgrades in power and they are totally worth it. It is so much more fun than the staocker(too quiet and looses power.
I few minor upgrades are a must. New metal diverter vavles, and aftermarket ehaust and then get one of the many after market tuners to put it on the computers and raise the boost to 1.0bar. These few things will really wake up your car and can be done fairly inexpensiely !
A big surprise so far has been how these mods help my gas milage. Of coarse we don't buy Porsche for thier milage ,but iIam getting 40mpg on the hightway and 32mpg overall. Is that crazy or what?
David

Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Congrats.

The whole "stage" thing is a marketing tactic... it makes tuners more money, it gives buyers a feeling that the "package" is somehow "balanced" or "engineered" and allows buyers that don't do their research to rely on a '1,2,3 - count on one hand' path to take.

If you are going to do you power mods in two steps, then make sure your first step will be adequate for the second. Lets say you will do an exhaust and flash right away, maybe diverers...then a set of turbos and intercooler later once you've squirreled away the $$... so buy a flash from a vendor that will (perhaps) upgrade your flash for free if you buy the turbos from him...buy a high performance exhaust that will handle the flow rates and not throw codes.

Who is doing your work? You should choose a tuner/vendor based on which one will work best with your local support- if they are an evoms shop, hard to say "I want you to install EPL or UMW".. you can do it, but when S happens, they'll be pointing fingers.

I get 40mpg too. In freefall!

A

Old 12-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Dr Kans is infamous around these parts
I'm sure the great gas milage is due to my exhaust, it is really free flowing( and loud ) ! Plus the superior tuning to match.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Congrats on the purchase, great looking car.

Originally Posted by Dr Kans
A big surprise so far has been how these mods help my gas milage. Of coarse we don't buy Porsche for thier milage ,but iIam getting 40mpg on the hightway and 32mpg overall. Is that crazy or what?
David
There's got to be something wrong with the milage calculator.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:04 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Thanks Paul, it has been along time coming. I was weighing it between a viper and tt. the back seats finally one in and of course all the modified fast 996TT's out there came in to play.

Oh ill be ready for you and jitsu and powell. Oh wait i have a budget.

Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
Congrats Andy. It won't be long before the modding bug hits especially after a few mexico cruises.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks A bunch!! I would say, that this is the best color! its a rare color according Eclou because it was made only a few years.

I am saving my pennies now because i will just go ***** out, of course with the guidance of many here. After watching Divexxtreme in Houston and Supersnake leave my vette like it was not moving

Merry Christmas to you and the family!!

Originally Posted by 996TTFred
Great looking Turbo Andy, and a great color I might add. My seal gray Turbo started with a few mods and I have been adding more for the past year. Exhaust and flash is next.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM
what does the ep2 loud stand for and was does the epl flash stand for. Sorry for my ignorance. what was your gain with the loud and flash? i am hopeful to save and work overtime and take call so i gain reduce the time i have to leave the 996tt in stock form.

Originally Posted by RickyN F355
i did EP2 loud and EPL flash last year...going with alpa 3076s this year...if u want the 700 hp just go for it...dont do stages...

enjoy it!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Patrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant future
My '01 seal gray was totally stock when I bought it with 38K miles. It started out as "just a flash and exhaust". As you can see by my sig, it got out of hand.
These forum guys all laughed when I said that was all I planned to do... They are a lot smarter than you think with years experience.
If you want to see how bad it can get, just go to my thread titled "just bought an '01 996tt". I agree that if you're going for 700 hp, start out with
that goal in mind and don't stage it.

Good luck and start out slowly!!

John

Last edited by Patrnflyr; 12-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got my 996 TT