996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help starting a Porsche tuning shop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:20 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Need help starting a Porsche tuning shop

I have been unhappy in my job and been thinking about what I can do for a job that would also include my passion cars. So I have been considering (early stages) starting a tuning shop. Specialize in Porsches but also offer tuning for Audi's, VW's, etc...

Can anyone give me some input as to the best way to go about this. I have been thinking of maybe affiliating with EVO or PES as an agent if they would be willing.

Any ideas of startup costs etc...?

I would have to hire a top mechanic for installs and would probably start out in a small leased space. I am in Michigan so I shouldn't compete with anyone else on this board! If I go through with this I will definately be a board sponsor Shank!

Any ideas, thoughts, products to carrry, etc... would be appreciated.

Thanks

ps: It would also be a way I could keep my Porsche as a project car for the tuning business!

Old 03-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Call Sharky at Akkurat.

Or buy them.

Good luck. Always fun pursuing your passion.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help starting a Porsche tuning shop

Originally posted by buddyg
I have been unhappy in my job and been thinking about what I can do for a job that would also include my passion cars. So I have been considering (early stages) starting a tuning shop. Specialize in Porsches but also offer tuning for Audi's, VW's, etc...

Can anyone give me some input as to the best way to go about this. I have been thinking of maybe affiliating with EVO or PES as an agent if they would be willing.

Any ideas of startup costs etc...?

I would have to hire a top mechanic for installs and would probably start out in a small leased space. I am in Michigan so I shouldn't compete with anyone else on this board! If I go through with this I will definately be a board sponsor Shank!

Any ideas, thoughts, products to carrry, etc... would be appreciated.

Thanks

ps: It would also be a way I could keep my Porsche as a project car for the tuning business!
I WISH I HAD THE ***** AND the $$$ to do something like this...

Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
911EVAN has a spectacular aura about911EVAN has a spectacular aura about
I think the company 9ff could use a good rep in the United States. The company itself has recieved quite a bit of press lately with some fantastic cars. They might be worth looking into!

Old 03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
phillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to beholdphillym5 is a splendid one to behold
buddyg,
That would be sick. We need a place here, forsure!
I have alot of connections here, so if i can help in anyway...be sure to let me know.

pm sent to you.

Old 03-11-2005, 02:17 PM
tuner is infamous around these parts
I work for parts!!!!!!!!!!
cheers
Bryan

Old 03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
mpwrmodena is infamous around these parts
Im actually will be opening one this june on Long Island. For the income and relative start up cost of a business its very cheap. It all depends on what brands and what you plan to provide. The differnce of Snap on tools, and craftsmen is about 10k for a machanics set. Also will you have an in house dyno? Pm me if you have any questions. Your biggest obsticle you will run into is finding a place that will rent to an automotive repair facility.
-Daniel

Old 03-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Porsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nicePorsche Tech is just really nice
Just know that if you intend on hiring good, factory trained techs, even if you have the money to pay (during start up you will definately need to pay sallery as volume will probably be too low to work off flat rate), just FINDING good Porsche Techs is a difficult thing. Trust me. Also, some factory techs do not bother to buy many semi-specialty tools (these are the ones that get used so often i consider them required and not shop equipment), because at the dealer they will have access to them even if they have to wait for another tech to finish using it. You would be surprised to know how many techs don't even own a torque wrench (let alone 3+ different sizes which all should be calibrated once a year). This can be a rewarding business but look at everything very carefully before committing yourself.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
HAMMER502 is infamous around these parts
NEW SHOP

I WOULD AGREE WITH A FEW REMARKS MADE BEFORE MINE.1 GOOD TECHS ARE NOT EASY TO FIND AND DON'T COME CHEAP.2 MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOME RESERVE MONEY FOR WORKING CAPITOL(THIS I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE,IT'S STILL A STRUGGLE.)3 MAKE CUSTOMER RELATIONS A PRIORITY.4 AND LASTLY(AND NOT MENTIONED BEFORE I DON'T THINK)KNOW YOUR PRODUCTS AND TRUST YOUR SUPPLIER AND/OR TUNER. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR VENTURE AND IF YOU NEED ANY ADVICE FEEL FREE TO CALL ME AT 704-401-8563.AGAIN GOOD LUCK,GENE MASSIE.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM
mpwrmodena is infamous around these parts
I found my tech after working with him for a race team. He was my mentor and is more then willing to give up the travle life of a race team for a steady job. Expect to be paying them 1,200 a week or more. Buy all snap on tools and have everything you would need. As somone said before its amazing to see how many shops dont have the simple and important tools. Allways have a back up supplier and tuner. What happends if your guy is sick.
-Daniel