996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension Questions... What Is Necessary?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:10 PM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
Suspension Questions... What Is Necessary?

Good Evening All,

I just picked up a used set of JIC Cross's for my 996tt. I've been reading a lot about suspension (camber and toe), toe links, control arms, sway bars and the such. My goal is to keep my car a street car and will NOT be taking it to the track. I just want to make sure that my tires will not wear prematurely and that I can adjust toe and camber to factory specs.

From my understanding, the JIC's have a camber plate that will allow adjustment for camber. Do I need toe links to adjust for toe? or will the factory parts allow me to adjust toe for my new (used) suspension?

Do I NEED control arms for the street?

TIA.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
You should be good in the front. Depends on how low you go in the rear. You may need toe links to get the toe set proper. May need upper control arms (dogbones) in the rear, but I think some people run JIC's with stock alignment settings no problem. I even think they use stock toe links.

But all depends on how low you go. You can have you alignment guy raise the height if the geometry needs a little help to get the right camber and toe in the rear...

And for the love of God, take that car to the track!!! :-)

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Where in NY are you? I have my ride all apart and you can see all the parts, hold them and compare stock to aftermarket replacements.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raineycd
You should be good in the front. Depends on how low you go in the rear. You may need toe links to get the toe set proper. May need upper control arms (dogbones) in the rear, but I think some people run JIC's with stock alignment settings no problem. I even think they use stock toe links.

But all depends on how low you go. You can have you alignment guy raise the height if the geometry needs a little help to get the right camber and toe in the rear...

Totally agree. You'll be fine in the front but if you take the back much lower than 1/2" below stock you'll need adjustable upper control arms and toe links. Also plan on adjustable drop links.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:51 AM
@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice@l996 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Where in NY are you? I have my ride all apart and you can see all the parts, hold them and compare stock to aftermarket replacements.
Hi Tim,

I'm in Manhattan, but I can travel to where you are to see the differences in the stock parts and aftermarket parts. PM your details!

Thanks,
Albert

Old 12-22-2010, 07:04 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by raineycd

+1^^^ you will really appreciate the car so much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Did you buy the JIC from Al Norton?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Old 12-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Hi Albert,

If you don't plan to lower the car, you dont' need any of that stuff for a pure street car. My car was very low front and rear and with a ride height of 120mm in the rear, the eccentrics in the stock suspension were only able to get the camber to -2.3 which is way too much for a pure street car. All the rest of my suspension is completely stock except for aftermarket drop links which you will need if you plan to lower. As the ride height of the car goes up, the camber, both front and rear, will become less negative. I had no problems getting proper toe both front and rear with stock components.

Last edited by Al Norton; 12-22-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey Al!

Glad to hear I can stick with my stock components and keep toe within specs. So If I lower the car too much, I will run into the issue of too much negative camber? How can I correct this? Not that I'm looking to slam the car, but I plan on lowering the car to where the fenders are about a 1/4 inch above the tire making the car a bit lower (probably 1.5-2 inches).

After more research, I have read about corner balancing and an alignment? I'm assuming that once the suspension is installed, I'll need to have this done.

What's the big deal with lowering the car to GT2 specs? Is this something that I should strive for? Keep in mind that this will be a street car.

- Al

Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
[quote=@l996;3074306]Hey Al!

Glad to hear I can stick with my stock components and keep toe within specs. So If I lower the car too much, I will run into the issue of too much negative camber? How can I correct this? Not that I'm looking to slam the car, but I plan on lowering the car to where the fenders are about a 1/4 inch above the tire making the car a bit lower (probably 1.5-2 inches).

After more research, I have read about corner balancing and an alignment? I'm assuming that once the suspension is installed, I'll need to have this done.

What's the big deal with lowering the car to GT2 specs? Is this something that I should strive for? Keep in mind that this will be a street car.

- Al[/quote

]If you're going to lower 1.5-2" the JIC will take care of front camber correction via the adjustable camber plates but I don't think the stock eccentrics will do the job in the rear. You will probably need to buy adjustable dog bone upper control arms to get the negative out to where you don't wear out the insides of your tires. I think the stock rear toe link will have enough adjustment to take care of toe in the rear. You certainly need to have alignment done but for a street car I think corner balancing is of limited value unless you're planning to do a lot of heavy braking from high speeds or a lot of 1G cornering. GT2 specs will be higher than where you will be with 2" lowering. Just put it down there where it looks good to you and survives well on the streets you traverse.

Last edited by Al Norton; 12-22-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Kevganzon is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE=Al Norton;3074314]
Originally Posted by @l996
Hey Al!

- Al[/quote

]If you're going to lower 1.5-2" the JIC will take care of front camber correction via the adjustable camber plates but I don't think the stock eccentrics will do the job in the rear. You will probably need to buy adjustable dog bone upper control arms to get the negative out to where you don't wear out the insides of your tires. I think the stock rear toe link will have enough adjustment to take care of toe in the rear. You certainly need to have alignment done but for a street car I think corner balancing is of limited value unless you're planning to do a lot of heavy braking from high speeds or a lot of 1G cornering. GT2 specs will be higher than where you will be with 2" lowering. Just put it down there where it looks good to you and survives well on the streets you traverse.
I'm lowered down to 1" and was able to adjust my alignment up front just fine to stock specs. In the rear is another story. My camber is -2.7 & -2.9 and i'm getting premature tire wear. Would it be safe to say i ONLY need to get rear upper control arms since you say stock rear toe link will have enough adjustment?

Thanks guys

Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 AM
Uppers would be fine assuming your wheel offsets and tire sizes in rear won't cause rubbing on inner fender liners.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM
X98boardwell is infamous around these parts
Great thread. I have a rebuilt set of JIC Cross that has the front camber plate as well. I plan on lowering about 1 -1.5" at the most. So, it looks like from this thread that only adjustable rear upper control arms are needed to ensure I can set to stock alignment specs (camber and toe).

The only difference is I am running 19" Techart Formula's and have 13mm spacers on the rear... not terribly aggressive at all. I would think this would not effect my ability to do what I said above... correct?

Lastly, where is a good place to purchase these parts? Mine is a convertible and I don't plan on tracking due to weight and flexibility of the car but definately want to make it a fun street car.

Thanks for the help in advance and to @1996 for posting the exact same thread I was needing to post. Hoping this will help and not seen as hijacking.

Regards,
Bryan

Old 03-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by X98boardwell
Great thread. I have a rebuilt set of JIC Cross that has the front camber plate as well. I plan on lowering about 1 -1.5" at the most. So, it looks like from this thread that only adjustable rear upper control arms are needed to ensure I can set to stock alignment specs (camber and toe).

The only difference is I am running 19" Techart Formula's and have 13mm spacers on the rear... not terribly aggressive at all. I would think this would not effect my ability to do what I said above... correct?

Lastly, where is a good place to purchase these parts? Mine is a convertible and I don't plan on tracking due to weight and flexibility of the car but definately want to make it a fun street car.

Thanks for the help in advance and to @1996 for posting the exact same thread I was needing to post. Hoping this will help and not seen as hijacking.

Regards,
Bryan
You need the rear adjustable control arms, adjustable toe steer links, and more than likely adjustable drop links. The drop links can make a bit more noise so get dust boots for them. Unless you plan to track the car you will not need bump steer links (expensive to set up) lower control arms or camber plates.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension Questions... What Is Necessary?