996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Installed UMW Stage2A Kit..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:31 AM
GT2996TT has a spectacular aura aboutGT2996TT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Prche951
yup, that site is old and those stage numbers are no longer valid. The highest stage is IV and there are none of those as far as I know.
Has there ever been a full UMW stage IV car? Oh yeah, Topgun and KPG...

Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GT2996TT
Ouch!.....swing and a miss....

Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

Nope, he never finished the stge IV. Unless I am mistaken just the engines internals were done by umw. machining, special coatings, special rods, cams, etc.

IMO UMW stge 2 might be the most fun that you can have safely at the lower power levels

meth is another, but the jury is still out in my opinion on the safety part as seen below from elsewhere:

Hi folks, it's been some time since I've been on Rennlist. I've been doing a little research on the topic issue and did some searching on these forums for answer but have come up short handed.

Car is a 2001 Turbo, previously a Ruf 550T model. Tial A28's, methanol injection. ~600whp. ~5K miles onto the car after the work and the motor started emulating a click with a typical tone like a broken piston skirt or ringland. Customer dropped off the car and I finally got to tearing the motor apart.

Issue.....#3 piston pin circlip failed, pin gouged sleeve bore. Circlip lost into the depths of the case. The piston also cracked at the pin boss, but I'm unsure as to if it's the culprit to the circlip failure or a fracture due to the force exerted when the pin came in contact with the sleeve while running. The motor was running, and right up until I pulled it into the garage was not even spitting a wisp of smoke from the pipe. compression was down from all other bores by ~60psi due to the 1/4" x 1/16" deep groove cut the full length of the piston travel.

I'm curious to know how frequent of an issue this is with this motor? I've personally never experienced it with the M96. This is a complete factory internal motor and one that to my knowledge and from visual inspection has never been opened up before. Mileage about 55K last I checked. While being owned by the customer(also good friend) the car has never seen track duty nor any RPM above ~6800, although has been using all of that 600whp in the normal RPM range to good use!

Just looking for some insight and opinions as to whether this was some freak incident or a common occurrence. At this point it's quite apparent the motor will require a full rebuild and I wouldn't dare risk not replacing all the circlips at this point. Any info is better than nothing

I will take pictures and post them if requested.

Best Regards
-Adam
Was the owner running on 91 octane fuel? How much boost was run on the engine? Please check #2 rod bearing???

Here is my take... I have seen 4 engines running methanol lately that have ended similar and worse. What is happening is that we are turning the flat 6 plenum into a wet chamber. We are leaning out certain cylinders.. The ECU cannot trim the fuel to the lean hole if at WOT.. Especially if you are running 91 octane and adding the alcohol for fueling and octane/detonation protection.

Besides the rod bearings how did the ring lands "look" __________________

Old 12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Not sure if you are asking me, but I use the UMW lwfw and high hp clutch, which can take more than 700whp. But it is very on off switch type, not a smooth grab like the stocker, but definitely not as grabby as a metal to metal clutch like the tilton.
Apparently you have never driven a Tilton. They are not metal to metal, but carbon discs. I have had every clutch UMW offered, and all were fine for what they were expected to do. Once I went to a puck type disc at UMW it did get a bit light-switchy, but that is the trade off. I tried to use that set up at EVOMS but we just fried that setup with the TQ we were making. Once I got the Tilton, it was light years ahead of any other clutch I have ever had on a Porsche; in both feel, takeup, and holding ability. Granted, the price is absurd, bordering on insane but you get what you pay for and then some. Other than when it is cold, it drives damn near stock in my car. I can roll off from a level traffic light with out throttle. Other than price, it has little downside in my opinion.

Old 12-23-2010, 02:52 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Now that's funny

Old 12-23-2010, 02:56 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
It surely is addictive.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
Apparently you have never driven a Tilton. They are not metal to metal, but carbon discs. I have had every clutch UMW offered, and all were fine for what they were expected to do. Once I went to a puck type disc at UMW it did get a bit light-switchy, but that is the trade off. I tried to use that set up at EVOMS but we just fried that setup with the TQ we were making. Once I got the Tilton, it was light years ahead of any other clutch I have ever had on a Porsche; in both feel, takeup, and holding ability. Granted, the price is absurd, bordering on insane but you get what you pay for and then some. Other than when it is cold, it drives damn near stock in my car. I can roll off from a level traffic light with out throttle. Other than price, it has little downside in my opinion.
hmmm, I have driven metal to metal clutches and I was told that the tilton was metal to metal. I stand corrected on tilton.