996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What's the best route to get wires from the front to the rear interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
What's the best route to get wires from the front to the rear interior

I just built a nice sub box to fill the front part of the shelf behind the back seats and I need to route speaker wires from the AMP in the trunk through the car to the back seats. For those who have already done this - where do you route the wires? I'm thinking over the door would be the easiest, but I'm looking for experience...

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2010, 06:26 PM
boltnbrew is infamous around these parts
Remove your battery. Behind it is an approx 2.5 inch rubber grommet. It has adhesive-backed foam behind it inside the passenger compartment. If you fish through that grommet, you'll end up right above the gas pedal. run wire under console, under shifter boot and back from there. You don't even need to remove the rear console. Took me 5 minutes to run a wire for a dension install.

Old 12-25-2010, 01:49 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I'm familiar with getting through the firewall and even going the console route - but where do you go from the rear of the console to get to the shelf without the wires showing? There doesn't seem to be anything to hide the wires under.

Old 12-25-2010, 05:21 AM
0myshare is infamous around these parts
I also want to know this)

Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Not to highjack this thread ... Im considering a rear facing camera .... can anyone help ...

Old 12-25-2010, 10:30 AM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
There are a series of rubber grommets of various sizes on the firewall. Just pick one and cut/drill thru it, some are thinner than others. Finally seal it up with some silicone.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:19 PM
The firewall isn't the issue - it's the route within the car. Here is a picture of the sub box. I need to get the wires to the right side of the box as you see it here. If I go through the console, there is nothing to hide the wires under to get from the console to the box. Hasn't anyone done this before?

Old 12-25-2010, 12:34 PM
boltnbrew is infamous around these parts
Beautiful sub box. I suggest you use a razorknife to make a 1/4" slit and then use a fishtape to run under the carpet. Start from the point you want to end up and go forward. If you run along edges it will disappear.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:49 PM
OK, now you're talking... If I head straight for the side where the OEM rear speaker is, I could then run it under the trim behind the door and long the side to the back. Thanks - that could play nicely.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
op: Why not just just go through the kick panel and then under the rocker and fish it behind all the paneling? Should be easy to do if you take the pass seat out.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM
The job's done - here's how I did it...

I thought I would post what I came up with to make this job simpler for the next guy...

The carpet in the 911 is very thick - at least an inch with lots of soundproofing so if you put wires under it, it will not be noticeable. I went though the firewall in the center of the car, under the console, across the rear driver's side seat and up behind the trim on the driver's side. I left the wires visible behind the console for the pictures.

Name:  Wiring0.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  140.0 KBName:  Wiring1.jpg
Views: 2818
Size:  87.7 KBName:  Wiring2.jpg
Views: 2477
Size:  119.0 KBName:  Wiring3.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  133.4 KBName:  Wiring4.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  83.5 KB

Old 01-29-2011, 03:33 PM
driverj6321 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the write-up, and especially for the pics! Very helpful.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Luv2rev is infamous around these parts
Need old post member to answer what he did

On 12/29/2010 Slider posted pictures of his trunk mounted Alpine amp. Mr. Slider did you fasten screws to the shelf the amp it's on. It is Boeing the gas tank so how did you avoid puncturing the tank. Is that bracket homemade? Purchased? Where?