996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Cold weather and EBC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Cold weather and EBC

do you all make changes to your EBC when it gets real cold?

My car was race tuned at 1.7 bar with 82% setting on my greddy and it was fine...

40 degrees colder and the afrs are near 13 and datalogs show the car only to boosting up to ~1.5 bar.

I have to turn down the gain my 6 to 10% depending on how cold it is.

Does anyone else make changes to their EBC?

Old 12-26-2010, 04:32 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,Do not have a EBC But I can tell you how my boost changes with the cold temps.When it is in the 80's,its 1.2[3rd] with a spike of 1.3 in 4th.,In the 50's,its almost 1.3 all the time in 3rd gear up,,,AND Now in the low 30's,its 1.3 with 1.4 spikes[3rd] but in 4th a solid 1.4......EPL says I am still safe with there package......Hope that helped.......

Old 12-26-2010, 04:36 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
I think were are in different situations since your ECU is controlling the boost while my EBC is...

Old 12-26-2010, 04:45 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yup, 2 different worlds. With an EBC, you need to pay VERY close attention to your boost gauge/EBC and make adjustments as necessary, to stay in your "safe" zone. If not, plan on buying pistons...

Old 12-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
do you all make changes to your EBC when it gets real cold?

My car was race tuned at 1.7 bar with 82% setting on my greddy and it was fine...

40 degrees colder and the afrs are near 13 and datalogs show the car only to boosting up to ~1.5 bar.

I have to turn down the gain my 6 to 10% depending on how cold it is.

Does anyone else make changes to their EBC?
Yep. I always immediately turn my EBC down 10% when the temp drops significantly. This is usually enough to compensate

Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
YES,I know it is different control situation.I just was trying to show that the colder air makes more boost in these modified cars and it is good to know that we have to make sure it stays in the safe range regardless .......

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Scott-
What about the "warning" and "dial back" features on the Greddy? Can the car just spike too high too quickly before the Greddy dials it back? If not, wouldn't you be safe....i.e. let's say you are running 1.3bar and have it set do drop it 10% at 1.35bar...

Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Holy Frejoles Ben! Scott has you tuned for 1.7 bar? First of all, that surprises me that you are running that kind of boost.

Secondly, I always had to dial my Greddy back when it got colder. Be careful not to spike higher than 1.7 bar. I never ran above 1.45 constant.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Holy Frejoles Ben! Scott has you tuned for 1.7 bar? First of all, that surprises me that you are running that kind of boost.

Secondly, I always had to dial my Greddy back when it got colder. Be careful not to spike higher than 1.7 bar. I never ran above 1.45 constant.
Yes, my race tune was set to 1.7 bar. I guess its because I am running alpha 28's and you were running K24? The AFRs were fine when it was 90 degrees but in this cold they jumped up.

Once I turned down the gain by ~8% the AFRs were fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:04 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
did you get the PM I sent?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Yes, always turn down the boost when it gets colder.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Guys-
See my response.....maybe Scott can chime in here. If the Greddy has the ability to dial back boost once boost hits a set value, where is the danger in leaving it when colder? I am not disagreeing, I truly don't understand. Seems to me the boost would get to the preset number quicker in the cold, but that the Greddy would still dial it back.....what am I missing?

Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by $manager
Guys-
See my response.....maybe Scott can chime in here. If the Greddy has the ability to dial back boost once boost hits a set value, where is the danger in leaving it when colder? I am not disagreeing, I truly don't understand. Seems to me the boost would get to the preset number quicker in the cold, but that the Greddy would still dial it back.....what am I missing?

Do you have a Greddy? When a Greddy "dials" back boost, the whole car stalls.. That sucks. So.....when it's cold you have to dial the boost back so it never has to cut boost to save the engine. I lost to AtomicZ this way.. The Greddy shut my car down and a silly little vette beat me. But no, I'm not bitter... Love you Eric.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by $manager
Scott-
What about the "warning" and "dial back" features on the Greddy? Can the car just spike too high too quickly before the Greddy dials it back? If not, wouldn't you be safe....i.e. let's say you are running 1.3bar and have it set do drop it 10% at 1.35bar...
Not sure of this question is for me or the other Scott, but...yes, the boost can unexpectedly spike past the warning setting and only leave you with a warning indicator of what just occurred.

The safest bet is to always dial back in cooler temps and readjust from there.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 12-28-2010 at 03:55 PM.