996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

K16 billet hybrid... How do you like yours

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 AM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
K16 billet hybrid... How do you like yours

I think this upgrade would work for me. 2001tt , sway bars, kn air filter, tune, tip... That's what I got. It's a daily driver in town and country roads to and fro to work... Want a quick spool... How do you like your k16 billet upgrades...

Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM
soloracer996TT is infamous around these parts
I like mine so far. I have the AMS Billett K16's with the larger injectors and water/meth injection. When I first got my car it had stock turbo's, tune and an Agency Power exhaust. The car came with a Dyno sheet saying it made 422 rwhp. I had another 996 Turbo that had a stock turbos, stock exhaust, airbox and tune (we think an EVOMS). I sold that car to a friend so that I could buy my current car. We put the two cars side by side and did a run and we were dead even. I believe the boost was at 1.40 bar.

After the AMS K16 install running a "soft" tune of 0.8 bar - without the bigger injectors - we lined the cars up again. We did a rolling start in 3rd gear and this time I pulled away from him. There was no noticeable difference in lag and the car pulled right from the start. I would guess power is in the 450 rwhp range.

I haven't done any testing since the bigger injector and water/meth install. The car is my daily driver and winter doesn't make for optimum traction conditions. I am also going ahead with a new clutch, gt2 slave conversion, wavetrack differential and upgraded intake piping. When we finally get everything done I will get a dyno session in along with taking some video's.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice. Cold here too. Went out today to the store in the tt. First time the roads were clean in a month... Do you have headers? ... I have a pair I bought but haven't put them on yet... How do you like the water injection. I was thinking about that one also.. Did it take long to install.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 PM
soloracer996TT is infamous around these parts
From everything I have read spending money on headers is a waste. The factory headers flow exceptionally well. Much better places to spend money on these cars than headers. The water/meth injection was a bigger install than originally anticipated but it works well.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
pat
I bought two pair of headers to compare them. The one pair was only 225$ and they are very nice. ... That was cheep if I get any better spool I am good with 225$...I think I will put them on before spring and see if there is any difference

Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
I bought two pair of headers to compare them. The one pair was only 225$ and they are very nice. ... That was cheep if I get any better spool I am good with 225$...I think I will put them on before spring and see if there is any difference
Longevity/build quality are a concern at this price level. You get what you pay for. P&P the stock manifolds.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:42 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You will never notice a seat of the pants improvment with headers...When you get to 800-1000whp, you will however notice the shortcoming of the factory header...

Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM
pat
I bought the headers just to see how well they were made... I actualy bought 2 pair and was going to do a write up on them but haven't had the time yet.... The one pair, the 225$ one was surprisingly well made. The welds were very good and I was surprised. I will post some pictures

Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pat
I bought the headers just to see how well they were made... I actualy bought 2 pair and was going to do a write up on them but haven't had the time yet.... The one pair, the 225$ one was surprisingly well made. The welds were very good and I was surprised. I will post some pictures
It's not always the welds that are bad. If the stainless (if that's what they are) is too thin, they will crack...guaranteed...

Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
pat
some pictures

Attached Images     
Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
pat
i was wondering if you could feel a seat of the pants improvement with headers. i have a tip so i will probably only go up to 525 hp ....

Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by pat
i was wondering if you could feel a seat of the pants improvement with headers. ....
Nope. These aren't like big block chevy's that really respond to headers. The 996tt factory headers actually flow really well up to 700whp or so...

Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
It wont hurt to add headers to your tip since you already have them. But you wont see any benefit at the power level you want to head towards.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
You will never notice a seat of the pants improvment with headers...When you get to 800-1000whp, you will however notice the shortcoming of the factory header...
Proto has used stock headers on a 1000hp 996.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Proto has used stock headers on a 1000hp 996.
Exactly, and they probably work fine, BUT at that level, headers would make a difference, but not necessary. MOST people install headers because they are running different turbo's, not for the performance upgrade.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: K16 billet hybrid... How do you like yours