996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

best brake pad and rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vividracing
My opinion would be to run the Pagid RS29 which is great for street and weekend DE. If you want a GOOD proven rotor that will not crack or you will not have to replace the hat because of immitation McLaren hardware, get the Brembo kit. The reason this rotor is superior is because of the hardware which gives the rotor a true centerline of braking. You will not have uneven pad wear and you will not have to replace the HAT either. see here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/brembo-piece-floating-drilled-front-rotors-brakes-porsche-0105-p-61037.html
I like this set up, just 2 questions:

1.-Rotors are direct replacement, right? no need for anything extra like spacers, shimmys, right?

2.- Do the RS29's have the indent for the sensor?

TIA

Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Yazz911TT is infamous around these parts
Just got back from another Blast in the 996TT!! The pads are definitely biting now!! They are bedding in nicely! I would say they bite 20-30% harder across the speed range than stock. They are a very nice upgrade!! Cant wait to take them to the Nurburgring in May/June!!

On a separate note... is it normal to be exerpiencing some judder whilst on 50-60% pedal pressure and keeping it there?
Also, is it ok to put copper grease between the pad and the plate with the 2 piston insert type things?
Lastly, y do these cars have that backing plate with the piston inserts??

Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
_gez_ is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Frissen
Do the RS29's have the indent for the sensor?

TIA
No, but it would be pointless using them anyway as they melt. You just revert to the old skool method of checking your pads with your eyes!!

Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yazz911TT
Just got back from another Blast in the 996TT!! The pads are definitely biting now!! They are bedding in nicely! I would say they bite 20-30% harder across the speed range than stock. They are a very nice upgrade!! Cant wait to take them to the Nurburgring in May/June!!

On a separate note... is it normal to be exerpiencing some judder whilst on 50-60% pedal pressure and keeping it there?
Also, is it ok to put copper grease between the pad and the plate with the 2 piston insert type things?
Lastly, y do these cars have that backing plate with the piston inserts??
How is the noise and dust on the cool carbons? I've got the RS29 yellows on my car now with the 6 piston calipers and on the street they suck... Their initial bite when cold is lousy, they dust like crazy and are extremely noisy.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 02-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Another Update: Just went for a blast in the Porsche again last night. Warmed the pads up gently and then on the way home from meeting with a few friends I absolutely HAMMERED the brakes to DEATH!! I have now done circa 180miles on the pads. They make NO NOISE...whether hot or cold. They produce the same amount of dust as a stock pad.

The final conclusion for me so far is this. The initial bite is 10-15% more than stock, then when they warm up its more like 20-30% more bite, then when they get hot and sticky its 50-60% more bite. Also, they just dont fade! On road, I was going on the brakes even when i didnt need to just to heat the hell out of them and they just didnt fade!! I haven't been on track but i'm sure they will hold up. These are an EXCELLENT street and mild track use upgrade!! Basically, its the sort of pad that is like a stage 1 upgrade from stock but no matter how much u hammer them they keep stepping up to the mark!! Thanks F1Crazy Driver for recommending me these pads!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I picked up the cool carbons as well but won't be I stalling for a few weeks... Too much travel.

Yazz- are you still liking them and when is your next track outing?

Old 02-28-2011, 02:06 AM
Originally Posted by Etchhead
I picked up the cool carbons as well but won't be I stalling for a few weeks... Too much travel.

Yazz- are you still liking them and when is your next track outing?
Hey Etch, I was just on track this weekend actually! The pads are AMAZING! They just step up their game and there was absolutely no fade after 10+ laps of a 2mile circuit, in one outing! Definitely a recommendation on these pads from me!! Next track, NURBURGRING in JUNE!! Cant wait!
Thanks to F1CrazyDriver for the initial recommendation!!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 PM
imolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the roughimolafem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I have tried Pagid Orange, Yellow R19, R29, and Blacks. I don't like any of those for the street or track. ( like the blacks for rear b ias)

Best pad of the track is PFC 01's . Best pad for DD and occasional track use is CoolCarbon. You can ge tthem at pelican parts. No need for 350mm rotors unless you are going 10/10s or if you wnat to show off to your buds.
F1 I am looking to get the PFC 01 for fronts with my gt2 calipers and PFC 97 for rears on gt2 calipers, 350 mm rotors and gt3 brake ducting. I still like to drive my car off track occasionally on weekends around town. How would these pads behave?

Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Ankarhuset is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by johnselli
How is the noise and dust on the cool carbons? I've got the RS29 yellows on my car now with the 6 piston calipers and on the street they suck... Their initial bite when cold is lousy, they dust like crazy and are extremely noisy.
If you consider that a problem on a trackcar it's easily solved by mounting black wheels - for instance OZ Racing Ultraleggera HLT Black which my track tyres are mounted on

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by imolafem
F1 I am looking to get the PFC 01 for fronts with my gt2 calipers and PFC 97 for rears on gt2 calipers, 350 mm rotors and gt3 brake ducting. I still like to drive my car off track occasionally on weekends around town. How would these pads behave?
I went to PFC01's (all 4) from stock - amazing bite / no fade but they will tear up a set of stock rotors (went to Giro 350mm slotted) awesome track set up for fast short braking, street wise they will squeal but I noticed after a track session driving home no squeal so now when it starts to make noise I do a few hard stops from good speeds and it cleans off the glaze that maybe creates it. FYI Just changed after 01's were done to 08's - a lot more noise even on the track?? I'll go back to 01's when these are done.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Still very pleased with the CC pads on stock rotors. No noise, dust is minimal, and fantastic performance on track. Our sessions are 20-30mins and they are holding up against the heat and load. After cooling down it takes half a lap to turn them back on again- just like my MPSC tires.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnselli
How is the noise and dust on the cool carbons?
I've had them on for about 500 miles now and I love them. I have no noise at all and the initial bite and performance thereafter is great. Excellent street/track pad. I only use them on the street though. My wheels are graphite in color, so I don't notice the dust at all, but upon inspection they seem to be a bit less than OEM.

Will definitely buy again,.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've burned through a lot of pagid pads over the last 4.5 years and I'm personally done with them when I cook off the few sets I have left. I have been driving my other cars with HAWKS and will be switching over the 996TT to either those or PF06s. I'm unimpressed with how the Pagids release, how they perform under high threshold braking compared to my Hawks on both the other cars I drive on track, and the cars I get a chance to experience as an instructor at the track.

I've run blacks, yellows, oranges, and I'm just unimpressed with them, especially at teh price point... So yea, I'm done.

Mike

Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
There are a lot of other options out there for rotors that don't cost you the arm and leg that the Brembos do, and don't have issues with the hats failing or the "imitation hardware" having issues... Talk to a bunch of guys using the products available to find ground truth.

Mike

Originally Posted by Frissen
I like this set up, just 2 questions:

1.-Rotors are direct replacement, right? no need for anything extra like spacers, shimmys, right?

2.- Do the RS29's have the indent for the sensor?

TIA