996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

best brake pad and rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Nikkolaki is infamous around these parts
best brake pad and rotor replacement

what is the best pad/rotor for DD and occassional track use?
what about going to 350mm from330mm rotor?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:31 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I have tried Pagid Orange, Yellow R19, R29, and Blacks. I don't like any of those for the street or track. ( like the blacks for rear b ias)

Best pad of the track is PFC 01's . Best pad for DD and occasional track use is CoolCarbon. You can ge tthem at pelican parts. No need for 350mm rotors unless you are going 10/10s or if you wnat to show off to your buds.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Yazz911TT is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I have tried Pagid Orange, Yellow R19, R29, and Blacks. I don't like any of those for the street or track. ( like the blacks for rear b ias)

Best pad of the track is PFC 01's . Best pad for DD and occasional track use is CoolCarbon. You can ge tthem at pelican parts. No need for 350mm rotors unless you are going 10/10s or if you wnat to show off to your buds.

Could you please elaborate on why you didnt like any of the pagids as I was literally about to buy one of the ones you mentioned today. Luckily I read this before clicking the CHECKOUT button!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Yazz911TT
Could you please elaborate on why you didnt like any of the pagids as I was literally about to buy one of the ones you mentioned today. Luckily I read this before clicking the CHECKOUT button!
The pagids yellows and orange do not have the bite that i like. Also they sequak terrible. I you are going to go with pagid get the blacks. BUT I prefer the PFC 01's. Thats my recmd to you if you are going to track a lot. What do you plan to do with these pads ?

I currently have Pagid Black on the rear and PFC 01's up front. I have the pagids as they still haven't worn out, and this is my track setup. For DD i would get cool carbon all around. They last well for blast up the mtn roads.
'

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM
The pagids yellows and orange do not have the bite that i like. Also they sequak terrible. I you are going to go with pagid get the blacks. BUT I prefer the PFC 01's. Thats my recmd to you if you are going to track a lot. What do you plan to do with these pads ?

I currently have Pagid Black on the rear and PFC 01's up front. I have the pagids as they still haven't worn out, and this is my track setup. For DD i would get cool carbon all around. They last well for blast up the mtn roads.
'
Mostly fast road driving but the occassional track day and my annual nurburgring weekend.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Mostly fast road driving but the occassional track day and my annual nurburgring weekend.

If thats the case, go with Pagid black rs 14 for the rear. It gives the car great rear brake bias. For the front, if you do not want squeak go with the CoolCarbon. If you do not mind the squeak go with PFC 01's I love those fronts. Unlike the Pagids, the PFC come to live much quicker. Not as much as heat needed and work very well at extreme temps.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 AM
Hi there, thanks for the advice, I just bought Cool Carbon Pads from Pelican Parts. They are the D916. Can you explain the range for me please. The website isnt very informative in this area. Thanks. What sort of heat range can these take and what would be the sort of Pagid equivalent. Thanks!

Old 01-05-2011, 03:25 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Hi there, thanks for the advice, I just bought Cool Carbon Pads from Pelican Parts. They are the D916. Can you explain the range for me please. The website isnt very informative in this area. Thanks. What sort of heat range can these take and what would be the sort of Pagid equivalent. Thanks!
I've been looking for a good alternative to the OE pads with better performance with minimal dust and no noise. There have been very few offerings to this point that meet the criteria.

Let us know what you think of these pads once you get them runnning. We would all like to hear about the performance, dust, and noise as compaired to the OEM pads.

Thanks, and good luck!!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
I've been looking for a good alternative to the OE pads with better performance with minimal dust and no noise. There have been very few offerings to this point that meet the criteria.

Let us know what you think of these pads once you get them runnning. We would all like to hear about the performance, dust, and noise as compaired to the OEM pads.

Thanks, and good luck!!
I have driven the coolcarbons, performance wize it is much superior then the OEM. Porka a member here drove my car and loved them so much that he put them on his car, and he is extremely happy with the performance with them. No sequak, much better bite and they take the heat very well when driven hard. As for brake dust, I'm not sure as my wheels were black when i had them and so are Porkas. If you are looking for a performance pad and no brake dust, you should be looking for a comfort pad if you really care about brake dust.

As for the heat the coolcarbons can take :

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com...Data_Graph.pdf

I have personaly have not tried hawks, but i have heard great things. I have tried EBC's on a diffrent car and they were crappy for the lack of better word.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
I have driven the coolcarbons, performance wize it is much superior then the OEM. Porka a member here drove my car and loved them so much that he put them on his car, and he is extremely happy with the performance with them. No sequak, much better bite and they take the heat very well when driven hard. As for brake dust, I'm not sure as my wheels were black when i had them and so are Porkas. If you are looking for a performance pad and no brake dust, you should be looking for a comfort pad if you really care about brake dust.

I have personaly have not tried hawks, but i have heard great things. I have tried EBC's on a diffrent car and they were crappy for the lack of better word.
Yeah, I'm not so concerned with the dust as I am with the performance and noise. My wheels are alo dark graphite in color so the dust doesn't really show much. Just thought it's be a nice added bonus.

May have to pich up a set of these in the spring when it comes out from under the cover.

Thanks for you information. It is much appreciated.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Yeah, I'm not so concerned with the dust as I am with the performance and noise. My wheels are alo dark graphite in color so the dust doesn't really show much. Just thought it's be a nice added bonus.

May have to pich up a set of these in the spring when it comes out from under the cover.

Thanks for you information. It is much appreciated.
PM imolafem. She is local and has aftermarket pads in her 996TT that is used on the street/track. I believe she is using Porterfield pads on OEM rotors, with aftermarket fluid.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:03 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !

Thanks, and good luck!!
I read that EBC reds with the new compound are a great pad for everyday use and occasional DE or light track days. The old reds were crap but the new ones are supposed to be great with low noise/dust.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by johnselli
I read that EBC reds with the new compound are a great pad for everyday use and occasional DE or light track days. The old reds were crap but the new ones are supposed to be great with low noise/dust.
I heard nightmare stories about the new ones squealing. I was going to go with the EBC reds, but after some research and hearing some stories, I decided to wait.

The performance is there and the low dust is great, but I wouldn't be abe to live with noise that others have described.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:59 AM

Hi F1 thanks for the info in the link there but The model used in that test is not mentioned. Im guessing coolcarbon do have a range of pads?? Or is it just 1 performance and 1 oem replacement?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM
HI F1, I've found this http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com...orscheApps.pdf But I'm still unsure which pads are for the 996TT. Are the highlighted ones for the specific model or are they ones that cannot be used on ceramic discs??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best brake pad and rotor replacement