996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Valet, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
what a horrible story...especially because it happened slowly and you saw it from outside the car knowing all the while it could have been avoided, we're not talking about an animal or someone pulling out right in front you, this was stupid and avoidable...I would have been livid!

Originally Posted by anikzad
Man, I just could not resist this. Although, my car is not porcelain, I do take care of
it. I can say the only reason the bottom of my front bumper is scraped is because of
one valet at La Jolla Hilton Hotel.

It is not often I get a chance to take my wife out w/o the kids, so pulled out the
black beauty and down we went. The kid took the key from me before I could even tip
him, stalled the car and the car rolled down and hit the curb (scraped the bottom).

Now, what should I do? make a scene in front of the wife, I am about to ignore it and
my wife went ballistic on the guy, long story short. That was my last valet...

Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
mod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura aboutmod mike has a spectacular aura about
park on the street ,or take another car. i had a real bad experience once in my 01 cab. was out drinking with a girl and didn't bother the check the car over before leaving. when i woke up the next day there was over 3500 in damage to the car. someone backed into the door where it meets the body... i never take my turbo to a valet, ever!!!!! however, you're married so your wife is most likely use to you checking over your car. once you pull out, there're not responsible. your
decision really

Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
what a horrible story...especially because it happened slowly and you saw it from outside the car knowing all the while it could have been avoided, we're not talking about an animal or someone pulling out right in front you, this was stupid and avoidable...I would have been livid!

Yup...no cure for stupid...

Old 01-05-2011, 04:13 PM
anikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to allanikzad is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yup...no cure for stupid...
The truth of it is that I was gonna let it go . It was funny to see my wife
all worked up. She is from Long Island, NY and trust me you do not want
to mess w/ all 105 lbs of her.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
kinky is infamous around these parts
I used to valet in NYC a few years ago at a few places and I will say for sure the valets or even some of the managers could not care less about their job. Most of the employees had more of a mentality of "I am getting paid to test drive cars". Theft, scratches, major dents, bumpers falling off, all that.

I have also seen that many valet services are a valet at your own risk type of establishment. Which of course means if something happens, we are not to blame.

Many times, don't assume a tip even as big as $50 will stop the valet from playing around with your car given the right circumstances. Of course, if the car is parked within your sight then it will probably be treated with care and not touched, but the second a valet gets to bring the car around back or across the street, your car might get abused.

The fact is most valets are not career valets, so just like with any profession there is a limit to how much they care.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
just drive by. if there is space up front, park it yourself and keep key.

otherwise, go to self park lot or find street parking.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future03 996tt has a brilliant future
Thanks for all the replies. I'm happy to know there are others who feel like I do.

The wife has agreed that should the front be full, we will self park and walk. I'm not very concerned about abuse as the rev limiter will keep me from seeing 10k and its not likely they will hit top speed in 3rd and mis-shift to 2nd causing an over rev. I'm more concerned with scratches and curb rash to my pristine 11k mile car (or even worse, hanging parts).

I've only owned her for 8 months and I spent extra $$$ to get a very low mileage new looking car and I want it to stay that way. otherwise, I could have saved the premium and bought a previously valeted car ripen with their signature.

For the South Florida guys, I'm talking about Capital Grill at Galleria.

Last edited by 03 996tt; 01-05-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I won't let a valet touch my Turbo. I've let them park my (now former) G-wagen but that's it. I don't trust anybody with a stick shift high HP car. They could glaze the clutch really easily.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Take the van. I hate valet and try to avoid ever parking valet, especially if its a stick shift car. Not to mention thingd might disappear from your car...
There are very few people i trust comfortably to drive my cars anyway, the valet is not one of them.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM
gt2rs6 has a spectacular aura aboutgt2rs6 has a spectacular aura about
i did not read through the whole post so dunno if this was said... tell them you must park the vehicle yourself because you are a licensed firearm holder and you have firearms in the vehicle and cannot allow anyone in the vehicle at all.... works like a friggin charm for me.. = )

Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by anikzad
She is from Long Island, NY and trust me you do not want to mess w/ all 105 lbs of her.
Funny, I got one of those too. Lot's of "f" words involved.

Her brother sounds like a mafia hit man on the phone. I'm holding him in reserve for when I need someone convinced by phone that their current plan of action is not acceptable.

Yo' Joey!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Centauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the roughCentauro97 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gt2rs6
i did not read through the whole post so dunno if this was said... tell them you must park the vehicle yourself because you are a licensed firearm holder and you have firearms in the vehicle and cannot allow anyone in the vehicle at all.... works like a friggin charm for me.. = )
That's a good one. Tough to use in Maryland though. They'll know I'm exagerating about having a license. I miss Florida.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
gt2rs6 has a spectacular aura aboutgt2rs6 has a spectacular aura about
at any rate.. gun in the car license or not should ALWAYS work.. i use license just cause it sounds responsible lol and god forbid a valet ****** get cute and calls the cops to verify lmao

Old 01-06-2011, 01:40 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Centauro97
That's a good one. Tough to use in Maryland though. They'll know I'm exagerating about having a license. I miss Florida.
man I was gonna try this out in MD as well ..seems like we have some furum guys around here from Md/DC/VA (Washington Metro area) we should all meet up sometime...we can all park the 911's outside a chosen venue ourselves no valets!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
Which clubs are you talking about? I'm out in DC and Bmore as well....and this is exactly the same thing I do... trick is as mentioned know the owners, GM, or valet head at the venue...they will let YOU park your own car up front and let you keep your keys or if they park it for you, they'll give you the keys...either way the car will be up front and you're all good!
This is what I do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Valet, what should I do?