996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Camshaft Position Sensor...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Damn. the solenoid between the 4&5 coils is for the high lift. Although the solenoid on the cam tower facing straight up with the same 2 wire clip as the fuel injectors, you can see it from above. If the car runs ok after 4k the cam is not advancing. If the intake cam was not turning over no fuel would enter the cylinder as the intake valve would not open. The motor will need to be dropped and bank 2 will need to be gone through. Cam timing plates are needed to put it all back together. You can do a clutch and turbo intake piping at the same time. If that eases the pain
So is there anything else you would suggest swapping out or testing before I have this thing towed? I didn't quite follow you on the "solenoid on the cam tower facing straight up"... Is that something I should look at as well? Also, would I harm anything by firing up the engine and keeping it at 4k or above if it's been sitting cold for almost 2 weeks now? I suppose I should test the specific scenario that you ran into yourself, no? I'm certainly not equipped to drop the motor in my garage at home though and "cam timing plates" sounds a little too intimidating at this point.

This week might be the week to have it towed... Very Big *sigh*...

Grassy *** again for all the help and suggestions...

Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
pm'd

Old 01-16-2011, 09:05 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
First picture is a solenoid, second and third is the location of the two solenoid for the cam advance and the last the picture the valves lift solenoid location....

Attached Images     
Old 01-16-2011, 09:17 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jpflip
First picture is a solenoid, second and third is the location of the two solenoid for the cam advance and the last the picture the valves lift solenoid location....
But wouldn't a variocam issue throw another code?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...e-fault-p1349/

Last edited by PAULUNM; 01-16-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
But wouldn't a variocam issue throw another code?

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...e-fault-p1349/
Agree Paulumn. I post these picture for info. The vario cam can be test using Durametric "drive link" functions....

Lots of work on this link related to variocam...http://www.renntech.org/forums/index..._1#entry125986

Last edited by jpflip; 01-16-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
atisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant futureatisvt99 has a brilliant future
Gonna try a few more things while laying on my back in my garage... It might be off to an indy shop here soon though. JPFlip and Paul, thanks for the input my friends... I've not given up just yet.

And Tim, thanks again for taking my call the other night... Learned a LOT talking to you!

I'll keep the thread updated... Also, got my hands on a Durametric (thanks to a local 6speed user) and it pulled the same P0348 code and also the MAF hot film something or other... but I think that might just be the car running like ***. The MAF is a brand new Bosch part I put in a month ago.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Any updates on this problem???
Thanks,
Frank

Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Any updates on this problem???
Thanks,
Frank
Alas, my only update is that the car was towed to a local indy shop yesterday... Just talked to the owner a few minutes ago and he'll hopefully get his hands dirty with it a little later this week. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on their findings.

Tim, he actually threw out the idea you initially had about the cam seals possibly being bad and therefore not holding any PSI to activate the advance... ? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks again for all of your help through this... You're a true enthusiast - in every sense of the word.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by atisvt99
Alas, my only update is that the car was towed to a local indy shop yesterday... Just talked to the owner a few minutes ago and he'll hopefully get his hands dirty with it a little later this week. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on their findings.

Tim, he actually threw out the idea you initially had about the cam seals possibly being bad and therefore not holding any PSI to activate the advance... ? I guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks again for all of your help through this... You're a true enthusiast - in every sense of the word.
Lets see I hope it is not too!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM
Unhappy Ouch...

Turns out it was a broken timing chain... I'm going to start a new thread now.

... here we go

Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by atisvt99
Turns out it was a broken timing chain... I'm going to start a new thread now.

... here we go
Wow! This is a really a bad news. I am surprise that you did not hear the piston hitting the valves. Hope you do not have too much damage in there... Good luck.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:44 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
I find it really odd that you were able to get the car to run (albeit briefly) with a broken timing chain...

Is your car chipped/modded?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
I find it really odd that you were able to get the car to run (albeit briefly) with a broken timing chain...

Is your car chipped/modded?
Thats what I was thinking. How on Earth did it run with a busted Chain.
Frank

Old 02-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Built Porsche Tough, huh?

My shop guys said the same thing... the fact that it would run (albeit, very rough - obviously) was amazing. I'm pretty certain that I had some sort of defect in the chain material, since there is still no rhyme or reason to the chain just snapping.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:52 AM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
well folks, I have the code P 0343 "camshaft position sensor circuit reading high". I also recently noticed oil leaking. I'm hoping the oil is just from the drain plug not getting tightened enough when I recently had the oil changed. Any ideas on the camshaft position sensor? I have no tools or garage to work on it as I'm away on business. How much can I expect that to cost at an indy shop? I was thinking of taking it to At Speed Motorsports near Baltimore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor...