996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spark Plugs for 1.2bar

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Yazz911TT is infamous around these parts
Spark Plugs for 1.2bar

Hi guys, can you tell me what spark plugs are best for 1.2bar of boost? or are OEM sufficient? From my experience with jap turbo cars...skylines, supras, evos and the likes, you usually go for a COLDER plug as you increase boost. Is there such a thing for the porker?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
We like the NGK BKR7E... use it almost exclusively.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Robin@EPL
We like the NGK BKR7E... use it almost exclusively.
Can u give me the full code for these spark plugs to fit the 996tt. thanks.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Robin,EPL......HI,When I got my package/kit from Tony,1yr ago,it had the FR6-LDC plugs??Would your new recommendation be a better choice at my set-up,1.2 to 1.3 bars.Also ,I left message about fan running when cold out/engine running??...Thanks

Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I run the BKR7 plugs at 1.2-1.3 bar. Change them every 4k-5k miles or so.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I'd like to learn more about this also...subscribed.

are the stock plugs good for .8 - 1.0 bar (where stock is .8 bar and a tune would be 1.0 bar) I am guessing from 1.0 - 1.2 and on up are various boost levels either through tune or EBC...??

Old 01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Stock plugs would work at 1bar, but life expectancy decreases accordingly. When you start running more boost, you need more spark energy to keep the fire lit!!! More spark energy beats up your plugs sooner.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:19 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
hmm well i don't want to argue but i don't know if the BKR7E makes more spark but usually, the reason for upgrading the spark plug to a colder degree (7 instead of 6) is to keep the engine from preignition with a spark plug that got too hot. When you put more boost, the chamber runs hotter and the plugs might be too hot and ignite the air/fuel mixture before the actual spark comes on. A lower degree plug will help in the higher temperature chambers.

I also don't think that running more boost will make your plugs use more energy, the energy comes from the coils and if the coils are the same, there is no reason why you would be able to get more energy.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:24 PM
You are absolutely correct on all points. I wasn't insinuating that the sparks plugs are responsible for the energy. What I meant to say was, when you run more boost, you should run a step colder plug and tighten up the gap a smidge, and that shortens the life of the plug.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
Oh ok, then i guess this will be god read for other but can you explain me how the smaller gap shortens the life of the plug?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,In my yrs of building other types of high out put motors,which should apply here also,it would be better to open up the gap,,,,,,'IF' you have the energy to fire that plug with a wider gap,,,,,,,so,that it has a longer/bigger spark for a more complete burn/explosion........But if you do not have enough energy to fire that increased gap,it will have a weak spark and with more cylinder pressure introduced,,,,,,,you have the possibilty of blowing out the spark because it will be weak.....Just my thoughts......

Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 AM
targa72e is infamous around these parts
Higher cylinder pressures (from more boost) create a denser air in the cylinder. It takes more power for the spark to cross the gap. The higher energy requirement is hard on ignition components like wires, coils and plugs. Think of it as harder for each electron to push its way thru the gas molecules that are closer together. Engines that run higher than stock boost can often benefit from cooler plugs as more boost causes combustion temperatures increase with denser air/fuel mixtures (more energy)

john

Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 AM
guys what about Bosch SUper 4 spark plugs?? ANy good??

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
You are absolutely correct on all points. I wasn't insinuating that the sparks plugs are responsible for the energy. What I meant to say was, when you run more boost, you should run a step colder plug and tighten up the gap a smidge, and that shortens the life of the plug.
Preferred gap? 26 or 28?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Preferred gap? 26 or 28?
Mine are at .026.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs for 1.2bar