996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo GT700 vs. CGT!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:31 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Another way to look at it is PIGS CANT FLY.

I don't care how much horsepower a TT has it still weighs 3600lbs. When driven properly the CGT will spank a GT2 so hard ... it will look like a children's toy. There are few of us that have witnessed this and it is sobering.

The main reason the GT3 RSR is so dman fast ... is not because it has 700hp but because it weighs 2400lbs!!!

Old 03-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
chad, the question was whether the "the CGT just shut down or did the EVO really shoot past it some 3-4 car lengths?". i don't think there is ANY speed from which the EVO will "shoot past it some 3-4 car lengths". even a "gradual pulling away" by 3-4 car lengths is tough to believe. "shoot past" 3-4 car lengths is a fairy tale.

on top of that, none of the "big hitters" (at least those whose cars were reliable enough to actually finish all the tests) in the latest TT shootout (including packages well above the EVO being discussed here) managed to best the CGT's 1/4 mile time. it would be a good idea to keep these hopped up turbos away from the CGT in it's venue (ie: the track) cause a very healthy dose of embarassment would be bestowed upon them. further with all the problems we hear about (your's included) like buddy's, fred's, etc, i think it probably a good idea not to run these hopped up turbos against the stock CGT for very long.
That's true Ben. You know how much I love your CGT, but honestly, I can tell you that my ex-Turbo was quite a bit faster in almost any given speed range. That car ran great, with no major problems except little annoying programming glitches. But it ran for almost 20K miles with no problem. Protomotive makes some FAST cars when they put their mind to it.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by quartermile

I don't care how much horsepower a TT has it still weighs 3600lbs. When driven properly the CGT will spank a GT2 so hard ... it will look like a children's toy. There are few of us that have witnessed this and it is sobering.

The main reason the GT3 RSR is so dman fast ... is not because it has 700hp but because it weighs 2400lbs!!!
You are oversimplifying the issue a bit.

1. A GT2 only weighs about 100lbs. more than a CGT. It is much, much lighter than a TT and has different handling characteristics altogether.

2. The RSR has suspension geometry that is unlike any other 996. The uprights, hubs, links, steering arms, etc. are ALL different. That is the biggest change from even its predecessors like the R/RS. The suspension setup and its low weight makes it spank the CGT even though it has only 445hp (not 700).

If you added RSR suspension parts to a GT2 with proper JRZ shocks and gave it a real 600hp (like Ruf), it would be as good if not better than a CGT on the racetrack. How comfortable on the street it would be is a different conversation...

3. A modified GT2 like those made by Manthey and Jurgen Alzen can be made very, very fast... the Alzen car set the fastest qualifying lap ever in the '03 24H Nurburgring.

That being said, I would LOVE to have a CGT and mod that. It is everything a sports car should be. I can't wait til Chad butchers it up!

One of these days, I'll have one.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 PM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
CGT is faster in quarter mile then 11.0? What is the CGT's 1/4 mile time? I had read somewhere that it did 11.3 and the Enzo was 11.1. In Vegas, the GT700 did 11.0 no? In any event, I love the CGT!!! But at $450,000, I think one might consider a GT700, an E55 AMG, and a Ferrari or Lambo G just to balance out the stable. You may even be able to throw in a nice car for the miss's and still be under the total cost of a CGT.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Porsche Fiend
Actually, I'd rather have a CGT than all those cars you mentioned. It's THAT good.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:08 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by mowblowgo
CGT is faster in quarter mile then 11.0? What is the CGT's 1/4 mile time? I had read somewhere that it did 11.3 and the Enzo was 11.1. In Vegas, the GT700 did 11.0 no? In any event, I love the CGT!!! But at $450,000, I think one might consider a GT700, an E55 AMG, and a Ferrari or Lambo G just to balance out the stable. You may even be able to throw in a nice car for the miss's and still be under the total cost of a CGT.
The CGT runs appx 11.0 which is why I said:

"on top of that, none of the "big hitters" (at least those whose cars were reliable enough to actually finish all the tests) in the latest TT shootout (including packages well above the EVO being discussed here) managed to best the CGT's 1/4 mile time."

A couple of VERY much more powerful cars were able to MEET the CGT in this one measure while it no doubt embarassed them in all others while being comfortable, reliable, and 4 yr/50k warrantied because the car is so very dialed back from it's full capabilities. This 605 hp NA engine was detuned from well above 800! Unlike "most" of the hopped up turbos and GT2s we read about from time to time "meeting" the CGT in one or so measure, the CGT won't require multiple trips to the tuner and a schitload of time investment as well as time without the car while they finish their guinea pigging on customers.

All the CGT needs is slicks and it would abuse virtually (if not all) every hopped up turbo on this and every other pcar board - in virtually if not every single category. The CGTs trap speed doesn't lie. The 11.0 1/4 mile time is merely a traction issue as it was for the 800 or 900!!! hp EVO car which turned in a similar time and trap speed if memory serves.

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-22-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Porsche Fiend
I believe the fastest EVO cars were putting out 140mph trap speeds, about 8mph faster than a CGT.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:25 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
you may have a fast tt in that case, but will you have a CGT?

Old 03-22-2005, 11:27 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Hamann7
I believe the fastest EVO cars were putting out 140mph trap speeds, about 8mph faster than a CGT.
that would be the 800+ RWHP one, eh. you remember the rest of the comments on how that car measured up in every other performance test? hint: poorly. ask chad how long such a car will run before it needs a major rebuild.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Porsche Fiend
Originally posted by Craigger
you may have a fast tt in that case, but will you have a CGT?
Read my above comments and you will find the answer to that question.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Ben... I never knew you were such a proponent of the ¼ mile prowess of the CGT. What’s your best time so far?

Mike

Old 03-23-2005, 12:04 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Uh-oh...I'm covering my eyes...

Old 03-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Paul2x is infamous around these parts
I believe when Stu had the car he ran a 11 flat at ~136mph

thats still faster than a CGT.......trap speed ...right!?

i'll answer the other Q's about the vid later...gotta run

Old 03-23-2005, 07:33 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by quartermile

1/4 mile,

I'm not talking about a stock turbo. I know one street turbo that weights about 3100 pounds and has no trouble pulling away from a GT3RS coming out of anything but a very tight cornor.

You just can't lump all the 996tt's in one basket.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:38 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ben, lj
that would be the 800+ RWHP one, eh. you remember the rest of the comments on how that car measured up in every other performance test? hint: poorly. ask chad how long such a car will run before it needs a major rebuild.
It depends on how the internals are built. Any racing motor will only be good for 30 to 60 hours of racing. My current motor for street use should last 40 to 50 thousand miles. Now if you put 800 rwhp with stock internals and run it hard with good traction............. maybe 8 to 12 thousand miles before you bend something enough to stop you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo GT700 vs. CGT!!