996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo GT700 vs. CGT!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 07:59 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ben, lj
chad, the question was whether the "the CGT just shut down or did the EVO really shoot past it some 3-4 car lengths?". i don't think there is ANY speed from which the EVO will "shoot past it some 3-4 car lengths". even a "gradual pulling away" by 3-4 car lengths is tough to believe. "shoot past" 3-4 car lengths is a fairy tale.

on top of that, none of the "big hitters" (at least those whose cars were reliable enough to actually finish all the tests) in the latest TT shootout (including packages well above the EVO being discussed here) managed to best the CGT's 1/4 mile time. it would be a good idea to keep these hopped up turbos away from the CGT in it's venue (ie: the track) cause a very healthy dose of embarassment would be bestowed upon them. further with all the problems we hear about (your's included) like buddy's, fred's, etc, i think it probably a good idea not to run these hopped up turbos against the stock CGT for very long.
Ben,

Nothing with less than 100 more hp is going to instantly shoot 4 car lenghts past the other car. Chalk that up to driver error.

Trying to compare different cars on different days with different temps and humidity is a waste of time. The numbers will never be comparable. KA in the magazine article did 126 mph on a 104 degree day. Sometime later she turned a number well past 140.

But really talk is cheap. I know we are behind schedule, but if there is any CGT owner out there that would like to do a comparison versus KA this summer, just let me know. There really would be no shame in losing (as they are both great cars) and it would put alot of doubts to rest. Straight line and a track would be fine by me.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by Zippy
Hey Ben... I never knew you were such a proponent of the ¼ mile prowess of the CGT. What’s your best time so far?

Mike
you're kidding?

Old 03-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Paul2x
I believe when Stu had the car he ran a 11 flat at ~136mph

thats still faster than a CGT.......trap speed ...right!?

i'll answer the other Q's about the vid later...gotta run
yep, a whole 4 mph! wow! watch out for those corners cause CGT is going to give it an enema if the stu car is actually even fully running properly and hasn't been in for more "tuning" (er: service).

Old 03-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by cjv
It depends on how the internals are built. Any racing motor will only be good for 30 to 60 hours of racing. My current motor for street use should last 40 to 50 thousand miles. Now if you put 800 rwhp with stock internals and run it hard with good traction............. maybe 8 to 12 thousand miles before you bend something enough to stop you.
yes, it will be interesting to see the durability of EVO's first guinea pig 800+ RWHP experiment. hopefully they will be more successful with theirs than you were with yours. but i think you know the odds are against them.

as well, what most hopped up turbo owners have come to find out after riding in or driving a CGT is that you can put 14 mil RWHP into a hopped up turbo and you still have nothing but a boring **** hopped up turbo when compared with the CGT. the CGT is just in another league of sensory imput deliverance.

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-23-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by cjv
But really talk is cheap. I know we are behind schedule, but if there is any CGT owner out there that would like to do a comparison versus KA this summer, just let me know. There really would be no shame in losing (as they are both great cars) and it would put alot of doubts to rest. Straight line and a track would be fine by me.
I thought the car was going to be ready last November? How'd they end up moving (this) date out on you by more than 1/2 a year?

What do you call a car that spends well under 10% of it's time on the road? My guess is not a street car because street cars can be found on the street (where the CGT can be found 365 days/year). No offense to you intended as I know you are just a car guy who has plenty of cars and is just having fun. It's just KA is not the same kind of car the CGT is because the CGT runs all the time while meeting all emissions laws and being available to drive any time an owner chooses.

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-23-2005 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:56 AM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
Ben, All good points and any one who knows Porsche knows how amazing your car is...especially on the track. It is simply too rich for most budgets, therefore modded TT's are a great alternative to mimic what you have purchased stock. Comparisons between these two really should not even be made. This board has mostly been about the cool things that owners are doing to their cars to make them more enjoyable.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:59 AM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Damn Ben ... why all the smack against "Hopped Up Turbos". There is a large number of us on this forum who actually like our "Hopped Up Turbos". A little condesending don't you think?

I am sure the CGT is awsome. I don't think anyone here said it was anything else. A video gets posted of a modified Turbo passing a CGT and you get all bent out of shape and start bashing on the "Hopped Up" cars. I am sure there are modified 996 TTs that can out accelerate a CGT. There are Civics that can do that too ... so what. There is always something faster.

I guess once you buy a CGT you get a new attitude along with it.

Too Bad ... You are begining to sound like Allan Lambo

Old 03-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by MANA
Damn Ben ... why all the smack against "Hopped Up Turbos". There is a large number of us on this forum who actually like our "Hopped Up Turbos". A little condesending don't you think?

I am sure the CGT is awsome. I don't think anyone here said it was anything else. A video gets posted of a modified Turbo passing a CGT and you get all bent out of shape and start bashing on the "Hopped Up" cars. I am sure there are modified 996 TTs that can out accelerate a CGT. There are Civics that can do that too ... so what. There is always something faster.

I guess once you buy a CGT you get a new attitude along with it.

Too Bad ... You are begining to sound like Allan Lambo
i'm sorry if i was condesending. these comparisons though do get old though. as mowblowgo said, "comparisons between these two really should not even be made."

you have to admit, if guys in their "hopped up Civics" running 1/4 mile times well quicker than stock or hopped up turbos posted this horseschit, you (and the rest of us) would probably be the ones the Civic guys would think was being condesending with the responses that would no doubt be generated.

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-23-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I would actually just ignore the Civic guy and move on.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by MANA
I would actually just ignore the Civic guy and move on.
fair enough and again sorry if i got defensive enough to be condesending.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:30 AM
Dabum is infamous around these parts
Where is part 2 damnit!

Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
I thought the car was going to be ready last November? How'd they end up moving (this) date out on you by more than 1/2 a year?

What do you call a car that spends well under 10% of it's time on the road? My guess is not a street car because street cars can be found on the street (where the CGT can be found 365 days/year). No offense to you intended as I know you are just a car guy who has plenty of cars and is just having fun. It's just KA is not the same kind of car the CGT is because the CGT runs all the time while meeting all emissions laws and being available to drive any time an owner chooses.
Ben,

You are correct. Killer Angel was suppose to be finished in Nov. 04. I have explained it in cjv/ s car go, but for those who haven't read it. We assumed the dimensions of the turbo, GT3, GT3 Cup and GT3 RS were the same with the exception of journal width of crank on GT3's and valve widths of GT3's. Well come to find out, there is alot more that is different. There is even bigger differences between the 2000-02 GT3 Cups and 2003,04 and 05 Cups. We had to order the parts just to obtain the measurements. This included valves, pistons, lifters, rods, cranks and cam housings etc. This is all behind us now at the expense of about six months.

Once this motor is completed, she will be an everyday driver if we wanted. Although there would be some hassels. I wouldn't call the CGT an everyday day driver either. Just try parking it in a shopping center, hotel or anywhere for a day. Let alone leaving it out on the street at night. It has a hard time taking certain road bumps or entering many driveways. I not saying this is bad, but let's be honest, it's not an everyday driver.

KA will also meet the emmission laws with the nitrous bottle out. If we didn't push past 1.3-1.4 bar, the way she is being built, she would last a lifetime without a rebuild.

Now to the CGT. I love the car. I will have one in good time. It's just I learned with my 996tt to wait for the prices to drop, which they are currently doing. I also intend to mod the CGT. Given the fact we we have to custom make most of the parts, my guess is it will take 2 to 2-1/2 years. But like KA, when she is done.

Last edited by cjv; 03-23-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:41 AM
fair enough and again sorry if i got defensive enough to be condesending.
I appreciate that. Your CGT is Bad ***!!! If I wanted to consolidate my cars and have one toy ... the CGT would be it. Make mine Yellow ...

Old 03-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Ben can be as condescending as he wants, really. I don't even think he was being condescending in the first place.

He's got a freakin' CGT, fellas. No modded Turbo can begin to approach the greatness of the CGT. It's a kit car in comparison. The CGT IS rocket science. A modded Turbo that goes plenty quick is more kit car... like growing bacteria in a petri dish at home.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Kev
Kev is infamous around these parts
I also intend to mod the CGT. Given the fact we we have to custom make most of the parts, my guess is it will take 2 to 2-1/2 years. But like KA, when she is done.
Chad,

I can't wait for this project.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo GT700 vs. CGT!!