996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evo GT700 vs. CGT!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:05 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Benjamin Choi
A modded Turbo that goes plenty quick is more kit car... like growing bacteria in a petri dish at home.
I'll call the fire department

Old 03-23-2005, 10:20 AM
mowblowgo is infamous around these parts
CJV, what is with this thing called KA??? I have heard that expression for the year that I have been checking out 6 speed. "she"??? what does that mean?? It seems that the older I get, the better that car was. Who names a car??? Does this car run? It just seems like an awful lot of boasts for a car on a garage floor somewhere. I normally would't bring this up but with all the smack talk going on I felt it appropriate. Please take this as light hearted as it is meant.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:33 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by rockitman
I'll call the fire department

Old 03-23-2005, 10:36 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by mowblowgo
CJV, what is with this thing called KA???
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...&threadid=1112

Old 03-23-2005, 10:50 AM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
But really talk is cheap. I know we are behind schedule, but if there is any CGT owner out there that would like to do a comparison versus KA this summer, just let me know. There really would be no shame in losing (as they are both great cars) and it would put alot of doubts to rest. Straight line and a track would be fine by me. [/B]

CJV although I respect your effort to extract so much power out of a TT, from personal experience, I can tell you are totally clueless regarding the CGT capability. A stock GT3 will beat the KA around the track with the right driver. CGT will eat the KA alive !!!

You will be wasting your money on modding a CGT too because it can't be modded. The single fault with the it is not lack of power, but excess weight -- 700lbs more than a McLaren F1. If you want a "street car" that beats the CGT ... you need one of these ... faster by 15 second on Nordschleife using only 200hp.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by quartermile
You will be wasting your money on modding a CGT too because it can't be modded. The single fault with the it is not lack of power, but excess weight -- 700lbs more than a McLaren F1. If you want a "street car" that beats the CGT ... you need one of these ... faster by 15 second on Nordschleife using only 200hp.

actually the CGT did a 7:28 vs. the Donkey car doing 7:18, but beat the CGT the Donkey car did. fwiw, the single "fault" if you want to call it that, i prefer weakest link, is the tires. slicks on the CGT would produce insane performance without changing another thing. the chassis and brakes are capable of so much more than the stock tires allow.

and fwiw, be cool to chad (cjv). he is a real car enthusiast who just happens to have a crapload of cars and money and therefore is the perfect person to enjoy playing with a project car like KA. he has gone places tuningwise with that car few if any other turners have ventured. as a result, i have to think he has gained a heck of a lot of knowledge in the process.

lastly, the CGT likely can be modded (afterall it is a detuned race car) but there will be a lot of street driveability, reliability and maintenance compromises as a result. it's the first sports car i've ever bought that right out of the box, needs nothing besides more serious tires. then again, with the 7:28 being acheived on these tires, it's hard to argue better driving skills wouldn't come well before new tires

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-23-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 PM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
If you want a "street car" that beats the CGT ... you need one of these ... faster by 15 second on Nordschleife using only 200hp.
Yep, good point, but it's got to be one of the homliest-looking sportscars on any road. There are few current GT's that look that bugly IMO. The CGT is such a beautiful design that performs, it's just pretty damned amazing to see such a car for sale from any automaker. Usually there are compromises made before a production concept hits pavement, and in the case of CGT, I don't see any. It's the finest Porsche ever, if not the finest OE sports car ever.

No argument that one can upgrade an already respectable 911 to incredible power and handling levels, and save some serious dough versus a CGT. Also no argument that there are some amazing performers (Ariel Atom, Donker, Radical, etc...) that compete w/the CGT on track.

With the right platform, and enough money and engineering thrown at it, the performance bar for will continue to rise for upgraded sports cars. That CGT has just presented a combination of style, comfort, performance, versatility and exclusivity that has never been achieved previously in OE form IMO. Thank goodness Porsche developed this car; it's renewed my confidence in their performance commitment amidst short-sighted marketing and manufacturing decisions made of late.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Craigger is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Hamann7
Read my above comments and you will find the answer to that question.
I was commenting on Moblowgo and his multiple cars including a turbo as oppiosed to a CGT...

and i agree with your thoughs btw

Old 03-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Super D
Yep, good point, but it's got to be one of the homliest-looking sportscars on any road. There are few current GT's that look that bugly IMO. The CGT is such a beautiful design that performs, it's just pretty damned amazing to see such a car for sale from any automaker. Usually there are compromises made before a production concept hits pavement, and in the case of CGT, I don't see any. It's the finest Porsche ever, if not the finest OE sports car ever.

No argument that one can upgrade an already respectable 911 to incredible power and handling levels, and save some serious dough versus a CGT. Also no argument that there are some amazing performers (Ariel Atom, Donker, Radical, etc...) that compete w/the CGT on track.

With the right platform, and enough money and engineering thrown at it, the performance bar for will continue to rise for upgraded sports cars. That CGT has just presented a combination of style, comfort, performance, versatility and exclusivity that has never been achieved previously in OE form IMO. Thank goodness Porsche developed this car; it's renewed my confidence in their performance commitment amidst short-sighted marketing and manufacturing decisions made of late.
Yeah Dave and I missed where Michael referred to the Donkey car as a street car. It sure isn't street legal in the US. That thing looks like a death trap - especially if it were to brawl with an SUV. It's amazing what happens to weight and therefore performance when you are burdened with keeping occupants alive in the US. Incidentally, if I'm not mistaken, the photo of the actual Donkey car that set the record showed it to be wearing slicks!

Last edited by ben, lj; 03-23-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
alamein is infamous around these parts
A stock GT3 will beat the KA around the track with the right driver.
and what are you basing this on

Old 03-23-2005, 02:43 PM
wantone is infamous around these parts
1/4 mile drags are for kids. 0-60 in reverse is where it's at

Old 03-23-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
It's laughable that the guy even brought up that ugly POS, good for nothing but going fast on tracks and how many times in a month do you get to even extract that kind of performance type deal.

Do you want to make an impression or do you want to make the RIGHT impression.

Something is always utterly lacking when it comes down to going really, really fast. Cars like the CGT have it all.

So while that ugly POS may go faster... it surely will never sound as good, look as good, and feel as good as the CGT.

And I ain't showing no skills here by agruing. CGT is in the stratosphere of automotive engineering. We're talking upper echelon where the Enzos, Paganis, and McLarens play.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
quartermile has a spectacular aura aboutquartermile has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by alamein
and what are you basing this on
OK, to be fair, I don't know what CJV's specs are. I seem to remeber all the fuss was about this piston and that rod and this boost ... so presumably it's a regular TT with a modded motor. That's the basis for my assumption.

If he started with a GT2 went to CF doors, fenders, roof, etc. ripped out the interior, upgraded to Motons, and is running slicks, he MIGHT be able to run with the CGT on the track. The point is a garden variety TT at some 3600lbs will never run with a CGT on the track even if it had 2000hp.

Ben I think the Donker is street legal in Europe, wasn't that the point? I mean there is a long list of race cars that would eat the CGT alive. You can easily have a 1400lbs, 800hp monster on slicks.

Last edited by quartermile; 03-23-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:18 PM
wantone is infamous around these parts
Not to go off on a tangent, but there's some really interesting ideas floating around here. Having read all the posts above there appears to be a lot of talk about cars capable of outrunning the CGT if only this was on there or that was on there... This brings a very interesting incident I'd like to share with you about my friend who raced his SL65 with another SL600 just two nights ago. On the launch the SL600 took the SL65 2 out of 2 runs but 3 seconds later, the SL65 slowly (not quickly) passes the SL600. On paper the SL65's performance figures outperforms the SL600. So why the losses on the launch? We later found out the tires simply could not handle the mighty torque of the SL65. So just imagine, we really have no idea of how fast the CGT really is or any of these modded 996s do we? Shave off 300lbs here and add better tires there and now we have different times!!! WOW! Endless!

Old 03-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
OK, to be fair, I don't know what CJV's specs are. ... so presumably it's a regular TT with a modded motor. That's the basis for my assumption.
My bet is that you've made better presumptions.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evo GT700 vs. CGT!!