996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 Clutch/Slave conversion question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Good idea...I will need to find a shop in the MD/DC/VA area that can do this conversion...perhaps AT Speed Motorports or TPC or there is another one in VA...

if the gt2 conversion takes care fo the accumulator issue althogether and gives a better drivability to the car that may be the way to go...it would cost more up front but would be better in the long run perhaps...

Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
There are a few people in the DC area that have done this. Go to Renntrack and the information is front and center. It's a lot of money from my perspective.

I may do this in the future, but already have a replacement slave and accumulator on hand that need to be installed.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:26 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deckman
There are a few people in the DC area that have done this. Go to Renntrack and the information is front and center. It's a lot of money from my perspective.

I may do this in the future, but already have a replacement slave and accumulator on hand that need to be installed.
what is Renntrack? Who are you getting to install your replacement slave and accumulator?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:32 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
if the gt2 conversion takes care fo the accumulator issue althogether and gives a better drivability to the car that may be the way to go...it would cost more up front but would be better in the long run perhaps...
It does and yes it's better in the long run.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM

I just talked to At Speed and replied to a PM from Gunther...he should have some info...lets see if the few of us could work together to potentially get this done

Old 02-10-2011, 06:56 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
You can build your own gt2 conversion for less than $500. I wrote a massive post about parts needed and instructions on how to do it.
Search
Built and installed my own gt2 conversion with instructions
All the info is there

Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM

I should have a price for you and Gunther soon... I am trying to get a group rate for the 3 of us...PM me for details.. thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 06:53 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Well, I got the car back last night. Guys who are wondering if you should do this, if you have strong legs then this is a no brainer. How does it feel? I would say 2 times as much force is required to depress the clutch now, so a bit stiffer, but still not a problem. How it engages? Much lower and as others have said, totally predictable. I can ease into it now and not have to rev my engine excessively to avoid lugging it. I have had 2 chances to drive the car thus far. First was last night when I picked it up. It was rush hour traffic here in Portland, had to drive from downtown out to my place in the burbs. We don't have LA style stop and go traffic, but it gets backed up and lots of elevation changes. It was not a problem, I killed it after stopping at the first stop sign when leaving the shop. Haven't had a problem since then. Took it out for another drive this afternoon just to get another feel for it, even better, I have a feeling that 3 or 4 more drives into it I wont even notice the extra stiffness and the benefit of having the proper feel of the engagement is IMO priceless. I am so glad I performed this mod, anyone with a 6 speed, strong legs, and enjoys driving their car should seriously consider it, I know you will not regret it. Really, I mean that. I agree with everyone that has said this is how the car should have come from the factory, it really should have.

I'll give some more updates as I get more chances to drive the car, but for now I just want to thank everyone that had a hand in lending advice and feedback to me before I took the plunge, and to anyone thinking about it, cough up the $2k and do it, you will not regret it: )

Justin

Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwei
Well, I got the car back last night. Guys who are wondering if you should do this, if you have strong legs then this is a no brainer. How does it feel? I would say 2 times as much force is required to depress the clutch now, so a bit stiffer, but still not a problem. How it engages? Much lower and as others have said, totally predictable. I can ease into it now and not have to rev my engine excessively to avoid lugging it. I have had 2 chances to drive the car thus far. First was last night when I picked it up. It was rush hour traffic here in Portland, had to drive from downtown out to my place in the burbs. We don't have LA style stop and go traffic, but it gets backed up and lots of elevation changes. It was not a problem, I killed it after stopping at the first stop sign when leaving the shop. Haven't had a problem since then. Took it out for another drive this afternoon just to get another feel for it, even better, I have a feeling that 3 or 4 more drives into it I wont even notice the extra stiffness and the benefit of having the proper feel of the engagement is IMO priceless. I am so glad I performed this mod, anyone with a 6 speed, strong legs, and enjoys driving their car should seriously consider it, I know you will not regret it. Really, I mean that. I agree with everyone that has said this is how the car should have come from the factory, it really should have.

I'll give some more updates as I get more chances to drive the car, but for now I just want to thank everyone that had a hand in lending advice and feedback to me before I took the plunge, and to anyone thinking about it, cough up the $2k and do it, you will not regret it: )

Justin
Spot on assessment. Did you get a new clutch as well or just the slave conversion?
I've also noticed pedal effort decreases as the car warms up. Dunno if that is actually the case or my leg just gets used to it

Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bonehead
Spot on assessment. Did you get a new clutch as well or just the slave conversion?
I've also noticed pedal effort decreases as the car warms up. Dunno if that is actually the case or my leg just gets used to it
I'll have to take it for another spin or two to see if the pedal stiffness decreases, I didn't notice it in the two drives i took, but wasn't looking for it, really its not even a big deal at its stiffest. If you sit in the car and depress it you might say to yourself that it is very stiff, when driving though it feels natural...

I did the slave conversion, along with GT2/tiptronic PS Pump and Reservoir. I avoided having to cut lines (yay) but apparently there are two other lines that feed from the manual PS reservoir that the GT2 version does not have. They are hard lines, and my mechanic just pushed them out of the way behind the large hose that connects on the right side of the res. If I had realized those would not be utelized either, I would have asked them to see about removing them if they could, but no worries, they are causing no harm where they are. As for my clutch itself, I already have a Sachs racing clutch and lightweight flywheel, so I am all set there and didn't have to do any sort of an upgrade. If anything I would think the upgraded clutch is why I perceive it to be 2x as tough when some people are saying it is only 30% stronger.

Justin

Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Nicely done Justin, it must be your upgraded clutch making it heavier mine I would say is only 15% heavier if that over stock.
But I still have the stock clutch in mine so possible that is the difference.
Told ya it was better

Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwei
I'll have to take it for another spin or two to see if the pedal stiffness decreases, I didn't notice it in the two drives i took, but wasn't looking for it, really its not even a big deal at its stiffest. If you sit in the car and depress it you might say to yourself that it is very stiff, when driving though it feels natural...

I did the slave conversion, along with GT2/tiptronic PS Pump and Reservoir. I avoided having to cut lines (yay) but apparently there are two other lines that feed from the manual PS reservoir that the GT2 version does not have. They are hard lines, and my mechanic just pushed them out of the way behind the large hose that connects on the right side of the res. If I had realized those would not be utelized either, I would have asked them to see about removing them if they could, but no worries, they are causing no harm where they are. As for my clutch itself, I already have a Sachs racing clutch and lightweight flywheel, so I am all set there and didn't have to do any sort of an upgrade. If anything I would think the upgraded clutch is why I perceive it to be 2x as tough when some people are saying it is only 30% stronger.

Justin
Only reason I ask about a new clutch is my engagement point also dropped significantly closer to the floor after I did the slave conversion AND switched to a Sachs Stage III clutch. I thought it was more a factor of the new clutch, but I dunno.
As for effort, I would definitely say it requires AT LEAST 2x the effort if not more so.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by bonehead
Only reason I ask about a new clutch is my engagement point also dropped significantly closer to the floor after I did the slave conversion AND switched to a Sachs Stage III clutch. I thought it was more a factor of the new clutch, but I dunno.
As for effort, I would definitely say it requires AT LEAST 2x the effort if not more so.
I should have depress the clutch of the GT2 I sat in the other day...

Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Looks like the clutch and flywheel you have does make some sort of difference on how the conversion will fell if that's the case...

I have a cup car clutch and lightweight flywheel...wonder how that will feel with the conversion??? anyone have a similar setup?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
bsprad is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sunir
Good idea...I will need to find a shop in the MD/DC/VA area that can do this conversion...perhaps AT Speed Motorports or TPC or there is another one in VA...

I'm scheduled to have the conversion done by At Speed on 03/01. I pieced the kit together myself and saved hundreds

For those of you considering this mod, it also appears to fix the whine from the power steering reservoir. That fix alone is ~$600 in parts. I'll post back after the mod and let you guys know if it worked for me. I am currently getting the whine and I hope this takes care of it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Clutch/Slave conversion question