996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 Clutch/Slave conversion question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:03 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
GT2 Clutch/Slave conversion question

I am in the process of having some work done to my TT and I am looking to have this mod done. I have a quick question for those that have done it. To give me an idea of how heavy my clutch will be once the mod is performed (planning on using the EVOMS kit), my shop and I de-pressurized the clutch accumulator with the car off, and with the car still off we tested the clutch feel with basically no assist. Guys in the know and have experience with this mod, is this test reflective of what the final feel of it would be after going forward with this mod?

Does anyone know of anyone in the Portland OR area with a GT2/3 who would not mind me sitting in their car and testing the clutch?

Thanks much for any feedback you guys can provide!

Justin

Old 01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Justin, I'm not sure if that test is reflective of reality. Moreover, I've heard the gt2/3 cars don't feel the same as a modded 996tt. I can tell you this, I'm NOT a fan of stiff clutches, but when I had mine done I was basically used to it within a day. I highly recommend the mod.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:29 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I agree you easily get used to it and the pay back in being able to feel the contact point is well worth the minor slightly heavier feel.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Thanks guys, I have yet to hear from an unhappy person who has performed this mod. Aside from the extra force required to depress, sounds like its a positive change all around. Good to have your feedback!

Old 01-16-2011, 07:52 PM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
+3 on the GT2 Slave convert. The very first time I pressed the clutch, I thought wow, this is harder, but that thought and sensation was gone by the time I got the car home from the shop. It's really not a big deal and the feel IS MUCH better.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 AM
targa72e is infamous around these parts
I have the gt2 conversion and love it. While the clutch is harder to push it is not what i would call heavy. You also change the helper spring on the clutch pedal to the gt2 spring which make a big difference. I dont think the clutch is heavier than my 78SC or 91 964 was. The stock turbo clutch feel was too light in my opinion.

john

Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 AM
bsprad is infamous around these parts
Are those of you that converted also happy with the clutch engagement point? I remember reading that some find it very high.

Sorry OP if this steers conversation the wrong way, but I think both the stiffness and engagement are important. I have all of the parts for the conversion in hand, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 AM
jimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the roughjimmy k is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bsprad
Are those of you that converted also happy with the clutch engagement point? I remember reading that some find it very high.

Sorry OP if this steers conversation the wrong way, but I think both the stiffness and engagement are important. I have all of the parts for the conversion in hand, but I haven't pulled the trigger.

My engagement point it quite low, which I've gotten used to. But in order to start the car, I have to press the clutch to the floor and then muscle it like another inch to get that switch to click and be able to start the engine. I've called EVOMS about it, but haven't heard anything back from Ian.

Others have told me to get a longer pin of some sort. I'm just gonna live with it for now. On the bright side, I guess this makes it a little harder for thieves to steal her.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kwei
I am in the process of having some work done to my TT and I am looking to have this mod done.
Where are you getting the work done in Portland?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Matrix Integrated.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Carbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond reputeCarbon has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kwei
Matrix Integrated.
Oh nice. They're well regarded on the Audi forums, but I haven't heard much chatter on 6speed about them. Will probably be my go-to shop for mods in a few months too. Let me know about your experience with them when you're done.

Last edited by Carbon; 01-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Good to hear, they are great people. Very service oriented and are very good at communicating with the customer. Talk to Jeremy or Justin over there. You will not be disappointed.

Regarding my experience, I've been using them for the last 8 or 9 years, started out with my M3 and evolved to the TT: )

Old 02-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Car is in the shop getting some broken bits fixed and this mod done, looking forward to getting it back and updating with a report. Will keep you all posted. Thanks everyone for all the great input. Especially want to throw thank yous to Gearhead and Tbarcello, thanks for the help guys!

Justin

Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
No problem Justin, awaiting your impressions on the maiden voyage.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Scott, you might get a call from me tomorrow while I am doing the hose modification. Last minute questions and all: )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Clutch/Slave conversion question