996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Falken’s 615

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Falken’s 615

I missed out on the deal for the tires but I bought some from a third party source. Yesterday was my first time driving on them and wow, not a bad tire at all. For the money it is very nice. I didn’t find it to have much road noise; it has a pretty stiff sidewall. The tire really has a lot of lateral grip but when it gives out, it does so in a very progressive manner that you can control a nice slide. When driving on the edge of lateral grip and you put your foot down coming out of the turn, that’s where it lacks the grip to really get you out of the turn at 100% forward mechanical grip. It’s not that bad unless you are doing time trials at the track. Maybe I’m just use to R comps tires. This is my first time running a non R comp tire in 2 years. Overall I’m impressed, I’m glad I got my hands on a few sets.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Durango Kid has a spectacular aura aboutDurango Kid has a spectacular aura about
I installed a set recently. Really impressed. It's been raining in Austin and the tire has decent wet grip which I was concerned about. I haven't taken it to Driveway Austin yet, but will update once I do.

They are noticeably smoother and quieter than the PZeros, but the Pirellis were toast.

I was amused by how high the tires stacked.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:20 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I didn't think these came in TT sizes. What sizes are you running? I used to track these tires on my STI and they were great.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I didn't think these came in TT sizes. What sizes are you running? I used to track these tires on my STI and they were great.
GT2 tire sizes. 235/40/18 and 315/30/18.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TekNiC3
GT2 tire sizes. 235/40/18 and 315/30/18.
Nice! I think that will be my next set of tires this spring. Nice wheels! I have them for a winter set in the dark matte graphite.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Nice! I think that will be my next set of tires this spring. Nice wheels! I have them for a winter set in the dark matte graphite.
Yeah. Pretty nice wheels.

Wish they had a little concaveness to them though.

And regarding the Falken 615's, they were quieter the 1st day than they are now. Now I can hear a little more tire noise on the freeways. But the Fabspeed exhaust I have covers up the tire noise pretty well.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Go with 245s up front if you get the 315's

Originally Posted by TekNiC3
Yeah. Pretty nice wheels.

Wish they had a little concaveness to them though.

And regarding the Falken 615's, they were quieter the 1st day than they are now. Now I can hear a little more tire noise on the freeways. But the Fabspeed exhaust I have covers up the tire noise pretty well.
It's expected. Sport car and a performance tire but it's quiet compare to other performance tires, 2nd quites one from all of them i have tried.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Go with 245s up front if you get the 315's.
Isn't the 235/40 a better match for the 315/30? They are nearly exact in diameter. The 245 is a little bigger.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
I missed out on the deal for the tires but I bought some from a third party source. Yesterday was my first time driving on them and wow, not a bad tire at all. For the money it is very nice. I didn’t find it to have much road noise; it has a pretty stiff sidewall. The tire really has a lot of lateral grip but when it gives out, it does so in a very progressive manner that you can control a nice slide. When driving on the edge of lateral grip and you put your foot down coming out of the turn, that’s where it lacks the grip to really get you out of the turn at 100% forward mechanical grip. It’s not that bad unless you are doing time trials at the track. Maybe I’m just use to R comps tires. This is my first time running a non R comp tire in 2 years. Overall I’m impressed, I’m glad I got my hands on a few sets.
Good to hear! I got a couple of sets as well. Did you mount the 315/30/18s on 11" or 12" ?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
i plan to use the 315's on my stock 11" twists! i wonder if i will need spacers

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Mike,
Spacers have not much to do with the tires and much to do with the wheel (rim) offsets. You just wanted to look more aggressive.

edited: I see what you meant, the rubber may rub against the inside wall.

Last edited by MY996TT; 01-17-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
I had a set of these on my Boxster S and they were great autocrossing and at the track. They seemed to excel on wet pavement. When they get hot, like last session of the day, they would get kind of a greasy feel on the track. You could feel them starting to loose holding ability. I'd still get them though and would have put them on my tt but I didn't know they had sizes to fit.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by z06801
Good to hear! I got a couple of sets as well. Did you mount the 315/30/18s on 11" or 12" ?
Mounted to a 12''. Falkens webpage states it is best to mount to arim that is 10.5 to 11.5. I can see why. I have a bit of a stretch with a 12''

Originally Posted by porka
i plan to use the 315's on my stock 11" twists! i wonder if i will need spacers
I think you will need a slight spacer but it will fill the 11'' very nice.

Originally Posted by MY996TT
Mike,
Spacers have not much to do with the tires and much to do with the wheel (rim) offsets. You just wanted to look more aggressive.

edited: I see what you meant, the rubber may rub against the inside wall.
Yup it may rub against the inside wall. Your car has the spacers so you wouldnt have this issue from what I could tell. Btw, any pictures of your car with it's latest mod ? hehehe how do you like them ?

Originally Posted by Steve01tt
I had a set of these on my Boxster S and they were great autocrossing and at the track. They seemed to excel on wet pavement. When they get hot, like last session of the day, they would get kind of a greasy feel on the track. You could feel them starting to loose holding ability. I'd still get them though and would have put them on my tt but I didn't know they had sizes to fit.
No track time yet on these but they do feel like a fun tire! It's just a street tire imo.

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 01-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Durango Kid
I installed a set recently. Really impressed. It's been raining in Austin and the tire has decent wet grip which I was concerned about. I haven't taken it to Driveway Austin yet, but will update once I do.

They are noticeably smoother and quieter than the PZeros, but the Pirellis were toast.

I was amused by how high the tires stacked.

The tires are taller than you!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Yup it may rub against the inside wall. Your car has the spacers so you wouldnt have this issue from what I could tell. Btw, any pictures of your car with it's latest mod ? hehehe how do you like them ?
hehe, I love it, it looks cool and yet functional. I'll post some pics tonight.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Falken’s 615