996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997SSK add stress to tranny internals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 AM
polar3 is infamous around these partspolar3 is infamous around these parts
997SSK add stress to tranny internals?

I'm thinking about installing the OEM 997SSK from suncoast and wanted to know if this would add stress to the tranny internals. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
As we all know by now, the synchros are the weak spot of this tranny. I have heard (yeah I know, more hearsay) that a short throw shifter CAN (not necessarily does) add more stress to the synchros, as the short throw doesn't allow enough time for the synchros to slow down to engage the gears? That being said, most people have a short throw shifter and have no issues, but likely don't dragrace every weekend or "bang" gears every time they drive. I do think however that repeated slamming between gears with a short throw shifter will have a life diminishing effect on the synchros. Maybe some tranny experts can chime in?

Old 01-18-2011, 12:27 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI guys,No I do not think with the Porsche one Because Porsche will only warranty the trans ,if it fails,with ONLY there shifter in it.Also,try to drive a car with one in it,as I did before I took my B+M out,its smooth and well worth the pleasure.I have had 3 996's ,tryed a few other short shifters and there is NO comparision.You ought to check out the other forums on this that have been posted recently......Hope this helps......

Old 01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
Guys, I am no transmission expert (not trying to come off as one) but I do not think Porsche would release a short shift console if it would ruin your syncros or transmission in any way. The part has a Porsche Factory Warranty of 2 years unlimited mileage and can be taken to any authorized Porsche dealership.

As you can see from the many reviews on this forum, this upgrade really changes your driving experience. Faster, shorter, more direct shifts really put a big grin on anyones face.

Having said that! We do have plenty of these in stock and if you have any questions please feel free to give us a shout.

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
zeuslax is infamous around these parts
Guys- I just put one of these Suncoast short shifters on my Turbo S today. Huge difference for the better. The stock 996 shifter had one of the longest throws of any sports car I have owned. The 997SSK is as good as you have probably already read from many other posters. This is a no-brainer upgrade.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Just get it... You and your car will like it!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
It's all about the driver. Even with the stock shifter, if he wants to, the driver can shift faster than the synchros can synchronize. With a short shifter, the driver gains more of a mechanical advantage. Short shift kits don't hurt synchros, drivers who fail to show mechanical empathy hurt synchros. Don't shift too quickly and no matter what shifter you have in there and you shouldn't have an issue.

Regards,

Matt