996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Soooo...a pair of Tial 3071 showed to my door today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Soooo...a pair of Tial 3071 showed to my door today!

Used set (7000km approximately).

I'm saving to buy IC's, intake piping, fueling stuff and a clutch.

I will use this thread as a "diary" of my modding journey, and I will update it every time I got something new.

Well, for now I only have turbos...

Name:  20101001925.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  189.2 KB

Name:  20101001926.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  195.6 KB

Name:  20101001927.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  65.7 KB

Name:  20101001930.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  20101001934.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  159.7 KB

Of course I will discuss about the "project" with my tuner, but I'd like to know your opinions guys anyway..

So, as for supporting mods, given that I don't want to do things more than once, what do you think about this list of parts:

- Sachs 999 pressure plate with either an organic disc or a sintered metallic one.

- INtake piping: either Markski or Speedtech ones. I know they are very important, but would you say "necessary"?

- Intercoolers: I'm tempted to give a try to the 997.2 IC's but I'm not 100% convinced about this...they tempt me a lot.

- Fueling: well I still need to talk to EPL actually, but I'm sure injectors are mendatory; I don't know honestly if the stock pump in enough though.

- Put my front wheel drive back on...I'm not going to upgrade the suspension for now, and I feel that any more power than the current flash/exhaust will be too much for the stock susp. on RWD without an LSD.

I will be running 93oct fuel, at least until I find some methanol sources around here. I could buy ethanol but I don't think it would work as well as meth cause it is said to be more aggressive on plastic and rubber components..
Race gas is out of the options list at 24$/gallon.

Any suggestions? Something you would do (or have done) differently or in addition to the aforementioned mods?

Last edited by emadelta86; 01-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Hi Emanuele!
Congrats on the turbos!! They look great!!

Before you put on the turbos, I would do the injectors and probably the clutch. Stock clutch wont last any time with GT30s! Be sure clutch can hold more power than you ever plan to add. The labor is a PITA and is expensive. A gt2 slave or LWFW are also a considerations while the tranny is out.The stock fuel pump is good to about 750 whp, if I recall correctly so you are ok there unless you max the turbos out on race gas. Ask your tuner about stock fuel lines. I was told they are pretty small.

Intake piping is a must with GT30s. You are wasting your time trying to suck enough air for those monsters through the crappy stock piping. You will loose alot of power up top if you dont do piping and your dyno will be very peaky. ICs are also needed for GT30s. You need them for breathing as much as cooling. I would not get the GT2-RS coolers because they might not pass air through fast enough for your turbos.

You also probably need some kind of MAF solution besides the stock one. A hitachi would be adequate and the less expensive of the options,imo.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MBailey
Hi Emanuele!
Congrats on the turbos!! They look great!!

Before you put on the turbos, I would do the injectors and probably the clutch. Stock clutch wont last any time with GT30s! Be sure clutch can hold more power than you ever plan to add. The labor is a PITA and is expensive. A gt2 slave or LWFW are also a considerations while the tranny is out.The stock fuel pump is good to about 750 whp, if I recall correctly so you are ok there unless you max the turbos out on race gas. Ask your tuner about stock fuel lines. I was told they are pretty small.

Intake piping is a must with GT30s. You are wasting your time trying to suck enough air for those monsters through the crappy stock piping. You will loose alot of power up top if you dont do piping and your dyno will be very peaky. ICs are also needed for GT30s. You need them for breathing as much as cooling. I would not get the GT2-RS coolers because they might not pass air through fast enough for your turbos.

You also probably need some kind of MAF solution besides the stock one. A hitachi would be adequate and the less expensive of the options,imo.
Thank you Mike!

I won't touch a single bolt on the car until I have ALL the stuff it's needed to do the job, so, it may take some time to collect all the parts, but I will wait patiently..

What IC's have you got on your car?

I'll seriously look into intake piping. You are right, since I'll have the tranny out it would be foolish not to do them..

Last edited by emadelta86; 01-18-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Thank you Mike!

I won't touch a single bolt on the car until I have ALL the stuff it's needed to do the job, so, it may take some time to collect all the parts, but I will wait patiently..

What IC's have you got on your car?

I'll seriously look into intake piping. You are right, since I'll have the tranny out it would be foolish not to do them..
I have the EVOMS 3.5in units. They are great for my power level and probably for yours too. I would look at the 3.5 in units from all tuners. I think larger ones might be overkill unless you plan to go higher in the future

Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Bravo Ema!!!

Good luck with your project!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Very cool Manu. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey to big horse power.

Clutch? I don't know what that is, but....

Bigger injectors AND a second pump are going to be needed.
BIG Intercoolers are a must! Talk to Markski for 2 sec. and you'll realize this. Get the piping or a blow thru system OR go mafless.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I have the EVOMS 3.5in units. They are great for my power level and probably for yours too. I would look at the 3.5 in units from all tuners. I think larger ones might be overkill unless you plan to go higher in the future
I ended up with 3071's by coincidence...I was looking at some k24's from a 6speeder but then a sudden "strange" ticking noise from my engine made me think I had some seriours problem....and that I was going to need a rebuild...and so I backed off from the k24's deal.
Luckily we found the ticking sound came from a leak...the last one of a long list...

So I started to look again into turbos and read a FS post by an european 6speeder that was selling his 3071's for 2000€.....I just couldn't pass on that one..low price, low mileage, and NO CUSTOMS...

Well, now I'm in the game, and I must play...

I'd love to have deep pockets now...to buy all the goodies I need all together, right now ..but I haven't, and I have to be patient...but it's sooo hard to resist at the temptation..

Due to the fact that I will only be running 93oct I think the power will not be "huge" though. Still plenty to show to my Porsche friends here that "Americans do it right" ahah.....

Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
IMHO, 3071s on the stock suspension, even with AWD, is suicidal. Unless you want a one trick highway/drag race pony, I would start there. I've actually put my 16g upgrade on hold because even with a flash, the stock suspension is way behind the rest of the car.

Otherwise, your list (fuel, IC, inlet pipes, clutch) looks good. I assume you're talking about the Sachs 764PP -it may struggle with 3071s on full bore. May want to look into the modded version that clutchmasters does.

If you can source methanol and use a good kit with failsafes and a big tank, the ICs would fall further down the list of "must have" mods.

Last edited by earl3; 01-18-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM
Bravo Ema!!!

Good luck with your project!
Thanks Alex!! I will definitely need some luck!!!Espetially for the install....I don't have a shop in my mind that I would trust to do the work involved in this upgrade...

Very cool Manu. I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey to big horse power.

Clutch? I don't know what that is, but....

Bigger injectors AND a second pump are going to be needed.
BIG Intercoolers are a must! Talk to Markski for 2 sec. and you'll realize this. Get the piping or a blow thru system OR go mafless.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advices my friend!!!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:32 PM
IMHO, 3071s on the stock suspension, even with AWD, is suicidal. Unless you want a one trick highway/drag race pony, I would start there. I've actually put my 16g upgrade on hold because even with a flash, the stock suspension is way behind the rest of the car.
Well, I know you're right on this one....

You know, my car is actually the fastest thing I've ever been on, so I really have NO idea of how it will feel/react with 30's on..

It feels pretty solid right now though (I don't know how much softer the stock US-spec suspension is compared to the Euro-spec one).

As for Meth...well it is very hard to find because it's illegal to store it in pure form...I'm looking at a possible source in Germany.

Last edited by emadelta86; 01-18-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Rollracer is infamous around these parts
Awesome! sub for updates.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
You don't need to wait for all of those extra mods to use those turbos. Just put one under each seat, and it should be good for an extra 200bhp. (You don't even need to unpack them!) I heard that from a guy who owns a Civic that gained 20hp when he added a Type-R sticker to it. Sure, the sticker is across the windshield, and blocks all forward visibility, but it's worth it. Good luck keeping your patience. That seems like a lot of foreplay before the ..., well, you know.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
That seems like a lot of foreplay before the ..., well, you know.
Yeah...I actually quite like it...

I have to try putting them under the seat...it could work!!

I should put an "RS" sticker after the turbo one on the lid as well...that should make for another 20-30hp..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM
TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !TTdude Is a GOD !
Nice way to start your upgrade project. Looking forward to reading about your progress. I'm sure it will be tons of fun.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
earl I have stock suspension with 3076's and it's not suicide unless the driver is an idiot.
Emadelta do it right and do it once

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soooo...a pair of Tial 3071 showed to my door today!