996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

You know what pisses me off about aftermarket clutches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:30 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
You know what pisses me off about aftermarket clutches?

They tell you all this cool stuff about the materials used and how awesome their crap is but don't bother to give you any idea of the torque they are built for. A ~ number would even work. Like I know what a stage four clutch on a 996TT can handle? Vendors please take note. I am not gonna buy a stage 15 clutch because it has a high "stage" number. I want data dammit!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:26 AM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by VAGscum
They tell you all this cool stuff about the materials used and how awesome their crap is but don't bother to give you any idea of the torque they are built for. A ~ number would even work. Like I know what a stage four clutch on a 996TT can handle? Vendors please take note. I am not gonna buy a stage 15 clutch because it has a high "stage" number. I want data dammit!!!

"Stage" sounds cooler

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
At least it aint a Stage Left .. or Stage Right ... perhaps a Stage Center?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:26 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
vag you gonna do any power upgrades?

if no a fibertuff clutch will hold anything you can throw at it so will a kevlar clutch and if your still worried have the fulcrom modded for more clamp load on a sachs 999 motorsports plate.

that will hold into the 700whp range.

stay with a sprung hub clutch also.

P.S. i have one with a lightweight flywheel that might interest ya call me

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
I've been told by Sachs that their 999 pressure plate + special organic disc is officially rated at 900Nm, but will hold more than that.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:10 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OS Inspector
vag you gonna do any power upgrades?

if no a fibertuff clutch will hold anything you can throw at it so will a kevlar clutch and if your still worried have the fulcrom modded for more clamp load on a sachs 999 motorsports plate.

that will hold into the 700whp range.

stay with a sprung hub clutch also.

P.S. i have one with a lightweight flywheel that might interest ya call me
I'll call you sometime this weekend. My clutch has 62k on it and isn't slipping yet, but I am getting a flash here pretty soon. When that clutch goes, I am gonna get one that can handle 16gs just in case. You never know. I want to steer away from the kevlar ones though. I have kevlar on my old car and didn't like it at all. For my driving I like the organic discs. In the end they are more forgiving unless you are doing 1/4 mile runs.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
All Sachs Porsche pressure plates have the 999 part number, the one that ends in 764 (88-3082-999-764) is the one with the highest clamping force and is rated at 950 NM (700 lbs ft) with the 973/098 disc.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:54 AM
big_jay is infamous around these parts
Verry interesting!!

Does any one have sachs part numbers?

The reason I say SACHS is because Changing the clutch to a high performance clutch can be a pain in the you know what is its too race. We all want to have more HP but when we are with the wife its nice to have a nice smooth driving car and not stall it.

In my opinion for VAG with just a flash he sould be ok with the stock clutch... no??
Why compremise the way the car drives if you dont have to...

I have been scrathing ny head for a while with what clutch to run on my car and still have not made a decision. I still want the car to drive like it should. But with K16-24 Turbos I have no choice to make a desision...

Does any one know anything about Sachs clutches?

It would be nice to know what clutch kit does what...

ex:

sachs#123 = 700 hp and stock feel
sachs#124 = 800 hp and race feel

ect....

If any one knows Im sure this would be a good help to all of us!!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Guys take a look here

http://en.sachsperformance.com/sachs-race-performance-clutch/porsche/porsche-911-996-0997/36-turbo-4-m9670-309kw-0600/index.html

There are codes and ratings. Note that ratings are given for Torque (which is the correct way to rate a clutch rather than use HP...)

I'm having a email exchange with them on the "disc friction compound" subject. They tend to suggest the organic one, because they believe the sintered 4 puck is too hard to drive on the street.
They told me that the ratings on the website are underestimated by a considerable margin.
They just told me that they have ANOTHER type of organic disc that will work fine with the aluminum 964 lwfw.
Stay tuned.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Old 01-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I ran with a UMW Stage 2 16/24 Zero Clearance for over 2 years ... and my stock cluth never slipped a bit ...

Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !

Old 01-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I like the sach products, but I also want data on the clutchmaster as well. They offer the fibertough compound but I can't data on it's rated torque capacity. A stock clutch will work well with a flash or hybrid turbos for many people based on their driving habits, but I don't want to underestimate the capabilities of my driving and clutch and re do a clutch job.

The fact is I don't drag race and don't do clutch dumps. I plan on some DEs per year and would like the flexibility for more HP other than a flash without having to re plan the supporting mods required.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
There are a TON of people on the boards with it. The kit I sell, 20-934-HDF I have been using in my 825Kit on the 997TT. I daily drive mine and rarily run race gas to use that power. So normally I am 600 to the wheels. For me, I want a clutch easy to engage in 1st in 2nd so stop lights dont stress me out, but something that will hold the power. This clutch did... 2 Texas Mile events, 5 or so weekend drag races, 2 road races, and 5000 miles of DD. Until recently it started slipping at 1.7bar at 100mph The torque my car puts out is about 600 as well.

Many of my customers take all that above as a testament to the product. But like I said, there is atleast 30 fellow 6speeders here running it. The Clutch Masters is a beefed up Sachs pressure plate and clutch disk. They include in the price the throwout bearing and alignment tool.

If your ready, I have one for you

Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by vividracing
There are a TON of people on the boards with it. The kit I sell, 20-934-HDF I have been using in my 825Kit on the 997TT. I daily drive mine and rarily run race gas to use that power. So normally I am 600 to the wheels. For me, I want a clutch easy to engage in 1st in 2nd so stop lights dont stress me out, but something that will hold the power. This clutch did... 2 Texas Mile events, 5 or so weekend drag races, 2 road races, and 5000 miles of DD. Until recently it started slipping at 1.7bar at 100mph The torque my car puts out is about 600 as well.

Many of my customers take all that above as a testament to the product. But like I said, there is atleast 30 fellow 6speeders here running it. The Clutch Masters is a beefed up Sachs pressure plate and clutch disk. They include in the price the throwout bearing and alignment tool.

If your ready, I have one for you
I appreciate the testemonial, but as originally posted I want data. I know many people like it and I believe that it is a good product. It is a factor of what better fits my needs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: You know what pisses me off about aftermarket clutches?