996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tip fail...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:42 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I doubt it's anything other than fried clutches. Mine had the exact symptoms.

Originally Posted by bad107
so I have been driving the car around town still and it seems that only third gear works. Its really weird...when I first start the car it goes 1st to 2nd and then 3rd and then gets in this mode where it stays in third and nothing can change that (steering wheel shift, M to D on the shifter)...this makes me this it might be something else.....

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Another favor from you in the future.

Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
The Tip is a Mercedes Benz transmission used in 55K line up. All you need is the clutch packs which are not that expensive and its easy to install. According to my friend whom is MB tech Easy peassy and cheap.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:42 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Oh, and BTW..Sharkster...if you got a non-leaking working tiptronic for under $2k you got a steal! They usually sell for $3-4k now.
Ah blast... sorry to hear that. No joke but after I sold my Tip 996TT I literally just gave away a spare trans to a local guy with a high powered tip. Back in 06-07 they were always around 1.5k or so even I'd think with more of the 997TT tips and stuff... ah well

I remember the only real development was done by 9ff (for a large fee) to Craig's car. I was going to go that route but didn't. A lot of other folks talked, discussed but when it came down to it nobody really knew or did anything. I have to say craigs trans did work really well. I don't remember how much it was (maybe 6K)>?

Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
SL600:P Twin turbo torque...

Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
He is 21 years old. When he worked at MB in Sac, they would freight Porsche transmissions to him to rebuilt for track guys across the country. Talk about out sourcing.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Hey bad, iv got some new sky diving equipnent i got at a garage sale. Can u try this stuff out for me?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
It's good to know we have a Porsche transmission guy in the Bay Area; wow, he's young, but I don't discriminate against age.

Alex, humm, I maybe coming in for GT850 if the tip can handle it.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:33 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
He is 21 years old. When he worked at MB in Sac, they would freight Porsche transmissions to him to rebuilt for track guys across the country. Talk about out sourcing.

Is he able to modify the TCU as well?

Does he use different clutch packs or machines the tranny to hold more?

A rebuilt of the clutch packs is not expensive, but it will just break again unless something is modified. If he has done many of these, please ask if he would be interested in talking to me...I would love a cheaper alternative and don't mind shipping the tranny.

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 03:40 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Wink

Originally Posted by pumptech
Hey bad, iv got some new sky diving equipnent i got at a garage sale. Can u try this stuff out for me?
Sure, all my friends are going. Too bad you can't come.
http://www.funvid.eu/index.php?page=...&vid_id=105549

Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Is he able to modify the TCU as well?

Does he use different clutch packs or machines the tranny to hold more?

A rebuilt of the clutch packs is not expensive, but it will just break again unless something is modified. If he has done many of these, please ask if he would be interested in talking to me...I would love a cheaper alternative and don't mind shipping the tranny.

Thanks!
Hey,

Have you actually read the TCU to see the codes? That is the first thing you should be doing because until you got those, you can speculate but not know for sure.

Have you had the "tiptronic limp mode" in red on your dash?

I am not saying it won't be the clutch pack for the 3rd gear, but it also can be a lot of other things.

Just so you know, the value coded for tq limits in the TCU is 700nm. If that is tripped it stores a pcode in the TCU. If you recycle the ignition 40 times without exceeding again , the code will be removed.

If you are upgrading you should be: -
1) Upgrading the housing to allow more clutches in the same banks
2) Upgrading the value body to the latest version - this helps with shifting.
3) Using upgraded clutches like kelvar unless you are not going to be near to 700nm in which case you can use standard Porsche clutches.

You can upgrade the TC for higher stall limit. It has nothing to do with dealing with extra hp/tq.

You can upgrade to the latest version of the TCU (ending in 04) if you have a 2000-2002 model year). There was no upgrade to tranmission in 2003 except for TCU and upgrade value body.

An upgrade like I have described above will cope with 1300nm tq. You have to modify the TCU to increase the tq limit.

For those who say well I have be running high tq on standard box, then you have to ask the question - have you really been running over 700nm. It is in the coding of the TCU!!

If you got other questions let me know.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
996alot?..... Where the hell u been! We coulda used u on tiptronic info thread. Thanks for info and keep it comin. When u say upgrade housing, is there a larger housing on other models vs my 2002 and bads 2001? There are lots of unanswered questions about tips.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
akram is going to scan my car and let me know

i have not had any warning lights...i have had a few "tiptronic emergency runs" but not for the past month or two.

according to akram, he will machine and drum the clutch area and use better clutches, mod the TCU (not sure what exactly), and rebuiltd the TC to a higher stall.

He said he has tried to use different valve bodies, but it was like a whiplash each time it shifted...

as far as the torque limits, i thought the 996 did not have any, just the 997...

Last edited by bad107; 01-25-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 PM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pumptech
996alot?..... Where the hell u been! We coulda used u on tiptronic info thread. Thanks for info and keep it comin. When u say upgrade housing, is there a larger housing on other models vs my 2002 and bads 2001? There are lots of unanswered questions about tips.
Just been busy. Have done some posts on some 997 threads about VE etc, so been around.

When I say housing, we are talking about the physical size of the internal housing where the clutch packs are. The housing on the 722.3/6 MB boxes are the same regardless of year. By increasing the housing size, you can fit more clutches in the same space. The third to four gear has the smallest number of clutches in the pack. Crazy since that is probably the most used tq shift change.

I will be more activate on things from 1st March. Will explain nearer the time.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
akram is going to scan my car and let me know

i have not had any warning lights...i have had a few "tiptronic emergency runs" but not for the past month or two.

according to akram, he will machine and drum the clutch area and use better clutches, mod the TCU (not sure what exactly), and rebuiltd the TC to a higher stall.

He said he has tried to use different valve bodies, but it was like a whiplash each time it shifted...

as far as the torque limits, i thought the 996 did not have any, just the 997...
First point - I have the latest value body on my tip. There is no whiplash during shifts. I have heard that before but never experienced that. I ran a 5.9 60-130 the other night and a 5.8 0-100 with 2 shifts in each. Smooth as anything.

If you upgrade the value body, and have a 2003+ tip car, then you have the latest TCU anyway. If you upgrade the clutches, then you need to modify the EEPROM for the tq parameter to increase it to whatever limit you know the new clutches will hold. Mine is set for 1300nm. It does hold because the same box is used in the R1000 Black AMG done by MKB recently which has 1012hp/1300nm tq.

It is torque that is killing your tip box. The clutches slip. Then the ATF heats up. And then you are toast.

When I done my kit on my car with std Tip box, it took only 20 miles at 1 bar and I think I had something like 15 pcodes in the TCU. Box was toast.

Now I have no issues.

If you are getting your guy to do the upgrade, then get him to also do the input shaft seal at the same time. This is a common failure and not a big job whilst the gearbox is open.

Finally, check what the rear diff in the tip box is like. Drop the oil and see the colour. If it is burnt black, then you are also going to have problems with this. The least you should do is refresh the oil in the diff.

You will know when the diff is starting to go because you will start getting a whining noise.

I have upgraded by TC. Had it cut open by a TC machine shop, brazened all the parts to strengthen etc.

Ken

Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
When you say the latest valve bodies, what do you mean?

Whiteknight mentioned that he upgrades the oil lines..he said the TCU mod doesn't do much until you put bigger lines in.

Do you have a contact at MKB I can talk to about getting them to do my tranny?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tip fail...